The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Review of "The Dream Gimmick" for the Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I somewhat recently wrote a review here on the Café of Jeb Sherrill’s “Zombie Reanimated” DVD’s which I found to be superb. If you are interested in the zombie illusion at all, then these DVD’s are a must buy.
Because of getting to write the review of the DVD’s and having worked with the zombie illusion for about 20+ years now, I was most happy to get to do the review of Jeb’s newest creation, the Dream Gimmick. A wonderful addition to his DVD's.
I spent about one month playing around with this new Dream Gimmick and found it fun and challenging trying new and unique moves.

When you receive your new dream gimmick, top quality workmanship will be evident. There is some simple preparation that is necessary in order to set it up for your preference of left handed or right handed use. The gimmick uses a rubberized standard size cork. I really liked this feature since the ball is capable of some really erratic moves with this gimmick and the rubber coating does the job in keeping the ball on the gimmick.
In addition, the handle of the gimmick is also rubberized to aid in gripping. The handle part of the gimmick is quite different than any other zombie gimmick I have ever used and it took a little work getting used to it. I have always used gimmicks that fit onto one or more fingers so this was a change for me.
After a little work I found that this handle enables the ball to be incredibly responsive. One can make huge moves without any detection of hand movement at all. I liked this very much. With this change in handle, the foulard is still very easy to hold with the thumbs. It is recommended that at least a 36” foulard should be used and a slightly oversized foulard would be even better to assist in hiding certain angley moves.

The Dream gimmick is slightly longer than your average straight zombie gimmick. This is not a problem but rather enhances the movements of the ball. The shape of the gimmick is totally unique and this is where Jeb’s creativity stands out. It is shaped unlike any other zombie gimmick in existence. I won’t go into the exact shape because I feel that may be infringing on the secret of the gimmick. Most of you may be familiar with the late Tommy Wonders zombie gimmick which was ingeniously thought out, but it is my opinion, that the Dream gimmick is the next generation in zombie gimmicks. No it’s not shaped liked Tommy’s but it takes better advantage of the same principles.

The DVD is well produced with Jeb’s touch of comedy throughout. The DVD starts off with a detailed description of setting up the gimmick and some basics. Then, Jeb does a really nice demo using his Dream gimmick and then follows with detailed descriptions of the moves and subtleties.
Some of the moves will take a lot of practice but actually so does any zombie routine if done right.
One can do many moves with this gimmick that can not be done with other gimmicks and this I love more than any other aspect of this device. You can do moves such as around the body, over the shoulder like you have never seen before. It completely disarms the observer as no logical hook up point reveals itself. In fact, this thing can do moves that are almost spooky!
There were some of the classic moves I was not able to do with the Dream gimmick such as putting it up my sleeve to start the routine and the foulard slide down the arm but the new possibilities had me so excited I didn’t care.
I understand from the DVD that came with the Dream gimmick that there is a Universal gimmick that can be obtained that will allow you to float just about anything the size of a zombie ball using this gimmick. I didn’t get a chance to try it but it definitely peeks my interest!

Overall, I highly recommend the Dream Gimmick with a score of 9.5 out of 10.
In addition, I give Jeb a 10 for creativity and a 10 for quality as well. He has demonstrated his expertise on the Zombie Ball with first his DVD's and now and new and exciting gimmick. If you find yourself looking for something different or better than what you have now, I feel the Dream Gimmick is well worth exploring.

Best Regards,
Daniel Faith
Daniel Faith
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Christopher hart rocks forever for his most lifelike looking zombie handling.
so far non ever equals to him.
theres his teaching video in UGM website. planning to get it soon.
but jebb sherril dvd seen the demo in his web. doesn`t look so life like.
- a f o i -
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Review of "The Dream Gimmick" for the Zombie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL