The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best ACAAN method (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..13~14~15 [Next]
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
I've mentioned a few of the versions that I've thought of in other threads. Here are the links to my posts or the actual posts if anyone is interested:

9/9/06: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4716028

2/15/03:
Quote:
Those of you who use a memorized deck and pinky (or thumb) count to place the named card into the proper position: Why don't you just edge-mark your memorized deck so that every fifth card is marked? That way you won't have to do so much counting.

And here's another secret: edge mark your cards at the inner end with inked dots of DIFFERENT colors: 5, 15, 25, 35 and 45 in blue; 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 in black. It makes counting to the correct card very easy. (Edge marking cards in various colors--blue, black, red & green [originally for the four suits: Clubs, Spades, Hearts and Diamonds]--is something I came up with years ago after reading Thompson & Rutledge's "Between Two Minds")

Note: The above is still several steps away from the ultimate ACAAN effect, in which the performer does not touch the deck.

later on in that same thread, I wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-02-15 03:40, chrismatt wrote:
Many cardicians and mentalists consider ACAAN to be the "holy grail" of mentalism with cards. I don't know how Berglas does his version. I don't have his book, and I'm not sure he even "tips" everything therein.

I've never actually done the following, but I've thought about rigging up a table drawer so that it would deliver just one deck (of several--each stacked in a different, cyclic order) into the drawer, which would be opened by the S after she names any card and calls out any number. As Richardson points out, by cycling the cards, you would need only 13 decks, although you do need quite a complicated crib, telling you not only which deck to use, depending on which card and number are called out, but which counting procedure to use. Can this number of decks be further reduced? Perhaps, although you would require an even more complicated crib.

How could this be done with fewer than 13 decks? Almost every card could be counted to in eight separate ways (using eight different numbers) in each deck. For example, the tenth card from the top could be counted to from the numbers 9 and 10 (counting from the top) and from the numbers 42 and 43 (counting from the face). By leaving the two advertising cards ("Rank of Hands" and the other ad card) on the face and the two Jokers on top, these cards could be included (or not) in the counting, so that the tenth card could ALSO be counted to from the numbers 11 and 12 (from the top) and 44 and 45 (from the face). The S (who does the counting) would either remove the advertising/Joker cards (or not) before he begins the counting. Mind you, I've never actually sat down and figured out if this would work, but I think it might. If the very low (1 and 2) and very high (51 and 52) numbers were eliminated, you might be able to do this with only 6 or 7 decks, but I'm not sure--it's just a concept I've had.

As for Ted Lesley's version relying on a stooge, I understand Simon Aronson also has such a version. The stooge concept is apparently hidden by employing two spectators, only one of whom is a stooge (one S calls out the name of any card and the other calls out any number), and by repeating the effect (in which the roles of the spectators are reversed).

Another approach that comes to mind involves a tricky card box that holds back or releases certain numbers of cards as you remove the cards from the container (performing sort of a mechanically assisted pass).

Instantly knowing where in the deck any randomly named card lies is powerful knowledge and the memorized deck achieves that goal. But that is only half of the ACAAN solution. Getting the named card to the randomly chosen number in a completely unsuspicious way is the missing piece.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......t=191990

CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
Does JB's methods in his book all require a memorized deck?
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Another vote for John Born's Book. Baker's Bested is the one I love to do. The magician never touches the cards at all. The spectator picks up the cards from the table, removes them from the case himself, then proceeds to deal to the thought of number. How can magic be any more direct than that. Gotta love it.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2006-10-11 06:17, MField2000 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 00:11, Chris SD wrote:
I know Berglas is supposed to have good work on the plot as well.

Yes, David Berglas's handling of "The Berglas Effect" is quite good. Superb, in fact. He's done it for me half a dozen times.

Matt Field

What? David Berglas has performed this for you a half dozen times?? Are you serious, Matt? If so, was it as impressive the 6th time as it was the first?? Do tell if you can, please...

Robert
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I have been practicing this type of effect using just a second deal. So far the results have been great. Why over work? Smile
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Marc Paul's perform a very clean one, Richard Kaufman said in the Genii forums that its extremely similar in effect if not the same as Berglas's version!

There is a youtube clip of it, very clean. You judge it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mdXIVQ-asqU

@Brian Proctor: Many magicians think that's its way better having the spectator dealing the cards.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Asi Wind has a fantastic version in his lecture notes. Fantastic.

SIX
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Check out my effect called "The Quest"....

Jheff from JMOM gave it a great review because it is VERY easy to do:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Quest.html
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 08:59, tgplano wrote:
I use Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at any number with great success. It can be done on a moment's notice and is not too difficult. I like the complete impromptu nature of it.

I like John Borns book, but I perform Richardsons version most of the time.

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I've seen Richardson and Born both perform their routine and I got to say John's version wins hands down. I know John's requires more mental work but it really does blow minds with the minimal contact with the deck.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Hello

I just signed a deal with Outlaw Effects to sell my ACAAN "The Quest" effect as a download.

You can check out the site at http://www.outlaw-effects.com as it should be up soon. Check the e-books tab on the left of the website and it should list all of the downloads available to purchase.

Jheff from JMOM gave it a great review because it is VERY easy to do:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Quest.html

Enjoy!
FV
petrakos
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of petrakos
I saw Barrie Richardson do ACAAN when he was in Chicago and it was good, though it felt a little bit draggy. It's in his Theater of the Mind book. I've tried ACAAN a few times with people, but I've never developed to a state where it really wows people.
joudini
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of joudini
I use psychological force but it doesn't work all the time heheh
david blown
View Profile
New user
I'm palming all my posts except
71 Posts

Profile of david blown
Where is asi winds version available?
huruey
View Profile
Loyal user
York, UK
205 Posts

Profile of huruey
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 12:14, entity wrote:
The only downside of Born's method is that the Performer must handle the cards.

- entity

I wouldn't call it a "downside". No trick is perfect in method, else it would not be a trick but real magic.

Joe
Joe Williamson
Chair of the University of York Magic Society
Free Memorized Stack Trainer: http://huruey.webs.com
huruey
View Profile
Loyal user
York, UK
205 Posts

Profile of huruey
My current favourite method is my own (not published), even though the card is not (necessarily) thought of (I prefer not), and the magician does handle the cards briefly. It's still got the strongest reactions out of any ACAAN I've ever done, though. Smile

Joe
Joe Williamson
Chair of the University of York Magic Society
Free Memorized Stack Trainer: http://huruey.webs.com
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Quote:
On 2010-01-02 13:17, david blown wrote:
Where is asi winds version available?

Hi David:

(Don't know if this "ACAAN" is different, than what is in his lecture notes?)
"Chapter One" ("A.A.C.A.A.N.")
http://www.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7935

Sixten
JMAC
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of JMAC
I have often wondered if the spectators can get ahead for you w/ ACAAN? someone says Q spades, and another says 14, I wonder any thinks already " I bet its the 14th card". Could this take away from the miracle? It's something I have thought about. So I do a stop trick, one spectator shuffles the deck and they are spread on the table they pick a card they put the card back and again shuffle the deck, I do not handle deck at all during this selection and replacement process. The deck is than given to another spectator to deal cards form anywhere in the deck they want the top, bottom, or the middle. They can stop dealing when ever they want. they stop one the selected card. I have clip of it live on youtube, There is a lot of back round noise on it, but if there is any interest I could link it.
Jmac
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Jmac -

I found your Youtube clip. A very nice rendition. Lot's of cutting and shuffling by the spectator. You got a very good reaction too.

This "STOP" approach seemingly gives the spectator more involvement - more control over the outcome and thus gives an even stronger "impossible outcome".

Have you tried traditional ACAAN presentations so you can compare the reactions?
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I LOVE Asi Wind's version... It's brilliant.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best ACAAN method (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL