The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Live at the jailhouse. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
Heygeno
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Heygeno
If there is a God in heaven...PLEASE STOP!!!! All of you...WE GET IT.. Some will like these dvd's...some will not...They will not make you a great success in reataurants..that is up to you...JUST STOP THIS THREAD...no one wins!!!!!

Gene
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I love re-watching these DVD's. The magic is what is known as "Commercial". The performers are the finest. Newbies and experienced Magi will get soemthing out of these.

I love the work Kozmo Magic has brought to the community. I think Kozmo and also Bob Kohler have brought us folks we might never ever see.

Now, back to Live At The Jailhouse. Anyone find a routine or twist onan effect they already do that was worth the price of ther DVD set?

The work Kirk Charles presented was INCREDIBLE!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 16:38, Danny Diamond wrote:
- does anyone know where to get those little Pygmy Paddle's that Paul Green uses?

I just heard back from Paul via my PM to him, and I was right, he was offering 50 paddles and his lecture notes on the Café for a special price ($20).. He was kind enough to extend the special to me and gave me a suggestion where I might find the paddles locally (at a local Restaurant/bar Supply house).

James
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Paul Green is a great guy and top notch magician.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just watched Justin Miller's section again. Has anyone noticed that besides incredible technique and routining that Justin is SCREAMINGLY funny? It's the dry, subtle, intelligent humor that I love.

I do his signed torn and restored sugar packet ( only one packet used, no switches ) and it kills.

What a DVD set this is!!!!

Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
You know chris I did notice that..and I thought it was just me. By the way I am really glad you are performing shockingly sweet. I love this routine.

Justin N. Miller
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 13:04, jussy wrote:
You know chris I did notice that..and I thought it was just me. By the way I am really glad you are performing shockingly sweet. I love this routine.

Justin N. Miller

I've had about a dozen Sweet n Low packets sittout on the island in my kitchen for about 2 weeks now, with the intention of learning/practicing the routine. This weekend, I will finally get to it! It does look pretty good.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 16:31, Danny Diamond wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 13:04, jussy wrote:

Justin N. Miller

I've had about a dozen Sweet n Low packets sittout on the island in my kitchen for about 2 weeks now, with the intention of learning/practicing the routine. This weekend, I will finally get to it! It does look pretty good.

You look like the Justin from the DVD, except he's taller!

This idea is killer. Anyone that loves using a TT, or wants to use one but is worried they won't sell it, this will get you over the hump in using it.

I LOVE this routine. Well, I should say I love the technique. I don't beleive in ever doing someone elses routine unless I absoultely can't change it without compromising it. Then I'll ask the creator for his ok. My routine isn't better than Justin's, just a different to suit me.

Chris

D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
321 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I’ve now had time to study the DVDs in detail and must say I am blown away – they are AMAZING. Everything just feels so “right” – the performances in real life situations (and not the hyped up L&L audience) and the advice sessions filmed as informal chats to camera. It is REALLY impressive. I just wish I’d had access to this level of information when I first started about 17 years ago. Time and again I found myself nodding and realizing that I had found out a lot of the advice given here by trial and error. I would say that anyone who wants to perform close up magic in a commercial (i.e. real life) setting whether it be in a restaurant or general table hopping simply MUST purchase these tapes.

I have brought many, many DVDs over the years that purport to give the “real secrets” of performing Close Up Magic. Some are very good and a few are rubbish – without doubt Live at the Jailhouse is THE most comprehensive advice and material currently available. It is worth WAY more than the asking price. Oh …and The Jailhouse looks a fab place to eat out. Wish I lived a bit closer so I could sample the food !!!!!
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For those of you interested in the torn and restored sweetner packet you may want to also check out the TT vid compilation put out by L&L under the Worlds Greatest Magic by the Worlds Greatest Magicians. Richard Osterlinds handling is very nice (so is Millers).
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I love shockingly sweet, and sweet & low. the patter for pygmy paddle makes it real great for lay people. anyone have a link where I can buy those (stirrers?) he uses.

I'm looking forward to using the sugar packet tricks =)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Keep in mind you don't want to use regular sugar.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I use the pink stuff
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
I know I am going down in flames for this...in the words of Men on Film...

HATED IT!

Regurgitated material....most of which is common sense.
Boring and contrived.
Sorry
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Thank you for your review. But to someone who is NOT educated in this field..it has served to be a very valuable resource. Just last week a young man e-mailed me and he applied what he learned from live, and bagged himself 2 weekly giggs. So at least it is helping those it was INTENDED for. I am happy to hear you are beyond this material (as many of us are) but it IS serving a purpose to many young, uneducated, up and coming performers.
Justin N. Miller
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've said it before and once again I'll state it here. If they removed all the tricks from this dvd you would have two things:
1. A valuable resource for learning, or adding to ones present knowledge, about the art of getting and keeping a restaurant magic job.
2. Even more weeping from those that only are concerned about learning tricks and really don't care about the other stuff like business.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I consider myself a not-so-young up and coming performer. I got a LOT of useful information from this set. Aside from seeing the interaction at the tables, I didn't get it for the effects shown. In fact, I skipped the explanations of the effects the first time through.

Is everything on it for me? No, but what ever is. The only thing I didn't like was one "from the mouth" effect. Sure the spectator didn't touch it, but what about the next table, shaking hands etc... Still this was a great source of information for me that I will be applying soon-ish.

Best,
Jim
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
I don't get how telling people what to wear, not to interrupt dinner, and not to step on the toes of people who work in the restaurant valuable information that could not have been arrived at without a set of 3 dvds. Like I said...all this information was common sense. (Except the part about wearing hawaiian shirts...)
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Well I loved it, I am now working on getting a restaurant gig. I am a young magician and just have a few questions. first, how do you guys handle really big table of around 20 people? Also where can I get some good "stuff" for the rising card effect?

Thanks a lot for this dvd set! priceless information(for me anyway).
-aaron
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are variables but for a large banquet type table I would segment the table and works for small groups and then, if the situation allows, do something for the entire table like a rope routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Live at the jailhouse. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL