The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Private Party Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
I have several books on getting the gigs, but I want to focus more on private parties now. None of the books I have really focus on the small private parties and where to find them. I perform mentalism, and for me, the small group is where I perform best. Does anyone have any suggestions on how and who to reach in that market? I've tried the party planners with little luck. Any tips or book suggestions would be appreciated.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
The stuff by Mark Stiving and Richard Webster are just that... I have their courses, but I don't have the names (of the courses) at my finger-tips, but they are all about the "Private Party" business.

Maybe someone else here or a quick Google will do the trick for ya.

Good luck!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I will add that the same principle of success marketing apply by n' large, so MOST of the stuff you already own or have access to basically apply already. Honestly, there really is no "magic bullet" marketing insights... the library will do it for ya' for free! (So will the internet and some stuff here as well...) All you are missing really is ACTION. "ACTION will overcome ignorance any-day of the week!" - Go on... book more shows with what you know!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Rappel,

Private parties mostly come from self promotion and word of mouth. You do a party and one or more people like what you do enough that they hire you for their party. Always be ready to strut your stuff no matter where you are. Do a little routine at a restaraunt, a ball game, a fair, the mall, ect. Hand out business cards and don't be shy about telling people you're available. It's a slow process I know but that seems to be how I get most of my private party gigs.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Howdy again Rappel,

The good news is that there is a TON of ways to amplify your business success and get the business ball rolling... some slow, some faster and even some more effective than others.

Certainly doing what Kipp suggested is a grass-roots marketing sort of suggestion and will eventually produce gigs. This is a good thing! Think ALSO in terms of a more 'pro-active' and effective outreach.

Begin to be pro-active with your friends, family, professional associates and extended sphere of influence, but it's OK to be more (appropriately) pro-active as well.

THINK IN TERMS OF, where does your target audience gather en' mass. Where can you expose your business to larger groups of buyers in addition to what Kipp suggested as well. No need to wait for business to come to YOU... YOU go get em' and grow your-own success faster than just a few small group, chance encounters may provide.

Success and Marketing is something that you DO, NOT something that happens to you, so do what-ever it takes to get in front of your target group.

THIS, you already knew. Pretty common sense isn't it?

What is your target audience?
- Birthday Party Moms (Those are private parties)
- Corporate Functions (Those are private parties)
- In Home Adult (Psy) Parties... etc.

Where do those buyers gather en' mass?

Answer that for you and your particular party niche and business growth and you will know where to find and expose your party & business solution for those target audiences all at one time.

Now you have at-least two VERY simple, but VERY actionable solutions to grow your business. I doubt that these were any sort of true 'revelation' or V-8 type of moment for you, so the question is; based on what you already know, what are you doing to improve your business and success bottom line right now while waiting for more ideas and suggestions for marketing your business? (BOTH are good, but what are you doing NOW?)

REMEMBER: There is more information in the library, the internet and right here, right now, all free, than any one individual will ever be able to use let alone read!

"The KEY to success lies in the simple fact that Successful People have formed the habit of DOING the things that Un-Successful People are un-willing to do... regardless of how they FEEL!"

- Success is a VERB!
- It requires ACTION!
- It doesn't matter how you FEEL!

Go get em' tiger! - Woo Hoo!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><

LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Rappel,

I are looking for corporate private parties, in-house private parties at residences, or both?
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
I'm looking to do more in-house parties at residences. I've worked restaurants, night clubs, comedy clubs, and some corporate shows,but these jobs I've gotten by just talking to the manager, or whoever is in charge, then showing him what I do. I've never had to market myself. But all the suggestions everyone is giving is greatly appreciated.
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Oh yea, I perform mentalism, and magic with a mental spin to it. Back in the early 90's I did close-up magic at a popular night club here in Memphis, and added a few mental tricks, and got a much more powerful response than my general magic. I found out that with my specific look and personality, mentalism worked great for me. I struggled with kids magic, never really cared for learning knuckle breaking moves, though I love watching it. I've always been fasinated in the paranormal, so mentalism is a perfect fit for me.
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
This method seems to work for me. It is an idea that I learned from Eugene Burger during a Masters Class several years ago:

While you are working any close-up gig (restaurant, corporate, etc.), near the end of your routine. Use patter in a routine and reference a story about a "private party" that you were working a few days ago in "XXXX" (whatever is the most upscale housing development is in your town). After the trick, about 1 in 3 will ask, "...you do private parties?" They will, then, ask for your business card. Thank them for their attention and leave.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
That's good Lee.

As Deano stated you have to look for the places that your target audience hangs out. I have found that the people who throw up scale parties are usually business owners who want to do something special for their customers. A good source for these people is your local Chamber of Commerce. Join them and show up at as many of their events that you can and do some entertaining while handing out business cards. This is an audience of decision makers and if they like what they see then they will have the money to follow through.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Back when I was working restaurants several days a week, I found that most of my spectators were not aware that I was available for private party work. You have to educate your potential clients as to what is availble. Additionally, most will grossly underestimate your rates and will be shocked when you first tell them. However, always start with a very high price and work down.
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Thanx ya'll. I've been a member since 04, but never really participated, just read what everyone else had written.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Private Party Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL