The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A New Magician to Hit the Air? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not cutting anyone any slack on this kind of silly spelling error. Why? Because it can be checked in less than one second on Google. And it's more than just a spelling error. It's a false accusation. See, that's the problem. If there was just one person whose name was something like John Edward, then it wouldn't make any difference. But that's not the case. You have a prominent Senator and a ballroom dance instructor who has suddenly contracted psychic powers being confused for one another.

About a quarter of the population of the US actually have Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers on their cars, left over from the last election. This is not rocket science.

And every time some magician publicizes that he is going to take on John Edwards because he is a fraudulent psychic, it makes all magicians look like doofuses.

Remember what Mark Twain said -- "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

What would happen if, just for fun, a talk show host managed to do a video link to Washington with Curtis on the show and grill Senator Edwards about psychic powers? It would make Curtis a laughingstock. He doesn't need that kind of publicity.

Curtis has reported the spelling error to his publicist, as have I. I don't think he will be making this mistake again.

There's an old story about false assumptions.

An elderly matron goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, I have a horrible problem. Actually, it's embarrassing, but not all that horrible. I break wind very frequently.

"I may be addressing the Ladies' Aid Society or the Garden Club, and during my speech, I will pass wind several times. But nobody is aware of it, because there is no odor or sound. In fact, you don't realize this, but I have passed wind six times, just while I was telling you about my problem.

"Is there anything you can do to help me?"

The doctor replied, "Yes, ma'am. I can give you something to take care of that gas. But I think we need to get you a hearing aid and something to clear up your sinuses first."

So, it's better to learn early on what your mistake is than to have it spread all across the country on nationwide television.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Right on, Bill.
It's all in the reflexes.
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
I agree, if this is suppose to be such a huge thing to make a show about and hit the media and all that, I think someone should atleast take the 1 SECOND to make sure things are spelt correctly as it is things like this that can kill your reputation and make you look completley unprofessional.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a fellow whose name everyone here would recognize who put out a promo pack that had a lot of bogus endorsements in it. Among them was an endorsement from "Tom Browkow." OOOOPS!

There is another fellow whose name everyone here would recognize who has an endorsement from Wolf Blitzer. This one is real.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Well, if challenging Blaine wasn't cool enough..lol. Curtis has a new trick up his sleeve. Returing from the dead???

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1300/
This made me giggle!
I've been training these cards since they were small.
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
Hmmm.........idk bout this.
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
WHY is challenging David Blaine cool? David Blaine carved out a unique nitch for himself and he didn't do it on other people's coat tails. That said, where is the announcement that Blaine accepted or declined the challenge? There sure was a lot of talk about the potential announcement, but no word on what he said. My guess was he said, 'Curtis who'?
Harold White
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
Curtis Eugene Lovell II, an up-and-coming escape artist and illusionist, who has cut Paris Hilton in half for her television show the Simple Life, and publicly challenged David Blaine and noted psychic John Edward to magic duels, and has appeared on the USA network Road Characters presenting his cube of death, will perform his greatest stunt ever after his passing.

nice run-on sentence.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Who is going to take you seriously with these type of errors??
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I thought that the last time this nonsense was top of the topic and all of the grief he took was enough.

Oh well.

This is why I am embarassed to tell people what I do for a living.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Oh boy, another lame grandstand challenge. Two in fact. Way to head off public perception of magicians as egotistical jerks.
Cris Angel got carried away with calling out David Blaine back when he was still an alternative act and it only served to alienate people who were buying into the "Blaine's dark side" thing he was doing. His current success is in spite of, not because of, that particular play, it was his artistry and work ethic that got him where he is. In any case, David Blaine's success comes from subtleties that his critics and imitators alike fail to pick up on, but that's an issue for another time.
As for Johnathan Edward, that's like shooting fish in a barrel. Penn and Teller, James Randi and for that matter anyone who's objectively watched his show for ten minutes have already debunked/laughed at that moron, but it's nice that someone is finally willing to step forward and be Our Hero. Maybe he could also be the guy to expose David Icke.

He has exposed one thing though, the fact that editors will post any press release sent them without proofreading. Aside from the "calling out a politician as a fake psychic" gaff mentioned above, get a load of this gem from his cryogenic press release;

Quote:
This is where after his natural death or an accidental death preceding any of his stunts, Lovell will immediately be frozen until modern technology will be able to revive him.

So if he accidentally steps in a mantrap on his way to the stage, he's covered. Tough luck if he dies as a result of the stunt itself, though.

I haven't seen this guy perform and I'm sure he's great, but so far he not only looks like a jerk but someone that's not even good at being a jerk.
Even when done competently, grandstand challenges accomplish nothing.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Looks like he recently showed up in the TV Guide.
http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800009082
I've been training these cards since they were small.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I followed the link and watched the clip of the "Great Cube of Death...a similar effect that the Great Houdini once performed," as the magician claims (we now know his bad grammar isn't limited to his press releases). Seems to me it's not so "deadly" if one has 6" of air in the top of the cube.

Still, good for him for getting some great TV time.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Curtis PM'd me and explained that the gap in the top of the cube was a mistake that wasn't able to be fixed. That stinks, man. Oh, well. Still good air time.

Also - I found this kind of interesting. This is from the blog of one of the actors on the show.

Source:http://www.usanetwork.com/movies/charact......g16.html

Quote:
I don't know if you've ever met a magician before, but they're kinda weird. Like very secretive. They always seem to be up to something. Our character Curtis Lovell was no different.

I've spent some time around magicians in the past (don't ask ... Fine! His name was Larry), anyhow, the one trait they all seem to have in common (besides mischievousness) is confidence. Curtis, however, did not appear to be very confident. Now, I can't say for sure if it's because our crew was there and he realized that he would be seen by millions of people across America, or what, but he seemed nervous.

I soon began to realize that perhaps he was nervous about "The Cube of Death." The Cube of Death is a trick made famous by the great Houdini in which the magician is shackled inside a cube barely large enough to contain him, and then the lid is locked, and then he has to free himself.

To perform such a feat, one would need to be able to hold his breath for quite a while (or learn how to breathe the air from the air pockets in the top of the cube—wink,wink, nudge, nudge).

For Curtis, the trick is especially scary because he has a fear of drowning. For Jaron and I, it was our first real acting gig as we had to pretend he really performed the feat, when in fact he didn't.

But that does not take away from the fact that Curtis Lovell is a character. And all characters are welcome, even if they fake it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A New Magician to Hit the Air? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL