We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Histed Heisted (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Jan and Nick,
You guys are wonderful. I did not think of a deck switch at the end, let alone Nick's idea that the banks of 10 cards can now be mixed.

Here's a thought to take advantage of what you guys have thought of. You may not like the method, but then we're just brainstorming. So, I'll say it outright: this uses a stooge. If you have a brother magician coming to a show, it might be great. First, he seats himself in position one. If necessary, he can arrive early to insure that. Second, you have prearranged what card is will "choose" from his block of cards. (1, 11, 21, 31, 41) You have a duplicate of that card sealed in an envelope hanging in full view. Now you have a totally "Clean" prediction and anyone can open the envelope. Your stooge is going to do one more important thing: he will switch the deck for you. You will help him.

After the cards are distributed and each spectator has thought of a card and shuffled their packet, you have them all pass their cards down to spectator one. You ask him to shuffle the cards thoroughly. As he starts to do that, you call attention to the envelope, and ask any other spectator to come forward, and to take the envelope. You can then hand then a pair of scissors, but ask them to wait before opening the envelope. This has been the misdirection for the stooge to switch the complete deck. The switched in deck can now be complete (since Histed Heisted uses only 50 cards.)

If you're willing to use the stooge, you have two advantages: the deck switch does not happen in your hands and is strongly misdirected so that no one is going to catch it, and the envelope is genuine and only contains one card.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
This is a very interesting and productive thread.'Histed Heisted' has the potential to be a very powerful and impossible 'mind reading' effect and is just my sort of thing. I am going to experiment with presentations for myself.

Just to say many thanks guys!.

Best wishes. Andy.
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 13:37, JanForster wrote:
...switch the deck to your stacked and memorized deck and do then the calling. No miscalls necessary. The spectator can even look over your shoulder.

I do this too, but after the switch I pass the deck on and have a spectator read off the cards. (I mentioned this to Dennis in an email last year.)
I like your switch out, but I'm lucky in that I often have a podium, making deck switches extremely easy.
Also, depending on the situation, I sometimes don't have more than the first 30 cards read off; I fish for the remaining selections.
Quote:
And: Use 5 spectators, each is getting 10 (!) cards, ...
Of course you've to do a little fishing to get the correct card as there are always 2 possibilities. I think that doesn't matter, after all we talk about mind reading. The advantage: the entire deck is distributed, each spectator has a "full hand" of cards.

I like doing this too, for the same reasons.

As for the envelope,
Until now I've always just used Aronson's presentation (including his explanation for why the cards are being read off one-by-one).
I recently discovered that the ESP cards used in Katsuya Masuda's "Dramatic Envelope" are the same size as mini bicycle cards. I haven't used it yet, but it should work perfectly for the final revelation: it's in view the whole time, and when it is opened, the envelope really contains just one normal (mini) card.
Of course, the low visibility of the mini card makes this version better suited for smaller groups.
There may be something similar available that uses larger cards, I don't know.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3838 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Mito, nice idea! By the way: I prefer to call the cards myself as I often perform it on stage using a microphone. The spectator then "proves" implicitly that I'm doing what I'm pretending to do... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
The idea of switching decks and then reading the cards off for real pretty much reinvents Al Koran's Princess Card Trick Plus from Professional Presentations, which predates Histed Heisted by many years. I believe that the deck switch method was the original version of the trick. The idea of using a memorised deck (Louis Histed) or crib (Paul Fox) came later as a way of eliminating the need for a second deck.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3838 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Al Koran did not invent anything but probably added his deck switch, very odd by the way to use a gimmicked card case if you put the cards nevertheless in your pocket. Al Koran published his handling not using any stack around 1969, Orville Meyer his "Multi-Mentality" in July 1940 (in "Genii") using a Si Stebbins stacked deck, 1947 Louis Histed followed with his "Miracle Divination" using first time a memorized deck what added a very strong additional layer. Fantastic improvement. Simon Aronson later added "only" the prediction climax giving full credit to Histed, therefore calling this routine "Histed Heisted". It just seemed that people using a memorized stack tend to forget that you still could do a deck switch adding another subtlety. The beginnings of all are going back to Professor Hoffmann's "Mutus Nomen Dedit Cocis" ("Modern Magic", published 1876), Martin Gardner describes in his "Mathematics, Magic and Mystery" (page 33) that a French mathematician named Gergonne analyzed it already extensively in 1813. So we do talk always about the system of cross reference or the so called matrix principle. What we discuss are individual applications. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
You know it occurs to me that if you're using a deck switch you could hand out the cards ten at a time to a spectator and have them read the cards aloud. That way you're able to concentrate on the spectators that are thinking of the cards and not have to worry about the calling of the cards. You might even have the volunteer shuffle the ten cards before calling them out to make things seem even more random.

"All things being Equal, I'm having a Splenda day."
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Steve, Very clever.I had been thinking along the same lines.The added shuffle of each ten card 'batch' may well serve to strengthen the effect.Involving the spectators with respect to the actual 'calling' is also a good idea.Finding out whose card is in which batch seems all the more natural.With the batches being held in the hands of the spectator it also seems to flow naturally towards the spectators merely looking at their respective thought card in the spread and the magician visualizing the card.

I agree that five piles of ten is best for this type of effetc as Jan advises.This way the whole deck is utilised and ten gives a good choice of cards in the hand so to speak.The deck switch is easily accomplished. After the 'thought' cards are chosen at the start of the effect and the deck shuffled I might put the deck away in my pocket and boast that I will directly read the palms of the spectators to gain knowledge of their'thought cards'.Naturally (and not surprisingly to the amused spectators) I fail on the first attempt. I could have some fun here. I might purposely and confidently state that a card is the queen of Hearts and then when the spectator states that this is not the case I slyly change to the ace of spades! I apologise to the spectators and quickly fall back to getting the deck out again (the second deck that is).My rational for this would be to use the 'power of visualization' to aid me. Then proceed as per normal. Might be a fun presentation.

With Best wishes. Andy.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
When you've handed out the cards initially you are left with a few left over. You can pocket these and proceed with the instructions to the volunteers. When the cards are re-gathered you can feign looking through your pockets for the extra cards and do the deck switch as both hands go to the coat pockets. The extra cards are found by the opposite hand and added to the now switched deck. Of course, you would have removed these cards from the newly found deck before hand.

"All things being Equal, I'm having a Splenda day."
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Yes, that would work well. If I understand you correctly Steve what you are proposing is that the two cards left over go into the pocket at the start of the effect as only fifty cards are required for the piles.Then the orthodox switch in pocket ruse is used. A good idea.

Andy.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3838 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Steve, I would not hand out the/10 cards (nor let them shuffle, why?? It has been done before with the entire deck...)as this indicates that you are calling in groups. If you do it you can make it look quite casually. But let the spectator also look into the cards is important. Besides if you work for a bigger group (eventually also using a microphone...)you are safe when you do it. Believe me as I speak by experience. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
I'm finally ready to do Histed Heisted. Just waiting for the casual opportunity when I've got an audience of several people on which to practice this. When I get to the prediction spec, I will say "Please hold this (taking the envelope out of my pocket) and we'll get back to you after".
I am going to keep a crib card with my aronson stack on hand, just in case.
Very excited about doing this effect, it just seems so impossible to specs, and it's one of the few card effects that can play well with a large audience.
Yippee!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Todsky,
Have you had an occasion to do Histed Heisted yet? I hope so, it's a great trick.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Dennis, I did it a week and a half ago for a group of acquaintances, but minus the prediction envelope, and it went over very well indeed! Then I tried it out on another group of people in an informal setting last week, but I screwed it up, possibly because of a false shuffle mishap or else just a mental lapse. I am still practicing, and this coming thursday I will have a good opportunity to try it out (with the prediction envelope) in another informal setting at a dinner party. I will post again after thursday's performance. I do know almost for certain that this will be added to my regular parlour and stage shows for adults, because it is that strong.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Okay, just did it for a group of acquaintances at the dinner party. Had eight people stand up and think of one of their cards, nailed every one, and then did the finale with the prediction envelope, it went over perfectly, strong reactions even from one who is an amateur magician and was dying to find out how the bleep I did that! All I can say is, wowie wow wow, and I will be adding this to my adult shows. Thank you Louis and Simon and all of you mem-deck users who have encouraged and inspired me here on the Café.

All the best,

Todd Shapiro
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Congratulations, Todd. Yup, you're a convent now. HH is one of the strongest mental routines you can do with a deck of cards... maybe the strongest.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
What if... you do a deck switch, give the deck in stack order to a spectator, tell him to start with the first ten cards and show them to whoever thought of a card (nothing need be spoken aloud!), and then you proceed with your reveals.
BiGGoGiBBo
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of BiGGoGiBBo
HI All,

This is my first posting in this forum as I have only just learned Mnemonica. I haven't read the effect that you are talking about but I have Simply Simon, so I know that this will be a cracker.

In terms of having a prediction out from the start could you not use a Curzon envelope? This will allow any card to be pulled out of a envelope that has been on the table from the start. The envelope has a window were you can see the card. If you haven't seen this then check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgXoQua_2s . The details on how to build one are in Roger Curzon's lecture notes 'Blood on Tricks', which also contains about another 50 or so tricks and ideas.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
While the Curzon envelope is great, this is not appropriate for Histed Heisted. You need to know how HH works and the CE works to understand this.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
BiGGoGiBBo
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of BiGGoGiBBo
Opps, my bad. To be honest, I had just read Past, Present and Future in Simply Simon then I got very excited as this is obviously an application for the Curzon envelope. Then I remembered that someone on here had mentioned producing an envelope at the start of a trick and I then found my way onto this post, put two and two together and ended up with three!

So what is the effect of Histed Heisted? It sounds like I have something more to look forward too Smile I love this hobby Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Histed Heisted (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL