The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: "Brain Waver" by Bill Goldman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Hi everyone,

I'm a big Bill Goldman fan so I thought I'd give a quick review on this relatively new effect/trick of his, called "Brain Waver". Hope you all find it useful!

Brain Waver is a little booklet, 6 pages long, with a picture of a die denoting each page number...quite fitting for the effect.

As mentioned in the ad's effect description, this mentalism-type effect is based on a mathematical principle and in turn has been used as the basis of an Internet mindreading effect (Wayne Hoffman's "The Flash Mindreader" idea). Later on this idea was taken "further" using random playing cards. Bill's effect takes this principle, including other great ideas, into the realm of words and imagery which in my opinion can play pretty big to almost any size audience. The principle itself is simple enough. But the booklet includes a narrative that Bill might give when presenting this to people and it makes everything seem much more impossible that it really is...absolutely incredible! He includes all of the subtleties, nuances, ideas, etc. that makes the ending quite powerful and memorable.

With a random roll of 2 dice, a spectator is guided to another random number using a simple calculation...everything seems very fair and random from the spectator's point of view. In summary, the spectator has a random number created by the roll of the dice. The spectator is then presented with a random and diverse list of words. He is asked to form an image and visualize that word which falls at the random number he got to a moment ago. And for the finale, it all depends on how you want to reveal this image that they have in their minds. But the main point is, the performer knows that image and can reveal it anyway he wants to...it will work all of the time regardless of what set of 2 numbers they roll and ultimately what image/word they're asked to envision from a long list of different word choices.

Bill provides 2 sets of lists which you can use, but of course you can construct your own unique list of words that will reflect your performance style and presentation. As mentioned, he touches on some very important things to include in what you say and how you present this mental effect. He explains why he says what he says too...which I found extremely valuable. Also, if you don't have dice, Bill also includes another way to do this without them - which is great if all you have is the list of words, a piece of paper and a writing tool.

I like this idea...it's simple and yet with the right presentation, you can easily build this up into a stunning feat of mindreading ability and mental invasion.

digitaltrip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: "Brain Waver" by Bill Goldman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL