The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson: The Two and Only--Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I saw Jay Johnson's one man show on Broadway last night, and it was wonderful. If you live anywhere near New York and have even a modest interest in ventriloquism, you owe it to yourself to see this show.

Jay combines a history of ventriloquism with his own personal history in vent, introducing many characters along the way: a snake puppet his mother made for him, the vulture Nethernore [great inside joke], his first hard figure, Squeaky, Bob from "Soap," a tennis ball named Spaulding, a nutcracker, an Axtell drawing board,and finally the monkey Darwin.

Of course, Jay's technique is a wonder to behold. His character manipulation is great, and he infused great personality into his sidekicks. The jokes are very funny, ranging from dirty to subtle.

What characterizes the show most for me is Jay's great humanity. The story of his personal journey through vent is funny and touching, the latter particularly when he tells of his relationship to his mentor. Jay makes a strong case for ventriloquism as an art. (Not always fully convincing, but then we could argue whether magic is an art, blah, blah, blah.....)

The theater is a small Broadway house (650 seats), and the show has an intimate feel to it. Unfortunately, according to Jay's blog, they are not selling enough tickets to break even. I don't know how long the run will be. So go see this master of ventriloquism doing what he loves. You'll love it, too.

Bob
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Thanks for the review Bob. I wish I could support the show myself but its a long way to travel!! Do you have an address for Jay's Blog?

I happened upon this clip of Jay relating a story about Shari Lewis and Lambchop. Sorry if it's already been posted on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DejHmwQ1G9Y
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Didn't know he was in town. Just bought tickets for this Saturday Smile

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 13:54, kimmo wrote:
Do you have an address for Jay's Blog?

Here it is:

http://www.hellandhayes.blogspot.com/

B
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Thanks Bob.

For members in the U.K. - Letterman's 'Ventriloquist Week' is being broadcast on ITV 4 at the moment - Jay and Darwin will be featured on Monday 23rd October, 2006
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Sorry - I got the date wrong. Jay and Darwin should be on letterman on ITV 4 on TUESDAY 25th October.

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Does this run all week?

I've had a look at the listings for ITV4 and can't find anything on it.

Oh, and for those wanting to watch the Letterman show it airs at about 2am (ish). It changes from day to day.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Sorry folks - I based my announcement of Jay's imminent appearance on the fact that the Willie Tyler and Lester episode was shown last Friday. It now appears that ITV4 are showing them all out of sequence, so its anybody's guess at when it will be shown, if ever. Sorry guys!!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson: The Two and Only--Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL