We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Photo session story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

I just posted a bunch of new shots (see my pics, leave comments ) and I thought you might like some background to the shoot. It was a fun one.

We had a great photographer lined up, and had spent a couple of days scouting out some excellent locations, mostly around the G-Mex centre in Manchester. Being an outdoor shoot, and in September we thought that our biggest problem was going to be the weather. After having put the shoot off a couple of times because of rain and really poor light we finally went out on Wednesday, September 26th. A day after the filming for the Paul O'Grady show. I was tired from breaking a new world record the day before, and from the general hassles of doing a TV show, but the day looked good. So we had to take the chance.

So, we arrive near the site, the weather looks ok, not great, but as good as it is going to get. That's not the problem, the problem is, there are police everywhere, the whole area is cordoned off. Every street, every alleyway. I forgot one big detail, the G-Mex is hosting the annual labour party conference! It looks like every policeman in the UK is between us and the locations.

So, we manage to find somewhere to park, about a mile away from the site, and the photographer, with assistant, make their way down. We decide to go ahead, with any location we can get. After finding somewhere that looks the part we start to set up. I am being chained to a fence for the first set and along comes 1, then 2 then finally 3 armed response units! Clearly the police are bored and we are the only potential action in town! They want to know what's in the bag.. well officer.. there is.. err.. a couple of straitjackets, 100 feet of rope, 30 feet of chain, about 20 pairs of handcuffs, a bunch of barbed wire, some padlocks and two swords.. why.. is that a problem?

Thankfully they let me explain before they pull out their guns! After a little waiting around while they call it all in they let us go ahead, they actually seem pretty interested. A little too interested! They want to know if I can get out of their cuffs, what happens if they do this to me, can I pick that and on and on. Funny stuff. I ended up demonstrating picking cuffs with a paperclip, from rear stack, double locked position (if you know what this is you are either a cop, and escape artist, or a criminal, please let me know which). The general consensus was that there is no point in arresting me anyway because I would just get away .

It was funny, these guys are the top of the ladder in the UK police force. Part of the very small minority of UK cops that can actually carry pistols and semi automatic firearms in the streets, but they still couldn't find a way to cuff me so that I couldn't get out. I think it worried them a little to be honest. One of them asked me to promise never to teach anyone how to do it! Undermining peoples perceptions is so much fun.

Anyway, we didn't get much done that day, the light was awful at the locations we managed to find, our time was cut short and the police got in the way. But we did get a few decent shots. We will be going back in November to complete the shoot though. A lot of great shots were planned and didn't happen, plus we need to reshoot a couple of things in better light.

The photographers website is here: http://public.fotki.com/Slave/portraits-1/

A selectiion of pics can be seen on my myspace page here: http://www.myspace.com/dstraitjacket (Click on 'view my pics, near top left)

Have fun, and let me know what you think of the pics, and add me to your MySpace friends if you are a member!

Cheers

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The photos are terrific! I like the story also. You put the "artist" back into escape artist.

Yours,

Paul
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Nice Pics. I like the one in Black and white with the rope remaining red. Very visual.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
You must log on to see the pics Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Great story David. Very funny. Its a shame that the local rag didn't run it. Would've made the conference a little more interesting.

Nice pics too. Can't wait to see the rest once they've been shot.

Xargos, all you need to do is sign up to be a member of myspace (which is free) and you'll be able to view them.

If you do become a member then be sure to add WEAR 2007 as a friend too.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
And you can add a lot of us that are on there as friends too. My friends list grows DAILY.
Wolflock
South Africa
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Join WEAR 2007 at:

http://www.myspace.com/wear2007

David, would you like to post the story of your shoot on the WEAR 2007 MySpace page as a blog? I think it's great.

Yours,

Paul
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi guys

If you want to use that story at the Wear Myspace page please go ahead Paul.

Ros, I never thought of sending the story to the press, good thought. I was worn out from the TV thing the day before and was flying to Korea the next day so I just wanted to get the job done and get out of there. It never occured to me to get some press from it. Which is not normal for me Smile

Xargos, join MySpace, its where ALL the cool kids hang out Smile

Cheers

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Thanks, David! Your story is posted as a WEAR 2007 blog entry.

Yours,

Paul
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Great story and very nice pics David!
Tony Chapparo
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Loved the story about the cops. Classical.
Wolflock
South Africa
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
No way I register on this "thing", no way.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
LOL. Fairy nuff Smile

Myspace is a good way for us all to keep in touch though Xargos, and it doesn't cost anything, many people from here have an account there.

When the next photo session is done the photos will all be going online so I will post a link for you then.

Cheers

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Great Story David.

Well done.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Glad you liked the story. It was fun, even if I didn't get all the shots I wanted!

I just remembered I have a photo of the police. They told us we couldn't take any pictures of them, or any with them Smile But Nikki did manage to get this one just after the first unit had arrived. She had to make out she was zoomed in on me so you can't see most of the police (there are more behind the camera) and that's just one of the three units. In total each unit had about 10 guys, mostly well armed.

Unfortunately there is nothing from the handcuffing or after all three units had turned up Smile

http://www.straitjacketcircus.co.uk/lotsofcops.jpg

They were friendly once they understood what was going on, but they were very adamant about the no photos rule, so it just wasn't worth the risk of more sneaky shots!

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Nice work David - well done mate!

Riley
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
That photo with the cops is great. I love the way they seem more interested in their mobile phones than a bloke chained to a wall.

You just can't make this stuff up.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Ros. I thinkthat they were phoning a friend for tips on binding someone. :o)
Wolflock
South Africa
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
LOL Wolfy, they already asked the audience Smile

P

Love to story David!!!
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
ROTFLMAO!!!
Wolflock
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Photo session story (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL