The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 11-12 year olds??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Hello,

I need some advice. I have been booked to do a show for 35 11-12 year olds Smile

Can anyone tell me what kind of tricks you would do for them.

Thanks,
Robert
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Do your adult show, just make it suitable for this age. Every book you read on children's magic will tell you that when performing for 10 year olds and older you cannot get away with kids tricks. Also, they will be working their butts off trying to catch you out so you have to break a lot of rules to make the effects seem more impossible. David Kaye gives an example when performing card on ceiling. He will give away the ending by saying "Look at the ceiling, notice how there isn't a card up there?" He says otherwise the kids will assume the card was always there and as you know when they start screaming out how it was done you've lost, whether or not they're right.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I cannot believe how many of you out there take bookings for situations which you do not have acts for!

If you are accepting money for this booking I feel it is imoral and at the very least a diservice to fellow performers
Phillip Smile
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
440 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
What tricks are you doing for your reagular show?
I do my same show for ages 3-13. It is a fun family type show with a birthday theme.For the older groups I ussaly just add a card trick.
Maybe I could help out if you let me know what you are perfroming now?
Shawn
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have to agree with phillip. If you don't have the material or feel comfortable performing for this age, then you should not do the show.

For that age I often teach them magic tricks. At that age many of them "KNOW EVERYTHING" or at least they think they do. So I do a 20 min show the I teach them easy yet cool magic tricks that they can keep and learn.

Best,
ken scott
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Phillip is absolutely right.
Booking a show and then looking to build an act for it is definitely the wrong way to go!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's a different view point:

There is a difference between Peter and Robert.

If I asked Peter/Phillip/KenScott to put together a special show for a particular audience, I believe they have the experience, the routines in their "magic box", and the ability to pull it off without a problem. (They would go over it numerous times before presenting it.)

Robert, on the other hand, demonstrates his inexperience and knowlege level by asking a question which is common knowledge to a pro, in which case, the above posters are right to post their opinions related to this.

There is a list of effects I will not do for this crowd, and a group of exciting effects that will appeal to them. There are also effects which cross all age groups and works for this group. The Vanishing Bandana/Banana as an example, however, this effect establises the type of magician (comedian) they are expecting for the rest of the show.
Dennis Michael
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I am not going to condemn our friend in NE England for what he is doing, as especially when you are starting off both show wise and financially then any booking in that diary looks so good. Over 20 years ago we were stumbling around taking anything from dangerous mental patients to 12 year olds to 'no-go' areas of inner city Manchester. It is some of these entertainers that have been going for years and continue to think they can go out and work by instinct and the skin of their teeth all the while, and have the attitude: "as long as they pay that's all that matters" that I condemn. I would simply ask: Is it a Birthday? If so is it a boy or girl? - A girl? Well do you have any disco equipment or can you borrow any? The girls will enjoy a limited amount of magic, but will be more interested in dancing and singing (they love to hold a mike individually and sing). A boy? - the same over disco, but you will also certainly need some good adult magic routines. Your resume says you are "The Magic Circles Young Close-Up Magician of the Year". If so your skills will go down well with lads - but you'll need to establish their respect first and turn a deaf ear to some of their remarks. Be prepared to "teach" them something. Don't even think of presenting any 3s to 7s birthday magic to them! When the gig is over sit down and analyse it, and ask yourself: "am I prepared to do this again"? If so then PREPARE next time. Smile
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
hey the lad only asked what tricks we would do for them. He didn't say he didn't already have a show lined up for them so I don't think his professionalism is in question at all. In fact using this forum to get suggestions to improve his act is an example of dedication to the booker rather than the opposite.
That said, 35 11-12 year olds? Rather you than me. Keep em laughing or they'll be telling you everything is up your sleeve every two minutes. Make sure you do all your trick confidently because 11/12 year olds have an inbuilt ability to know when a performer is unsure of himself.
If someone booked me for a group this age I would probably persuade them to have a workshop instead (not for 35 though). Entertaining people between 9 and 16 is not my forte
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI George,
Sorry, But that's the way it sounds to me. I know that the forums are to try and help others. but sometimes saying things that people do not like is helping too. Magic societys are often a typical example of a lack of honesty holding performer back from reaching their potential. no one ever says well Bert that was bloody awful. even when Bert asks for honest opinions people are reluctant to be honest even in a kind way.
i think the biggest thing for moving you forward as a performer is learning to interperate comments from lay audiences about your show, Knowing when you did do a good show or effect and when they are saying "good show/effect" but really they thought it was poor or mediocure. Do i have the all the answers ...... NO, But I am trying to get them and one of the things I think helps others is being honest.

Phillip
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
974 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I'm also with Philip on this one, in many respects. The one thing that helped the first time I did a parlor show (in fact my first public performance) was the very honesty of a magician friend who happened to be in the audience. If not for him I think I may still be making some of the same unintentional mistakes I was making at the start of my magical performing career.
As a side note, for that particular show I took the booking 2 weeks in advance and only had about half of the material ready and had to work like crazy to get the othe half ready. I was not very confident in my magic abilities at the time, but rather was relying on my experience as a performer in other areas like music, street theather, the ability to speak the local language, etcetra to carry me over. I was winging it a bit to be honest.
Here in the city where I live I'm basically the only foreigner doing magic (live in Taiwan) and this adds to the appeal with local booking agents, and to be honest at the start of my magic performing career , I lent on that quite a bit to get me started. Thankfully, things have come out ok, and now bookings come in regularly. I've also worked hard to impove my skills, and variety of the types of magic I can perform. If I was asked to perform a show now for an audience that I was not prepared for, and didn't feel capable of handling, I'd decline and not take the booking at the risk of losing my reputation in the market. Funny how he live and learn.
Just a few thoughts from me,
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I'd like to thanks Magic George. I actually already had an act for this show but I was asking what YOU would have done if you had been booked. I just thought that it would make for an interesting discussion here.

I never actuay said that I wanted some ideas for what I could do. Perhaps I should have made it clearer.

Thanks anyway,
Robert
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 11-12 year olds??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL