The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Jeans with suit top? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Hi all,
This may have been asked already, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.
I was wondering if you would ever wear jeans with a white dress shirt and tails. Also, if it was a hot day out, would you wear shorts?
Just curious to see what others think on this topic.
Thanks
-Greg
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
Southwest Sam
View Profile
New user
Indiana
59 Posts

Profile of Southwest Sam
It depends on the venue and what you are comfortable with.

I have performed in jeans and a sport coat and/or a vest before. At times, I will wear black jeans but too much dark doesn't come out well in photos with a black backdrop (which is why I switched to blue jeans), so be aware of your surroundings when photographs are taken.

~SAM Smile
Now performing as...
-Suitcase Sam
& his Ukulele
Music ~ Comedy ~ Magic
www.facebook.com/SuitcaseSam
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
This would depend on your personna, your act, your location, and your audience. I performed at a pool party once in a bathing suit, T-Shirt, and flip flops.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Jeans with a suit?! Why not just wear a tux with muddy sneakers?
Jeans with a sport coat is generally acceptable. Jeans with a suit should never be.
It kills the look of a suit completely.

+FYI, jeans are hotter than dress slacks because they are thicker. (Unless you're wearing wool slacks.)
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
What you wear, in any paid venue, should be the result of a decision made by your customer, based on a conversation, on the subject, with you. If the customer wants you to wear a chicken suit, after discussing it with you, and you agree to do so, then you need to wear a chicken suit. If the customer will only be satisfied by you wearing a chicken suit, and you are unwilling to do so, or they are unwilling to pay enough to make you willing to do so, then you should politely decline the work. It realy is that simple.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
^That is the bottom line, indeed.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Oh great Irony of ironies. Just last night I performed in a Tux from the waste up, genes, and a cowboyhat. I hate the outfit. Can't stand the thought of eveningwear with genes, but there I was. One of my event planners came up with the idea and seems to realy be able to market it. Seems to go very nicely with the upscale western theme. Just goes to show you. There is no art without pain.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2006-10-11 09:20, JackScratch wrote:
There is no art without pain.

Guess not! =D
You should get a "tortured artist" T-shirt on the house. ;P ;P
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Quote:
On 2006-10-10 12:05, JackScratch wrote:
What you wear, in any paid venue, should be the result of a decision made by your customer, based on a conversation, on the subject, with you. If the customer wants you to wear a chicken suit, after discussing it with you, and you agree to do so, then you need to wear a chicken suit. If the customer will only be satisfied by you wearing a chicken suit, and you are unwilling to do so, or they are unwilling to pay enough to make you willing to do so, then you should politely decline the work. It realy is that simple.

I have that many times the client/customer needs to be educated as to what is appropriate to wear. I worked a trade show once where the client insisted that I wear a tux. Everyone else in the booth wore a logo polo shirt. I looked totally out of place and the client knew it.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Lee, you make a very good point. At the end of the day, you do what they pay you to do, and bask in you richousness. If you do your best to educate your customer and they still make a choice that they ultimately regret, all you should do is take the contract and return an "I told you so" at the end of the day. The customer is always right. even when they are wrong. If that isn't true, then you aren't charging enough. One of the best ways to deal with this, is to charge excessively for incorrect choices. Sure, I'll wear the chicken suit, but it'll cost you 10K an hour.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
"Sure, I'll wear the chicken suit, but it'll cost you 10K an hour."

couldn't have said it better, myself.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be sure to follow your advice. I had only worn the jeans once, and it was with a blazer/sports coat so things were fine. It's true what was said above, if it is what the client wants, go for it.
-Greg Smile
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Once I was asked to wear either a Pilgram suit, or a turkey suit to pass out pamphlets at a strip Mall for a Thanksgiving sale, so I told the woman the Pilgram outfit will cost you $300, and the turkey suit will cost you $3,000.
TRUE STORY
Al Angello

PS- Never, never, never wear shorts, unless you are wearing a turkey costume.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Here in Germany it is the latest fashion for young people to wear jeans with a suit top and it is ok for people that are under 23.
My Dad who is much older tries to do the same and I think it looks ridiculous.
Southwest Sam
View Profile
New user
Indiana
59 Posts

Profile of Southwest Sam
AWwww C'mon Edith,

What good are us Dads for other than embarrassing our wives, teens & kids? If we don't dress with the times, we look like old Granddads. LOL

~SAM Smile
Now performing as...
-Suitcase Sam
& his Ukulele
Music ~ Comedy ~ Magic
www.facebook.com/SuitcaseSam
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Ok then. I let every day do what he wishes... It doesn't make any difference. They will be still loved...
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
^Aw... now that's a right broad! =) Who says unconditional love is dead?
theheartsfailure
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of theheartsfailure
I know what you are talking about jeans with a blazer.. I think its a sweet look
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Yeah, jeans with a black blazer/suit jacket is fine & trendy. But jeans with tails/tux jacket is against fashion codes laid down decades ago! ;P
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Only for the fourth of July celbration stage performance outside did I wear short sleeves. It was 113 degrees and no shade. I would like to wear shorts, but with my legs that would be an unpleasant destraction.
Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Jeans with suit top? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL