The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Torched & Restored (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
A lot of people have seen the demo of this effect but this is me performing it in front of a live paying audience Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauhUmMMVGE
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think.
Brent Braun
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brent:

That looked very good! It looks like you're using a slightly different method than on the demo. Is that right? Is this method taught in the "Torched and Restored" materials that are sold?

Thanks much.

Ron
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Ron, Glad you enjoyed it. It is the same method taught in both the manuscript and on the new DVD. What demo are you talking about and what looks different?
Thanks again,
Brent Braun
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brent:

Hmmm...maybe I'm confused about the previous demo; I though that part of the MO was that you had to have a deck of cards in hand. I'll go back and watch the demo as I may be getting your Torn and Restored confused with someone else's.

Ron
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Brent,
I hate that trick. You need to take it off the market and never sell it to anyone ever again!!!!!

Just kidding. I bought this a couple of years ago. It kills every time I perform it. Smile I really do wish you would stop selling it. I don't want anyone else in Southern California doing this. It is THAT darned good!!!!!!!!! Smile

JIM
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I also do this at my payed gigs (thanks a lot Brent for such a killer effect, It fries them every time), but you just make it look so much better than me at the end. If you ever watched Oz pearlman do this on penguin magic that is pretty much exactly how I do it. You seem to hold the torn card different (than the instruction manual teaches) at the very end of the trick to put the card back together. I loved it, felt good to see the creator in action after performing it my self for so long. Thanks again..... 'PIZ'
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I agree with Piz, as it's always nice to see the creator's perfomance of his own material.

Time to pull mine out of storage.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Piz, I just went back and reread the original manuscript and the restoration is taught exactly how I still do it. I do agree that Oz never really understood the restoration and does it poorly on the Penguin demo. Here is a link to a much younger and thinner me performing the effect in the original web demo. It was filmed about 6 years ago I guess. This may help you understand what you were missing watch it a few times and reread the manuscript. If you still have trouble email me and I will do all I can to help.
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/torchexd.ram
This is one of the reasons I put Torched & Restored on the new DVD. I have seen a lot of people perform it and miss some of the important points of the effect. I think it may be easier to learn and follow from the DVD.
I want to again thank everyone who has purchased the DVD or supported any of my products. It is people like you that make me enjoy releasing some of my favorite effects into the magic world.
Thanks again,
Brent Braun
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brent:

Yep, I had my effects mixed up. I took a look at the demo on Penguin and I thought Oz did a nice job, but your demo looks better. How can we get the new DVD?

Ron
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Ron, The DVD titled "Decks, Lies and Videotape" is available through your favorite dealer. Or even better through my website http://www.decksliesandvideotape.com
Thanks in advance for your order. Smile
Brent Braun
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
A great effect !
I am looking forward to receiving your new DVD.
keep up the great work!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Brent, I have always loved this effect, and the simplicity of it! The performance was great!!

Keep up the good work!
-Vinnie
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-10-11 03:07, braunmagic wrote:
A lot of people have seen the demo of this effect but this is me performing it in front of a live paying audience Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauhUmMMVGE
Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think.
Brent Braun

I'm glad to have found this video...I purchased the effect through Hank Lee, I believe a couple years ago...and I think the effect is great..well thought out. But I have run into one small problem that I am hoping you can help me with. Here it is: I have spent untold bucks trying to find a torch lighter that will LAST!! Every last one of them that I have purchased has lasted only long enough for me to practice the effect, then they burn themselves out before I ever get to perform the effect!
And I have bought them everywhere, searching for the perfect one. I bought them in stores, I have purchased them on ebay....this one was supposed to be one of the best in the world...hot enough to melt a penny (And it did exactly that when it was new..but like the others it burned out it's element..and I'm frankly sick of throwing money away on these things. I even borrowed my son's that he purchased somewhere. Result? It burned out like all the others, till fnally, I am beginning to believe there is NO SUCH THING as a quality torch lighter. I have spent FAR more than I ever payed for the effect.

So my question to you, as the creator of the effect, and one who is obviously having great sucess with it, is SPECIFICALY which brand and model of torch lighter do you use and recomend? If you can help me here, I will surely be using your effect in performance..if not, it will remain in my junk drawer next to all those burned out torch lighters.

Thanks
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Nice performance.

~John
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
I Have in the past had trouble with the lighter issues as well. Now I use what I consider to be one of the best made lighters around.
The Zippo 121361 MPL Multi-Purpose Lighter.
The Zippo lighter is larger than the torch lighters which actually solved some pocket management issues for me, as its large size makes it easy to get in and out of my pocket with out fear of other props being pulled out with it. Its atractive look also allows me to carry it in my outer breast jacket pocket.
Unlike those imported torch lighters this thing was built by a company with a name and the quality shows. I hope that helps, as I dislike the thought of such a great effect becoming magic drawer filler.
Brent Braun
Art-Fantasy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
169 Posts

Profile of Art-Fantasy
No offense, the hands are moving too much, making me feel uncomfortable.
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
No offense taken. I do feel that the movement that is making you uncomfortable is more in my feet than in my hands. I have since taken to a Max Howard Approach and started rehearsing while standing on a 8X11 sheet of paper. This seems to help rid me of the anxious/nervousness that appears in the above clip. It is hard to see these things when performing that is why I beleieve having a good director and taping all of your shows is so important.
Thank you for your thoughts,
Brent Braun
Art-Fantasy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
169 Posts

Profile of Art-Fantasy
Sorry, didn't take into account that you were nervous at all. Liked your ambitious swivel cut. fooled me when I saw it first of many times.
FloKiel
View Profile
New user
Germany
94 Posts

Profile of FloKiel
Hey guys,
I have a question regarding the final opening of the card.
I want to do it using only one hand; I don't want to use the other hand to help unfolding it. (just the way oz does it in the penguin demo-video)

My problem is that it doesn't work anytime.
sometimes it works great... but sometimes the card just won't open, when I push my second finger down :-(

I've destroyed 3 new decks today practicing :-D

I'm kinda frustrated
I don't know what's wrong

kind regards
Florian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Torched & Restored (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL