The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » True Ball Size (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I just found out that the 1" crochet balls that you get at a magic shop are actually bigger, almost 1-1/8" after the crochet. I was told that the core of the ball was 1" before the crochet covering(this is true of all other diameters). To all of you who make good quality crochet balls, do you sell balls that are actually 1"?? I know of Brett Sherwood and Jake from RnT and a few others here on the Café. Thanks

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Brett's are usually 1 1/8".

To complicate matters, there is what I call the ETD or effective true diameter of the ball. Some balls may have a 3/4" diameter core, but because of the looseness of the crochet, they will measure 1" when held in the hand. However, the weight of the cups will flatten them slightly, so then they are 7/8" tall under the pressure.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Well the best way to find out is to just buy some and check them out. I've heard good things about the Sherwood balls, and as well as the balls that Jake makes as RnT. I'm really thinking about learning to crochet my own. I did mess around with crocheting when I was younger, and rather liked it, but never mand anything too complicated. Does anyone have any tips for me on thread size, needle size, I got some good tips on thread type already, and how about patterns for different size balls?? I love the cups and balls soo much I'm willing to take the time to learn new things so I can have as many choices as possible when I perform them. Besides I've already made the TW PomPons... so these shouldn't be that bad! Thanks

Stevie D
-Stevie D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » True Ball Size (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL