The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Benefit Appearances (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As I'm sure many of you are, I am being deluged with fall requests for benefit, fundraiser & charity appearances. I already have a formal "Benefit Appearances Agreement" that I require any charity I perform for to sign. To help weed out the cheap, disorganized and indifferent I've simplified the contract's legal language and posted the following guidelines on my website as a separate "Benefit Appearance Guidelines" page. I'd be interested in your advice and suggestions. Is it too strict? Too loose? Too Informal? Unnecessary? Too harsh? Frankly, I'm trying to say "Meet my terms or look elsewhere." Thanks for your time!!

<<As Happy Dan the Magic Man, it goes without saying that I love children. I have dedicated my life to protecting, entertaining and educating these wee gifts of Creation. I actively support a number of programs and charities that provide for the welfare and education of our children. Unfortunately, the charities and social programs far outnumber me thousands to one and I earn my living as an entertainer.

If you are considering asking me to provide free or reduced-fee entertainment services for a fundraising program or charity appearance, please consider the following requirements:

1.For business reasons, I limit donated appearances to two (2) per month. The children's hospital charities and Make-A-Wish Foundation have priority over these slots as my preferred charities. Any remaining slots may be available per the following conditions.

2.Preferential consideration for benefit appearances is given to those organizations and agencies that use or profitably refer my paid professional services at some point through the year. All too often, I'll be called as the "Free Entertainer" while my competitors, who refuse to donate their services, are hired at their full rates for funded events. This is just plain wrong.

3.I provide donated services only to recognized and established children's hospitals and certified children's charities. Not-for-profit agencies such as churches, fundraising events, schools, Scouts, PTAs, community events and the like do not qualify as charities.

4.All promotional materials including but not limited to press kits, registration kits, advertisements, television and radio commercials, flyers, postcards, posters, billboards, programs, handbills, emails and website listings must promote my appearance as "Happy Dan the Magic Man, The Triangle's Favorite Family Entertainer!" My logo and photo are available on request. Listing me as "a magician", "entertainment", "a magic show" or anything less violates this requirement and I may refuse further support for your event.

5.If I am asked to donate my services I fully expect every other entertainer and artist appearing at the event to have donated their services. If I learn that a competitor has been paid to appear, even at a discounted rate, and a comparable offer was not made to me, I may refuse to further support your event. Please consider that the time I commit to your event takes away from my potential income from other events. Once I commit to your event, I will keep my word and appear; unlike other performers who may blow your event off if a higher paying job offer comes in.

6.I am not a volunteer. My time, skill and experience have value. By donating these services, I become an event sponsor. If the hosting organization provides sponsor recognition or advertising opportunities, I require compensation in-kind for the level of services I am providing. These include and are not limited to:

a.Recognition as a named sponsor at a level equal to or exceeding the cost of my donated services. For Example: If my full fee for a donated appearance is $1000.00 then I should be recognized as a $1000.00 level sponsor.

b.Inclusion at the level of my donated services as a paid advertiser in any host organization event program, promotion or other publication. For Example: If a full page ad sells for $1000.00 and my standard appearance fee would have been $1000.00, I require compensation with a complimentary full page ad fully equal to those of other paid advertisers at that level. Camera ready artwork in various sizes and formats is available on request.

c.Failing to offer these options to me, if available, may result in my refusing to support your event further.

7.I am a skilled and experienced performance artist. If the organizers host a number of performance locations throughout the event site, I reserve the right to choose a performance site that best suits my performance needs and program goals. Placing me next to a jazz band or in a dark, out-of-the-way spot does not help me promote my skills and art. If I am unable to promote my skills in a sound manner due to a poor location or excessive distractions I may refuse to further support your event.

8.Benefit appearances include up to 45 minutes of walk-around magic per hour or one (1) 30-minute magic show per hour.

a.Full stage magic shows for very large crowds require a suitable sound system, elevated platform stage and possible lighting requirements. If the crowd can't hear or see me, I can't perform. I can provide my own sound, stage and light systems at my standard rental rates with advance notice. Sound, stage and light systems are not part of my donation package. Please call for details.

b.Street performance shows for small to medium crowds can be handled at street level. I can provide my own portable sound system with advance notice.

c.No restrictions will be placed on the display and distribution of my personal promotional materials at my performance site to include and not limited to banners, public address announcements, stage displays, busines cards, flyers, brochures, posters, photographs and so on.

d.Host must provide a suitable out-of-public-view location for costume changes, breaks from the weather and suitable out-of-public-view bathroom facilities.

9.Benefit appearances do not include balloon art or face painting. Magic performances only. If desired, I can provide skilled face painting and balloon sculpting artists at $XXX.00 per hour.

10.I maintain a very tight performance and travel schedule. I must have complete and easy access to and egress from the performance area.

a.I require a reserved parking space within 50 feet of my performance area.

b.If I cannot park my vehicle within 50 feet of the performance area, the event host must provide me with either transportation or sufficient and appropriate manpower to carry my gear to the performance zone from the parking lot and back again. Said transportation and/or manpower will be available immediately following my show to return me to my vehicle with my gear.

c.I must be able to leave the area in my vehicle immediately following my show. I once donated two hours of my time to a charity within a single access park. All vehicle traffic into and out of the park was halted for a scheduled Triathalon event and I was trapped for another three hours past my departure time. As a result, I missed two scheduled for-pay events. Host organizers were not concerned.

d.Any income lost from scheduled events missed due to my inability to leave the performance or parking area on schedule will be billed to the hosting organization. Payment is due on demand. This is a nonnegotiable requirement for my appearance at any event.

e.Every hour or fraction of an hour that I am delayed beyond my scheduled departure time by conditions beyond my control will be billed to the event organizers at my stanrd and full hourly appearance rate. Payment is due on demand. This is a nonnegotiable requirement for my appearance at any event.

11.These terms and conditions are guidelines to protect my livelihood and business as a professional entertainer. As such, they may be negotiable. Once an agreement is reached and signed, however, any deviation from the terms of that agreement will result in contracted penalty clauses which may include immediate voiding of the donation and subsequent billing at standard rates for services rendered. In this event, a bill for all services rendered at standard performance rates will be presented to the host organization. Said bill is payable on demand in accordance with the terms of the signed agreement. >>
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I like it. It shows me that you are serious about your work and will get rid of those organizations whom we all have experienced. The only thing I do different from you, is I only do complete free shows to two Charities a year. I might be persuaded otherwise if said charity work was not on a weekend which is prime time for us performers.

I like secion 3. That really puts things into perspective. Especially the boy scouts. I can't recall the number of calls I have had from the scouts for free entertainment.

I also like 5 also. It makes a very good point.

Point number 10 has always been a problem with any event. With you permission I would like to use some of your wording in my contracts.

In regards to number 9. I have only donated balloon twisting to one charity that I regularly did free of charge, but I had it that they provided the balloons. I have also done events where I charge per balloon/face painting with a portion of the proceeds going to the charity (never exceeds 50%). And I also get a Charitable receipt for the money donated.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I generally draw a lot of attention at benefits that take the time to properly promote and include me. For this reason, I don't mind supporting a couple of reasonable events each month as they nearly always translate into increased business. As I always say, I am my own best advertising.

The problem is getting them to properly promote and include us. To most charities we are little more than a square-filling afterthought...volunteers rather than supporting sponsors...so we have to take it upon ourselves to change this focus. My benefit show kit includes camera ready artwork & photos, standard press releases & procedures, media contacts, bio and so on. You'd be surprised how little some of these event organizers actually know (or care) about promoting an event...let alone YOU!

Feel free to adapt anything that works for you, Bill...and thanks for the advice.

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I really like this. Do you mind if I use it? My personal opinion is that the end result will be more paid gigs. When I was a part-time professional, I got more of these requests than I do now.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Lee, you and all of our Café peers are welcome to adapt any part of this that may work for you. I offer it freely. Thank you and Bill, however, for asking first.

nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Skip,
This is great! Thanks for sharing.
I know most of us do give of our time to help charities, but I for one hate to be taken advantage of.
Thanks again,
Harry
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2433 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Outstanding!

I took the liberty of doing a little editing (for clarity and tone) and added one clause (number 10) - hope you like it.

------------------------

As Happy Dan the Magic Man, I actively support programs and charities that promote the welfare and education of our children. I am glad to consider requests to donate my services to these causes. However, I earn my living and support my family as an entertainer, and the number of requests I receive far exceed the time I can offer.

If you are considering asking me to provide free or reduced-fee entertainment services for a fundraising program or charity appearance, please consider the following guidelines and requirements. I am serious about them, and if they are not met I may decline to appear, and violating certain conditions will result in charges to your organization.

1. For business reasons, I must limit donated appearances to two per month. Please understand that I may have granted requests from other worthy causes who asked first.

2. I donate services only to children's hospitals and recognized and established children's charities. Not-for-profit agencies such as churches, fundraising events, schools, Scouts, PTAs, community events and the like do not qualify as charities.

3.I’ll be more likely to help you if you have hired me, or referred my paid professional services, previously. Too often, when an organization plans a funded event, my competitors are hired at their full rates, and I'll be called only when you need a "free entertainer." This is just plain wrong.

4. All of your promotional materials, such as press kits, advertisements, television and radio ads, flyers, postcards, posters, programs, emails and website listings must promote my appearance as "Happy Dan the Magic Man, The Triangle's Favorite Family Entertainer!" Listing me as "a magician", "entertainment", "a magic show" or anything less is not sufficient. My logo and photo are available on request.

5. When I donate my services, every other entertainer appearing at the event must have donated their services. If a competitor is paid to appear, even at a discounted rate, a comparable offer must be made to me. Please remember that if I agree to appear at your event I will keep my word and appear, unlike some other performers who may fail to keep their commitment to you if a higher paying job offer comes in.

6. I am not a volunteer. By donating my services, I become an event sponsor. My appearances have value when I sell them, and if you (or a separate hosting organization) provide sponsor recognition or advertising, I must be compensated in-kind for the value of the services I am providing. These include:

a. Recognition as a named sponsor at a level equal to or exceeding my regular fee for my donated services. For example: If my full fee for a donated appearance is $1000.00 then I should be recognized as a $1000.00 level sponsor. As we arrange my appearance, I will advise you of my regular fee for the services I am donating to you.

b. Inclusion as a paid advertiser in any host-organization event program, promotion or other publication. For example: If a full-page ad sells for $1000 and my standard appearance fee would have been $1000, I require a complimentary full-page ad equal to those of other paid advertisers. Camera ready artwork in various sizes and formats is available on request.

7. My work is most effective under certain conditions, and useless under others. If the organizers plan a number of performance locations throughout the event site, I reserve the right to choose a performance site that best suits my performance needs.

8. Benefit appearances include up to 45 minutes of walk-around magic per hour or one 30-minute magic show per hour.

a. Full stage shows for large crowds require a suitable sound system, elevated platform stage and possible lighting requirements. If you don’t have a suitable sound, stage and light system, I can provide one at my standard rental rates with advance notice. Such systems are not part of my donation package. Please call for details.

b. Street performance shows for small to medium crowds can be handled at street level. I can provide my own portable sound system with advance notice.

c. No restrictions will be placed on the display and distribution at my performance site of my personal promotional materials, such as banners, public address announcements, stage displays, business cards, flyers, brochures, posters, and photographs.

d. Host must provide a suitable out-of-public-view location for personal needs, including bathroom facilities, for costume changes, rest breaks, etc.

9. Benefit appearances include magic performances only, not balloon art or face painting. I can provide skilled face painting and balloon sculptors at $XXX per hour.

10. I expect to begin and finish my performances on time.

11. My schedule on work days includes paying performances at other locations. Therefore, I must have complete and easy access to and egress from the performance area.

a. I require a reserved parking space within 50 feet of my performance area.

b. If I cannot park within 50 feet of the performance area, the event host must provide either transportation or sufficient manpower to carry my gear from the parking area to the performance zone, and back again immediately following my scheduled appearance.

c. My vehicle must be able to leave the area immediately following my show. I once donated time within a single-access park, and all traffic in and out was halted for a Triathalon event. I was trapped for three hours past my departure time, and as a result I could not get to two scheduled paying events. Host organizers hadn’t thought about it, and were not in the least concerned. Any income lost due to my inability to leave the performance or parking area on schedule will be billed to the hosting organization. Payment is due on demand. This is a nonnegotiable requirement for my appearance at any event.

12. These terms and conditions are designed to improve the value you get from my efforts, and ensure my ability to offer support to your charity and others. They were written after long and sometimes hard experience. Some terms may be negotiable, but once we reach an agreement any deviation from the agreed-upon terms will result in immediate voiding of my donation, and I will bill you at standard rates for services rendered (or impose the other specified penalties). In this event, a bill for any resulting charges will be presented to the host organization, payable on demand in accordance with the terms of the signed agreement.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ross, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. An improved and more professional way of saying what I wanted to say. And the added clause is an excellent idea. Thank you VERY much. You're Hired!

Skip Smile

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Here's the revised version incorporating Ross's great ideas and a few others offered along the way. If you can use it any portion of it, please feel free to do so with my compliments. Credit would be appreciated.

If you are considering asking me to provide free or reduced-fee entertainment services for a fundraising program or charity appearance, please consider the following guidelines and requirements.

1. For business reasons, I must limit donated appearances to two per month. Donated appearances are selected based on my personal preferences, availability and compatibility with my business goals.

2. Please note: I donate my services only to children's hospitals and recognized and established children's charities. Not-for-profit agencies such as churches, fundraising events, schools, Scouts, PTAs, community events and the like do not qualify as charities.

3. All benefit requests must be submitted in writing. Please submit all requests at least 45 days in advance of the event. Emailed submissions are acceptable. Telephone requests will not be considered. Each submitted request should include:

a. The formal Host charity name, address and official website, if available.

b. The name, title, telephone number, email address and postal address of the Host contact.

c. Day of week, date, time and specific location of the event.

d. Planned objectives or goals of this particular event.

e. Conditions under which the desired service(s) will be presented. (i.e., indoors/outdoors, on a stage, roaming the event location, crowd size, etc)

f. Parking arrangements and arrangements for access to the stage/performance area.

g. A detailed description of the desired service(s) and time you wish me to donate.

h. Marketing and promotion plans; specifically how my business will be included.

i. Sponsor recognition and Sponsor advertising opportunities.

j. Any terms outlined on this page that you feel need to be negotiated.

k. Rain date arrangements, if appropriate.

4. Organizations that have hired me at my full rate for funded events or steadily referred my paid professional services prior to this request will be given priority consideration over the available slots.

5. All event promotional materials including press kits, event packets, sponsorship packets, advertisements, television and radio ads, flyers, brochures, postcards, posters, programs, billboards, emails and website listings must promote my appearance as "Happy Dan the Magic Man, The Triangle's Favorite Family Entertainer!" Listing me generically as "a magician", "entertainment", "a magic show" or anything less is not sufficient. A press kit with digital logos and photos is available on request. Copies of all promotional materials must be made available to me at least two weeks prior to the event date. Failure to comply is a potential deal breaker.

6. When I donate my services, every other entertainer appearing at the event must also have donated their services. If a competitor is paid to appear, even at a discounted rate, a comparable offer must be made to me. Failure to do so will result in the immediate cancellation of my appearance.

7. By donating my services, I become an event sponsor. I am not a volunteer. My appearances have value when I sell them, and if you (or a separate hosting organization) provide sponsor recognition or advertising, I must be compensated in-kind for the value of the services I am providing. These include:

a. Recognition as a named sponsor at a level equal to or exceeding my regular fee for my donated services. For example: If my standard fee for a donated appearance is $1000 then I should be recognized as a $1000 level sponsor. For your information, our Benefit Appearance Agreement will include my standard fee for the services I am donating.

b. Inclusion as a paid advertiser in any host-organization event program, promotion or other publication. For example: If a full-page ad in an event program sells for $1000 and my standard appearance fee would have been $1000, I require a complimentary full-page ad equal to those of other paid advertisers. Digital ad artwork in various sizes and formats is available on request.

8. I am a skilled performance artist. My work is most effective under certain conditions, and useless under others. For Example: Placing me next to a Jazz band hinders my ability to perform. If the organizers plan a number of performance locations throughout the event site, I reserve the right to choose a performance site that best suits my performance needs.

9. Generally, my benefit appearances include up to 45 minutes of family-structured walk-around comedy and magic per hour or one comparable 30-minute magic show per hour. If your needs differ, please be specific in your written request.

a. Full stage shows for large crowds require a suitable sound system, elevated platform stage and, if necessary, suitable lighting. If you don’t have a suitable sound, stage and light system, I can provide each at my standard rental rates with advance notice. Such systems are not part of my donation package. Please call for details.

b. Street and roaming performances for small to medium crowds can be handled at street or floor level. If needed, I can provide my own portable sound system with advance notice.

c. No restrictions will be placed on the display and distribution at my performance site of my personal promotional materials, such as banners, public address announcements, stage displays, business cards, flyers, brochures, posters, and photographs.

d. If appropriate to the event, I may either employ a labeled tip container and/or provide souvenir and magic-related items for sale at my performance site .

e. Host must provide a suitable out-of-public-view location for personal needs, including bathroom facilities, costume changes, rest breaks, etc.

10. Benefit appearances include magic performances only. Balloon art and face painting are not included. If desired, I can usually provide skilled face painters and balloon sculptors at a reasonable hourly rate.

11. My daily schedule usually includes a number of paying performances at other locations. Delays can cost me clients and income. Therefore, I expect to begin and finish my performances on time. Scheduled performances delayed for any reason will be cut short or abandonded to remain on schedule.

12. I require guaranteed and easy access to and egress from the performance area and parking lot.

a. I require a reserved parking space within 50 feet of my performance area.

b. If I cannot park within 50 feet of the performance area, the event Host must provide either transportation or sufficient manpower to carry my gear from the parking area to the performance zone, and back again immediately following my scheduled appearance.

c. I and my vehicle must be able to leave the area immediately following my show as scheduled.

d. Every hour or fraction of an hour that my departure is delayed for any reason beyond my control will be billed to the event Host at my standard hourly rate. Payment is due on demand. This is a nonnegotiable and fully enforced requirement for my appearance at any event.

13. Each appearance requires a written and binding Benefit Appearance Agreement signed by the two most senior local officers/organizers for the Host organization. The signed agreement is enforceable under North Carolina commercial laws and statutes and will be submitted for enforcement through the North Carolina Small Claims Judicial System, if necessary.

14. These terms and conditions are designed to improve the value you get from my efforts, and ensure my ability to offer support to your charity and others. They were written after long and sometimes hard experience. Any deviation from the terms of the signed agreement will result in immediate voiding of my donation and I will bill the Host organization at my standard rates for services rendered (or impose the other specified penalties). In this event, a statement for any resulting charges will be presented to the Host organization, payable on demand in accordance with the terms of the signed agreement.

:) Café Peers...your corrections, suggestions and advice are welcome. Smile

Skip

Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Skip,

I have mixed feelings about your approach.

From the perspective of a performer I say, "Great! These are exactly the things I would want also. And spelling it out very clearly in a written agreement leaves no room for misunderstanding. Way to go!"

From the perspective of someone who is looking for a free show, the entire document is a little overwhelming. I think it might scare people off (which may not be a bad thing!) and possibly make you appear demanding and difficult to work with. Remember, the person asking you might not have the power to grant you everything you want, and might have to go to a higher authority. They may not feel it is worth the trouble at the early stages of inquiry.

I suggest that you post the first 4 clauses on your website or in a brochure, as part of general information for anyone seeking a benefit show, then include the rest in the formal written agreement after they have already approached you and you have decided you want to do the show. Then negotiate the details in clauses 5 and above. By dishing it out in two stages, you soften the blow.

Of course, if you want to weed out people in the beginning who won't give you what you need, then throw everything at them in the beginning. It will definitely reduce the number of requests you receive.

I do like the clarity of your thinking on this. Too often we are treated badly when we donate shows and a document like yours will move the engagement to a more professional level of negotiation.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2433 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
OK, so do we get a cut of the money you get from these performances?

(Wait a minute ... there's something wrong with that thought ... oh, heck, I dunno.)
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Jim, this is precisely the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thank you. I, too, felt that it had a primadonna tone to it. Frankly, I want to shoo away those who feel it may be too much work or trouble. My pet charities know that I'm a dream to work with and if they're the only ones that ever call, I'll be tickled! On the other hand, I don't want to come off as a (What do you call a male Diva?) to potential paying clients. Good advice from another source I respect. I'll certainly consider it.

Ross, for your sterling advice, I'll give you a 75% cut on all profits from my benefit shows! Thank you both again.

Skip

MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
I have a very simple technique that I use
that eliminates about 90% of the "free show requests".

I just ask that they send the request in writing first
explaining who they are and what the money raised will
be used for.

This filter eliminates most requests
as they just don't bother and yet allows you
to consider the serious requests.

You could then follow up with your paperwork as above.

timothy
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Wow Great stuff...
I'd change # 6 You state "When I donate my services, every other entertainer appearing at the event must also have donated their services. "

And I would add, When I donate my services, every other entertainer or any other service ie Catering/Photographer appearing at the event must also have donated their services.

I've had this happen to me a Photographer got his full pay as did the catering hmmm....
Great stuff and I must agree with Jim a two step proccess is best in my opionion at least for me. Cheers Chris
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Timothy, Yup. I agree. I've employed that method for years...but, THEY STILL CALLED to beg, plead and run the ol' guilt trip. MY goal is to STOP the calls before they reach me from all but those that:

1) I'm willing to support, and
2) Are willing to work on my needs as a very busy working performer.

I stopped advertising in the yellow pages years ago because I just don't have the time or patience to deal with the "shopping around for the best price" and "You want us to pay you to do a Scout Show?" peeps.

Likewise, the majority of my time-wasting charity and fundraiser calls seemed to come from my website...Sooooooo...My original plan was to create a "My Way or No Way" webpage that weeds out a lot of these annoying "Gimmee's" before they pick up the phone. I want my phone to ring...but I want each ring to represent potential money in my pocket.

I do agree with Jim, though...make it shorter, make it friendlier and make it more imformative. Thanks for your advice, Timothy and Chris. It's very much appreciated!

Skip

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I see Jim's point of view, and Skip's. But I also thought of something else.

By publishing this on your website, it is likely to be skipped over, and you will be called anyways (they won't even get to point 3, to find out they shouldn't call).

And the next thing is that it makes you appear difficult to work with.

Now in the case of a charity, this is not necessarily too bad of a thing. You are simply asking to be treated with some extra kindness and respect, in lieu of cash payment.

However, what if a potential paying customer reads this while browsing your website, and thought you asked the same of them for a paying show? What if they didn't clue in this was your approach to charity shows only?

In that case, I would think having all of this on your website might scare some paying customers off, before they even call to book a show. Paying customers want performers that are easy to deal with. They want hassle-free. They don't want to work with prima-donnas. You are supposed to make their job easier, not more difficult.

As performers, we have discussed this now and then, on various posts, about being hassle-free / approachable, and giving the marketing message that we are hassle-free / easy to work with. Remember that your website is one of the points of first contact, and that this statement is part of your overall marketing message.

Julian Franklin touches on the subject of appearing hassle-free in his CD course, "Viral Marketing". (And he wasn't necessarily talking about charity shows, but more about the overall marketing messages you give in all of your materials.)

If you have that product, give it a listen to, and then re-consider whether having this page, with all of the "rules and regulations" will give potential paying customers as well as charity customers the impression that you are low maintainence or high maintainence.

Some food for thought.

- Donald

P.S. What to do then? I suggested a solution to this idea in a post, on another forum, on the thread that Skip started there. It's along the idea of what Timothy Hyde suggested, but stated in print on the website. If asked, I am happy to copy and paste my suggested solution to this thread.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, it does sound demanding. But those seeking a free show will only think, well that’s still better than paying.

If anything I see it as causing more calls. Number one saying you limit free shows to two per month tells the whole world that you DO free shows. You’re asking for free shows, and the thinking would be, "if I hurry up and call maybe I will be one of the lucky two. I know it said telephone requests will not be considered, but there’s no sense in me writing if you already have the two shows. Surely it wouldn’t hurt to call."

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Donald & Tom, excellent points. Thanks. All in all, I have a lot to think about here...and have been given some brilliant advice to consider! Thanks!

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I had a charity call me up last week to see if I would do a fund raiser at a local mall on Thanks Giving weekend, and I told them to get the mall to pay me, and the mall can donate my show to their charity fund raiser. The mall seemed to think I just fell off the back of a turnip truck.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Skip:

Thanks for starting this thread! Many great suggestions here.

Something that has been touched on -
Quote:
1. For business reasons, I must limit donated appearances to two per month. Donated appearances are selected based on my personal preferences, availability and compatibility with my business goals.

I don't know but what that doesn't come across as arrogant, especially the wording, "based on my personal preferences".

For myself, I'd eliminate the statement of "how many free shows that I'm willing to do per month". Why should people know that you do, potentially, 24 free shows per year, unless you are trying to publicize your generosity? I think that this section should make it apparent that you occassionally do charity work, under special circumstances, and IF the date is available.

I'd also delete language that sounds like, "and I will also only consider donating my services to charities that I personally like, and that I feel good about..." ?? You've already potentially offended some charity, who is now thinking "This guy probably doesn't like me/us anyway".

For myself, I'd word #1 in this fashion:

Due to the many requests we get regarding charitable work, these types of appearances are available on a very limited basis, dependent upon availability, etc. However, we do offer many compatible, fund-raising alternatives that we would love to discuss with you!

So I eliminate telling people how many free shows I do in a year, and I still get them all to call me anyway and ask about what fundraising ideas I might have.

Win-Win! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Benefit Appearances (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL