The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Max Maven's Nothing (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
A proven one-hour show that you can do - complete with script, tricks, and all props cost under $20, and you think $100 is steep?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The explanation segments are fantastic because Max is joined by some friends. They don't; really have that much input, but because he's talking to them as a group instead of the cold camera lens, he tips much more. You get deep history on the effects, Max's thinking, etc.

I think this is one of the best projects Louis has put out. Every time I view it ( again today ) I come away with something new.

Chris Kavanagh
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 01:42, cairo wrote:
A proven one-hour show that you can do - complete with script, tricks, and all props cost under $20, and you think $100 is steep?

I apologize if I sounded ignorant, but there's no need to be hostile; I was merely stating my opinion. It sounds like a worthy investment to those who might do this professionally as a full show. I tend to purchase instructional DVD's with many individual effects (as opposed to the construction of a whole show) that I could pick and choose, like Osterlind's DVD sets.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
I guess atitude is hard to distinguish in print. No offense meant. I wasn't being hostile, perhaps a little sarcastic though. Anyway, probably no one will do this as a whole show, but you are buying a particular talent and product and it's priced accordingly. Other artists don't sell well and in no time their dvds are discounted, $15 off, free shipping, etc.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Haha, yeah, such is the interwebs =P.

Anyways, the more I look at this, the more I really do want it, as it sounds utterly incredible (for Mr. Maven I'm sure few things are impossible)...looks like I will save up my research stipends this summer!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Randy B
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Randy B
Make sure you sign up for l&l's e-mail list, they send out some incredible deals on their dvds
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Love the material! Very practical!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
On each of the effects taught, Max also goes into great detail on the history behind the effect. I think this should be done on all projects as it would help new students gain a respect for the craft.

Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2512 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I believe Max has a new DVD set coming soon from L & L.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have to say, these are the only positive comments I have heard about this DVD. All others that I heard were atrocious. I can't really judge, though since I haven't purchased.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1491 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I can honestly say that I will use absolutely "nothing" on this set. Not a fan of this release at all.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Not every release is going to be for everyone. I had trouble watching the Fernando Keops release and I'm sure some folks loved it.

murli
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of murli
Fernando Keops is a King and a true Gentlemen!
Fantastic Set!
wolfmaster
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of wolfmaster
IMHO and with all due respect to others, Max is still the mentalist with the best DVD's out there. His routines are solid, and actually work. This DVD set is VERY good. Recommended.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I couldn't agree more.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think the real gold of this set is the detailed explanations and history of each effect and the talk between Michael Weber and Max. Those lessons can be applied to anything effcts we do.

Chris

Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1491 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2010-05-07 06:35, wolfmaster wrote:
IMHO and with all due respect to others, Max is still the mentalist with the best DVD's out there. His routines are solid, and actually work. This DVD set is VERY good. Recommended.

I'd have to say Richard Osterlind has him beat...just one man's opinion
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:

The Osterlind set is just one of many that are far better than Max's offerings, in my opinion.

I may be wrong but every time I watch a video/DVD from Max I think... "I wonder what he uses in his stand-up act 'cuz it sure as .hell. can't be this."
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2657 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-05-11 20:16, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:

The Osterlind set is just one of many that are far better than Max's offerings, in my opinion.

I may be wrong but every time I watch a video/DVD from Max I think... "I wonder what he uses in his stand-up act 'cuz it sure as .hell. can't be this."

I agree. I was very disappointed by this release. I think the audio commentary and interview were added on just to pad out the set and try to justify the $100 price tag. I haven't watched it in a while but I seem to remember that, for the magazine test, one magazine (the one not used) was passed to another spectator without much explanation/justification.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
This seems to be one of those polarizing releases. I admire Max's contributions, so I picked these up about a year ago and enjoyed them very much. I thought the premise was very interesting. His advice on performing and such was worth it. Any chance to see Max perform and teach is a must for me.

If you're on L&L's mailing list, you can buy this set and get 6 Michael Close DVD's for free. Now that's "something"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Max Maven's Nothing (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL