The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Help me to create my "filler" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zeitoun
View Profile
New user
Rennes, France
16 Posts

Profile of Zeitoun
Hi all,

(I hope "filler" is the right word... The french word is a "classeur". I mean a sort of book where you can attach some free hole punched sheets of paper Smile )

I'd like to organize all my magic related stuff in a filler in order to improve the way I work. Here are a few ideas I have (I had a lot, but as this is the first time I write them down, I'm sure this list isn't exhaustive, but can it be anyway ? ):

In each of the following part, I'd like to have two sub-parts which would be a "have to be worked" part and a "can be used without risk in front of a public" part.

- Sleight part:
For each sleight, I'd like to have:

+ A notation system of how I master the move (for example 5 checkboxes... When they are all checked, the sheets can move in the "can be used without risk in front of a public" part)
+ The sources I own, where I find its description (Book Title, Chapter, Page; DVD Title, chapter; Tape Title, Timing Index; etc...)
+ The generic description of the move (what it does).
+ The uses of the move (What it can be used for).
+ The real description of the move (How is it done)

- Trick part:
For each trick, I'd like to have:

+ A notation system of how I master the trick.
+ The sources I own, where I find its description.
+ The description of the effect.
+ The real description of the trick which would be a kind of array with:
* The story.
* The actions.
* The angles warnings.

My questions are:

Is this kind of trick/sleight description already described in some books?
Do you use this way, or a similar one, to organize your knowledge ?
Is there any magic MS-Word templates already existing ?
Do you have anything else to say ? Smile

Thanks a lot for your help.

Olivier.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I guess some folks do this. I know several who punch and file the original instructions to effects in a binder like you say.

Myself, I have several types of media from lecture notes to DVD and everything in
between.

I stick to writing routines that flow well and reviewing them after each showing to pick apart the weak spots. This is when I would sub a different effect.

I have a plastic tub with about 40-50 effects in it and sometimes draw from that, or haunt any of the dozen or so forums and look for new ideas.

I either use my camcorder or web cam to practice, so there is only a yea or a nay on each effect.

Last, I practice the entire routine as many times as necessary in front of a camera and use finger signals to myself for reviewing the tape. Whenever I think something may not have been exactly perfect I will use the finger queue to rewind the tape and check.

So basically what I am saying is I only track the 8 written routines on paper. The rest of the time goes to practice, or performance.

Life is short, so make the best use of your time. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-12-27 12:30, Zeitoun wrote:
(I hope "filler" is the right word... The french word is a "classeur". I mean a sort of book where you can attach some free hole punched sheets of paper Smile )

As KingStardog already pointed out, the word you're looking for is "binder."

Quote:
Is this kind of trick/sleight description already described in some books?
Do you use this way, or a similar one, to organize your knowledge ?

You might want to check out "The Magic of Michael Ammar" and "Success in Magic" both by Michael Ammar. In both of them, he talks about personal management and gives examples of forms you can use.

I've been meaning to do something like this, but I'm a real bad procrastinator, so it hasn't happened yet. Smile

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Man.. and I thought I was organized....
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Zeitoun
View Profile
New user
Rennes, France
16 Posts

Profile of Zeitoun
Ok, Perhaps am I going to far in my own organization Smile

I'll have a look at Michael Ammar's notes, but I think I'll start with what is really essential.

I'm just realizing that I never started to do this work because I want it to be too perfect (and too huge Smile )...

And yes, KingStardog, you're right! I'll try to make the best use of my time Smile

Thanks a lot for your help.

Olivier.
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
I found a wooden tool box at Sam's. It's made for tools but it's much too beautiful. Has many felt lined drawers and a box like compartment at the top. You really have to see it; it can hold loads of close-up stuff and some small props. You can check out Sam's in the tool section. Smile
Izzy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Help me to create my "filler" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL