The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many of us started out in magic specifically to get girls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2006-10-16 15:49, GaryW wrote:
If you started magic to try to pick up girls you picked the wrong profession/hobby.

Granted this is a generalization, but it's founded: Girls don't like magic. Simply speaking, girls don't like being lied to or tricked. Magicians do that constantly...

You may say that if you like, but magic has been a continuously profitable undertaking for me - in a number of ways ... Perhaps I should abandon it for basketweaving?

Thanks for your opinion.
Gaddy
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
What a wicker web we weave
When first we practice to deceive

Nah - basketweavings evil too...
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Nothing like a good bottom palm and pass in my book LOL.

Magically

Aus
Small magic man
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Small magic man
Can you tell me more about your book?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
And now the real question...

Has anyone ever gotten a girl because of magic?
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Nope, didn't get into magic to get girls, and I hope noone did! I think it is a little worrying if people feel the need to hide behind magic to pluck up the courage to talk to the opposite sex!

But at the risk of contradicting myself, I did meet my girlfriend whilst performing magic. But I think that is a little different - she dislikes magic, so I don't think it was that that did it!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
To tell you the truth sometimes profession is alluring to the opposite sex, I don’t know how many women have said they find firemen sexy or other similar professions but I think magic is not a equivalent to that. If anything, magic will set you aside from the multitude of guys buying for the opposite sexes affections, but it has to be done in the right way, there just seems something corny to me about pulling a deck of cards out at a candle light dinner for two and do the 21 card trick.

It has to be the right magic, in the right context and in the right situation. Don’t be deluded to think that magic is going to be the answer, because after the effect is done and dealt with, it’s just going to be you, your personality and your other traits that will be critiqued by a potential prospect. Despite magic be known for misdirection, there is no misdirecting for that fact, so keep that in the front of your mind. What ELSE will you do to win her over?

You’re probably going to find that most magicians on here look at this as a deprived application of the art, but I believe it can have merit if the above considerations are taking into your thought process, if you’re serious at exploring magic and it’s prospects in this area you might like to invest in Jay Sankeys Firestarters DVD.

When I say the right magic and in the write context just look at some fine magic on the market today like Rose from cards, Torn and restored tissue heart or anything that has a great romantic theme.

Personally, I don’t think that romance as a theme of magic is a new concept but rather its intention of it being used for something other then entertainment is the underling issue here. To tell you the truth that’s not even a new concept ether, with things like project magic being used as a rehabilitation therapy, magic for education in schools and other applications we don’t hear any raw of displeasure about any of these.

You’ll come to find out of most of the time the reason why so many magicians don’t like magic used in this way is that people who do try to do magic for this reason make a meal of it (bugger it up), which doesn’t do our art much justice. But equally, if done properly can be quite the opposite.

Magically

Aus
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
No,
I got into magic because of a gift certificate to a bookstore. I bought the Mark Wilson Cyclopedia on a whim and was addicted from then on. I was already married, which was smart...since my wife may not have agreed if she would have known I would become a magician later on... Smile

I hear it all the time...I went to college all those years to become a teacher, and now I am a magician and don't even teach - but I do preach, so I'm not a complete failure...just kidding...magic is awesome...
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
While growing up being a magician would have scared many girls away, at least in my neighborhood. A Magician was either a freaky Dungeons and Dragoons goofball, or a type of uber-geek. It certainly wasn't anything that was really cool or anything. Maybe today with folks like David Blaine and Chris Angel in the public eye it would be cool though.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
I intitially got involved in magic BEFORE I started 'liking' girls! (age 6) With that said, I did dazzle my wife-to-be in 10th grade class with a rising card trick. Now (20 years later) she tells me that she was really skeptical when I asked her to pick a card. Once it rose out of the deck, her eyes popped!!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I had a friend that used magic to get a girl...producing a rose and such things like that. He got the girl, but the relationship didn't last. Once they started dating the "magic was gone!"
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I know you guys in the states say that we magicians would seem like dorks to girls.
well it isn't the case here, that's for sure.
as I stated before, I didn't get into magic for the girls but so far it has worked wonders so to say. girls really enjoy my performances and I came to realize that it also raises their interest in myself as an individual.
it is perhaps because magic is not so popular here an in the US. in fact, it's not popular at all.it is still a well kept secret and I love it that way.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
theheartsfailure
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of theheartsfailure
I started in magic cause of the girls for sure.. I'm not gonna lie.. since then it has totaly became more than that to me. but as for the girls it hasnt payed off.. my girl friend hates magic and is sick of my always practicing new tricks and such on / with her.. but it is cool some times when girls are like OMG THAT WAS SWEET
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Well I didn't start out to get girls - and Im pretty much oblivious to them anyway when Im performing anything....actually - pretty much all the time, so its never been something I have thought about.

I must say though that its mostly the blokes that are interested in magic from what I've seen - my female housemate in paticular hates it lol.
theheartsfailure
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of theheartsfailure
Doesn't that suck about the females hating magic strangellittlemen. I wish my girl friend didn't hate magic so much so I could practice showing her things more
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Like a few of the other posters here, I got into magic WAY before I was interested in girls (6 years old). So the point is moot.
Now...31 years later, I can honestly say it never directly helped me attract girls.
Indirectly, it helped with confidence, appearance and to get into a lot of places I would not have gone to meet people.
I did meet Sylver when she came to see me perform. It wasn't a magic act, but a performance art piece. I got involved in the performance group because they wanted a magician to create gory effects. So, indirectly, magic got me the girl and we have been a couple and performing together for a little over 2 years.

I has also gotten me 4 or 5 stalkers (Not a joke)

I could not imagine going out with a pocket full of magic tricks with the intention of "Picking up chicks". Of course, I can't imagine going out with the intention of "Picking up chicks" period. My friends with that goal in mind invariably failed miserably.
There are much better ways of getting a girl (Or guy) like having a personality, being well rounded and having respect for the oppositte sex.
That could be just me...
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many of us started out in magic specifically to get girls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL