We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tower Records going out of business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
I just read today that Tower Records is going out of business - all 89 stores across the country. This is probably due to being undercut at stores like Wal-Mart and by the MP3 revolution on the internet.

It's sad, and not a little reminiscent of the death of the brick and mortar magic shops due to internet magic dealers.

Anyone else sorry to see Tower Records go?

Dai Bato
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
No, may they rot. I will never get over paying a service fee for every ticket to concerts while it was actually one transaction.
Steve V
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I am sorry to see them go - the world is changing a lot due to the internet, and not every change is good. I like going to record/cd stores and looking through the bins and hearing what they are playing in store, etc..
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
What's a record?

Just kidding. I'll be sorry to see them go. We used to hang out there as delinquents.... erm... I mean... as youngsters. Bought my first AC/DC albumn there years ago.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Darn, I have one in my neighborhood...I will miss it.
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
That's a real disappointment.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
They bought out the late, lamented Rose Records in downtown Chicago and killed it dead.

What goes around, comes around. Good riddance.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Oh, don't paradigms change?!

You want a REAL record store? Google: barky's richmond

A little shop in the rough part of Richmond, VA, where a dumb white college kid in the 1960s could walk in and find records that shook the Earth (no "top 40" here) and musicians could walk in and cross-pollinate ideas and sounds and spread 'em around.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Ross wrote:
Quote:
Oh, don't paradigms change?!

They 'shift.'
And we 'shift' with them, elsewise we too go the way of the dodo.

BTW FWIW I truly love music and record and book stores, especially old, dirty, cluttered, messy, noisy, and smoky ones. They have been a part of my life for years. I don't want to see them go the way of the dodo, but I know that time marches forth, and so must I.

Alas.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
The one in Anapolis, MD closed about a year ago. It was nice in my highschool days to have a place (+next to a Barnes & Noble --open till 11pm) that was open till midnight.
I rarely ever bought anything there -- too overpriced. Sometimes they did have rare jazz or old swing albums though. I always loved going in, passing a bunch of maldressed "punks" loitering around and bee-lining straight to the enclosed jazz/classical section and turning heads. =)

I only buy CDs for bands I truly support, mostly the neoswing ones, and mostly bought online or directly from them in person. Any modern music I hear & actually like (rare, true) I can easily "acquire" in mp3 format, ifyaknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo...
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I'm lucky to live in a sleepy Midwestern college town where we have plenty of independent book stores, music stores, and coffee shops. Of course, we have Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, and Starbucks, too, but the people generally seem to prefer supporting the independents.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Either change with the times or become a part of the past. Tower failed the test and fell.
I read an article which stated that kids these days prefer video games and the internet, over watching television. My son rarely turns on the TV and his thumbs are bigger than my biceps!
POOF!
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2006-10-13 11:46, airship wrote:
people generally seem to prefer supporting the independents.

Good, they should! It's harder & harder to start up a small biz nowadays because there are so many large companies with umbrella sales markets.

Quote:
On 2006-10-13 18:02, kregg wrote:
I read an article which stated that kids these days prefer video games and the internet, over watching television. My son rarely turns on the TV and his thumbs are bigger than my biceps!

I can't remember how many years ago it was when I watched TV regularly. 99% of all TV shows are crap (that's an absolute observation, not relative to my POV alone).
+I've always enjoyed the interactivity of games, particuarly ones with a good story line. They are far more entertaining than sitting idly in front of the boob-tube. [Idly? Nah, always a deck of cards in hand!]
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Quote:
On 2006-10-13 18:02, kregg wrote:
My son rarely turns on the TV and his thumbs are bigger than my biceps!
Very funny!!!

Dai Bato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tower Records going out of business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL