The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Your top 10 routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Lewis
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jon Lewis
Hello,

I'm a children's pastor and I got into gospel illusions about 4 years ago, but recently I have really seen the need to get more tricks under my belt. Kids love magic tricks and the tricks really grab their attention. My problem is I don't really know what all is out there. I've seen a few things here and there, but that is it. I'm interested in knowing what your top 10 routines are.

Thanks.
Grandice
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Grandice
I don't know if you do any stage routines but if you're intrested there's always metamorphosis (sub trunk) there are many christian messages that you can get across with that illusion. Also There's a version on burned alive that my company has created a chrisitan message with. We try to create stage illusions with a Christian meassage. If you're ever intrested in lage scale stage illusions with a christian message let us know.
We build custom large scale illusions visit us @ http://www.grandiceillusions.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Jon, I would suggest trying the following websites. They all carry Christian Illussions and are Christian run.

http://www.lockfamilymagic.com
http://www.gospelmagic.com
http://www.barrymitchellproducts.com

Depending on where you live there could be a FCM meeting in you area. The FCM is the Fellowship of Christian Magicians here is there website as well.

http://www.fcm.org

And please check out my website under Gospel Magic
http://www.rodneypalmermagic.com

I hope this helps!!!
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
1.Linking Rings
2.chamelon silks
3.Torn and restored paper heart
4.ticket to heaven
5.Bill change
6.Hole Thing
7.Mental Epic
8.Keys to the kingdom
9.Card Warp
10.Cut and restored rope
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Jon Lewis
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jon Lewis
Quote:
On 2006-10-11 13:54, First Class Magician wrote:
Jon, I would suggest trying the following websites. They all carry Christian Illussions and are Christian run.

http://www.lockfamilymagic.com
http://www.gospelmagic.com
http://www.barrymitchellproducts.com

Depending on where you live there could be a FCM meeting in you area. The FCM is the Fellowship of Christian Magicians here is there website as well.

http://www.fcm.org

And please check out my website under Gospel Magic
http://www.rodneypalmermagic.com

I hope this helps!!!

I stumbled on the lockfamily site just yesterday and ordered a couple of books. I will check these other sites also. Thanks everyone for your input especially Randy Burtis. I will check out the tricks you guys mentioned.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Jon,

Boy! Where do I begin? Almost any magic trick can have Gospel applications, with the exception of a few, i.e.; the underwear trick, bra trick, and a few other that are obvious. I would recommend you get a set of Tarbell course on Magic. All of them. Buy them like you would buy Bible commentaries, one at a time. There is also a spiritual application on Tar bell Vol. 1 from Doc Haley Gospel Magic. Get Duane Laflin's Greater Gospel Magic book. Find out what you are drawn to. Some like cards, silks, props, coins, etc. Doc Haley has a great series of books by Del Wilson that covers everything from thumb tips to change bags for Gospel applications that are very inexpensive. Try to get to a couple of FCM conventions, take lectures, and ask a lot of questions. Read everything you can get your hands on, buy DVDs and study them. Take a speech or drama class. Above all, listen to the pastor's sermons, pray, and of course read your Bible. Great food and you will get inspired. I have a minister friend who does a children's church per week and always has a trick with a spiritual application and he never repeats a trick. He is a great inspiration to me and a dear brother.

If you have specific questions, please post or PM.

Hope this helps. God Bless you my Brother.
David Williams
magic4jc
View Profile
Regular user
Texas, USA
143 Posts

Profile of magic4jc
Jon,

I suggest Duane Laflin's "The Art of Gospel Magic" DVD set. It is 3 volumes. It is at lockfamilymagic.com

The set is normally like $65, I think. I got mine on a monthly sale for $45, and I have seen it in the monthly sales several times since. If you could wait a few weeks, you could save $15 - $20. But it is definitely a great tool.

Mike
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
One word: Tarbell.

OK, now a few more words. What may be in one guy's top ten may have no place in yours and vice versa. By reading through and studying Tarbell, you will get a great overview of platform magic (I'm assuming that's your major area of interest.) Then when you have a spiritual point you wish to illustrate, you'll have a pretty broad knowledge base you can tap into.

I think a full set of Tarbell will currently run about$130-$170, but I guarantee it will give you far more VALUE than 99% of anything else you could purchase. And you can always buy them one at time.

Best,

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Jon Lewis
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jon Lewis
Quote:
On 2006-10-12 18:02, Doc Dixon wrote:
One word: Tarbell.

OK, now a few more words. What may be in one guy's top ten may have no place in yours and vice versa. By reading through and studying Tarbell, you will get a great overview of platform magic (I'm assuming that's your major area of interest.) Then when you have a spiritual point you wish to illustrate, you'll have a pretty broad knowledge base you can tap into.

I think a full set of Tarbell will currently run about$130-$170, but I guarantee it will give you far more VALUE than 99% of anything else you could purchase. And you can always buy them one at time.

Best,

DD

Really, I thnk your right. I just need a knowledge base of routines. I can figure out how to apply a gospel message to it. I do that now with every day items. I was checking out some of the Tarbell books. The first few volumes seemed pretty interesting. Some of the other volumes seemed questionable as far as chapters on Psychic magic and all that kind of stuff.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Write your own and you will become a better magician and artist.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I agree with about all that's been said so far but I feel for Mr. Lewis here. What's so hard about just posting your fave top 10 gospel effects?

I know if someone posted in any other section a thread like this..."Your top 10 effects for table hopping, impromptu, close-up" etc there would be plenty of people simply listing routines.

Books are always a good reccommendation but what's wrong with giving a trick list?

It seems to me that we could maybe all pick up something from such a request.

Here's my list (first half primarily close-up/second half parlor):

1) Disintegration Chamber (my gospel version).
2) Gospel version of Vampire Hunter, uses Neil Tobin's "X-Pert"
3) Transmental Gemsation (my gospel version, basically wordless book type of revelations based on color choice).
4) Pen Thru Bill (my gospel version).
5) Shattered paddle effect-gimmick not available anymore Smile
6) Bill switch with gospel dollar bill.
7) P.O.S. Silks (my plan of salvation version of a silk routine.
8) Guilt is Gone- a Duane Laflin jumbo card effect.
9) Coal to Diamonds- Barry Mitchel effect that I adapted my own presentation to (one of my very fave stage routines).
10) Card Sword- not the one you might first think of. This was created by one of L.A.'s FCM members and given to us. It's a nice card routine though but not a card stab and teaches about the Bible as our source of truth and being the sword of the spirit.

Anyone else?

Feel free to ask me about any of these effects, some of them I have posted here before and could probably find it or just share again.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jon Lewis
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jon Lewis
Quote:
On 2006-10-13 17:31, GlenD wrote:
I agree with about all that's been said so far but I feel for Mr. Lewis here. What's so hard about just posting your fave top 10 gospel effects?

I know if someone posted in any other section a thread like this..."Your top 10 effects for table hopping, impromptu, close-up" etc there would be plenty of people simply listing routines.

Books are always a good reccommendation but what's wrong with giving a trick list?

It seems to me that we could maybe all pick up something from such a request.

Here's my list (first half primarily close-up/second half parlor):

1) Disintegration Chamber (my gospel version).
2) Gospel version of Vampire Hunter, uses Neil Tobin's "X-Pert"
3) Transmental Gemsation (my gospel version, basically wordless book type of revelations based on color choice).
4) Pen Thru Bill (my gospel version).
5) Shattered paddle effect-gimmick not available anymore Smile
6) Bill switch with gospel dollar bill.
7) P.O.S. Silks (my plan of salvation version of a silk routine.
8) Guilt is Gone- a Duane Laflin jumbo card effect.
9) Coal to Diamonds- Barry Mitchel effect that I adapted my own presentation to (one of my very fave stage routines).
10) Card Sword- not the one you might first think of. This was created by one of L.A.'s FCM members and given to us. It's a nice card routine though but not a card stab and teaches about the Bible as our source of truth and being the sword of the spirit.

Anyone else?

Feel free to ask me about any of these effects, some of them I have posted here before and could probably find it or just share again.

GlenD

What do you do with the pen through bill routine? I have that gimmick. And I really don't feel comfortable using it from what the instructions show me to do.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I do not know which "pen" you have and I am not sure exactly what your concern is with the trick but here is my gospel message...

After the pen has penetrated the bill, I display it and pretend I forgot why I even did it in the first place. I tap a finger on the point of the ball as I ask what is the point (just my own little joke here) and then "remember" and continue to explain that we are like the bill with the hole in the middle. We have a hole in our center or a void that we attempt to fill throughout our lives with what the world has to offer. Such as toys, girls, money, success, various pleasures etc. But as we go through life trying to fill that void within us nothing seems to satisfy.

The only way we can be fulfilled and made whole again is when we ask Jesus into our hearts, then he fills the emptiness and makes us whole. Just as symbolized by the bill that once had a hole (pull pen out) but now is made whole again...

That's the idea, I don't always say exactly the same thing but that's basically the message I attach to this effect. But not all the time, I really like this trick and sometimes just do it as entertainment and not apply the spiritual message. It all depends on the situation.

Also a correction, the sword trick I mentioned in my top ten list is called "Swordplay" by Kif Anderson.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
michaelwriting
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
55 Posts

Profile of michaelwriting
Not necessarily 'gospel' routines, but I totally love Star Gazer and Kids Kards. These have to be some of the cutest tricks out there. Also, every kid goes nuts for D'lites. You can pick up any of these for under $20. If you have more cash to spend, check out wolfsmagic.com for some really great illusion props.

Mike
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2722 Posts

Profile of John Long
I agree with the above post that recommends the Tarbell series. They are great for a source of many typed of tricks. You can get them cheaper that was stated above if you watch for some sales; even non-sales at Daytona Magic. If you need a source for used books, somewhere I have a source that sends out email lists of used magic. I've seen the Tarbell series, for $100 or less.

There is a Spiritual Applications based upon Tarbell vol 1 & 2, but I have not found it very helpfull, but neither have I gone through both volumes. I would however recommend the "12" series by Del Wilson. They have some nice Gospel effects for rather little cost.

Second to the Tarbell series would be Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Also, as mentioned above, take a concept you want to illustrate, and enjoy finding ways to illustrate it. I have started keeping lists of ideas, and little by little I develop the patter.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Here are 10 effects (not in any particular order) I've used over the years which I feel are the most effective in regard to effect and message.

Andre' Kole's Shackled Spheres: A version of the old trick "Grandma's Necklace" - used to illustrate the 4 Spiritual Laws. This is the primary one I use when I want to share the gospel message and call for a decision to place faith in Christ.

Rope Through Waist: Akin to the above, but the rope (knotted around the waist) penetrates through. I used this in an Easter message for adults to represent how rules and regulations can bind us but a relationship with Christ can set us free (Luke 13:10-16).

Fraidy Cat Rabbit: To illustrate "there is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end thereof is the way of death."

Die Box (with Rubic's Cube): Cube represents Jesus and I use it to illustrate the resurrection.

Cut and Restored Rope: Separation from God but restoration through faith in Christ.

What's Next: I use this to begin a talk on being deceived and how God knows best.

I can't think of the name of the marketed effect, but the old effect where you show an arrow on both sides of a board. The direction of the arrow changes as you turn the board over. When you open the board up (two pieces hinged together), the inside shows a road map with "John 14:6" printed on it. The patter idea is "trying to find the way to heaven."

Fire Book/Bible (Hot Book): Open the Bible and flames appear. I use it to illustrate what the Bible can do for us based on the idea the the word of God is like fire (Jeremiah 23:29). Fire protects, purifies, gives light - so does the Word.

Lota Vase: To illustrate 1 Kings 17:14 and the story surrounding it (faith in God).

Phantom Tube/Genii Tube and Milk Pitcher: "Desire the sincere milk of the word" (pour milk in tube that has one end capped) and produce silks representing the fruit of the Spirit.

Having shared these effects with you, I want to say that I prefer to do "straight" magic and use one as a spiritual illustration at the end of my program (ala Andre' Kole). Still, I have used these at times when I wanted to get a specific point/illustration across.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I like Dlites, Stratosphere, Stiff Rope, wrapped chips, Jesus King of Hearts, Needle through Ballon, Stuff with Silks, and Cut-n-Restore Rope, Thumb Tip, Change Bag.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1208 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Torn and restored newspaper is great also.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
Stiff Rope, Lota Bowl,Needle thru balloon,Thumb Tip, T/R Heart, Squared Circle, Bill in Lemon, Dove Pan, Rope Thru Neck, Cut restored rope
73 Donnie
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Right now it would be:

Two dollar bill to two ones trick to five dollar(power of the gospel to transform), three coin coins across and three fly (the gospel gives us a bridge to heaven, a place we could get to no other way), Wild coin (again transformation), my own version of Sankey's Mr. Clean coins across (same theme as above), prof. nightmare (Three sin list, but all falling short), hanging coins (earthly weath will not last), Turn about is fair play [my own trick, same theme as hanging coins, (four coins vanish and reappear from one hand)], backslider, [my own card trick where black cards with blue backs turn into to red cards (black spades turn to red spades) with red backs and then to red cards with blue backs....they backslide], Hoppin Half (I prefer not to use gaffed coins, but I like the message of trying to hide sin), elusive silver dollar.

I've used a version of the three card monte in the past with the message that playing around with sin is like playing cards with the devil, he will trick you every time. I'm working on the same message with the ten card poker deal.
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Your top 10 routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL