The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Magic Rip Off (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Occams Razor
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Occams Razor
Here's another magic rip off artist at work. It's a kid named Stanley Tang, who has ripped off 3 tricks: Paper Into Money, Card Warp and Professor's Nightmare, and he is claiming them as his. He's now selling videos of himself performing the tricks, and then explaining them for $10. The performances are pathetic. Check them out at: http://www.devzone.info/wsomagic/

When will idiots learn that it's not right to rip off tricks when they don't belong to you?

Occam
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
How did he miss "Pick a Card"? LOL

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
Does the link work?
When I click it, it brings me to some marketing site.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Nikyas,
That site is still Stanley Tang's, but it's no longer about magic. It's about his marketing programs. However, I found another site of his that is selling magic - http://www.moneymakingstuff.com/magic.html
It's obvious he's not a magician; no practice, fumbling, etc. If he's such a marketing "guru"...well, isn't the first rule of marketing to have a quality product? Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The book is $47.00, and the video is $47.00, but now a special offer of both for $47.00. Wow, what a deal.
I have not seen a video/DVD of a pro in years selling for that price. I guess Stanley (who I have never heard of) is special.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 03:21, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
It's obvious he's not a magician; no practice, fumbling, etc. If he's such a marketing "guru"...well, isn't the first rule of marketing to have a quality product? Smile

The answer is NO, you don't have to have quality anything to get rich selling; look at Ronco or Thomas Kinkade.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Let's all shoot for Quality and the Genuine Article.
Support Greatness, Live Well, Be Happy!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love the reference to Kinkade. What awful stuff and it sells like crazy. ARgh..
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
Sad really...
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
I only watched him doing the card change and couldn't go any further. Looks like it was the first time he did it.

Sad is right!!!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I really like Thomas Kinkade. You guys are talking about the guy who paints pictures of houses with lights, right?

Ron
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
You want to see something magic related and sad at the same time about Mr Kinkade. Check out this site below and go down to the personal conduct section. I'm guessing S & R did'nt send him a Christmas card again this year!

Happy New Year all, Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kinkade
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Given the way he "marks his territory" you'd think he'd be right at home in the S&R compound.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sorry Ron, if you know art Kinkade is a hack (most of the stuff he produces is done by others in a factory setting).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Everyone knows artists are supposed to be poor and cut off their ears and end tragically. Kinkade has turned his art into a big money-making business (can we say "profiteering" and link it with his name?). Therefore, forget that you like his art and look down your nose at his businessman's ways. The same goes for those TV celebrity magicians like Blaine and Angel and Copperfield. The nerve of some people to make money from art!

However, Stanley Tang really is the pits, you have to admit!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2006-12-31 16:56, Ron Reid wrote:
I really like Thomas Kinkade. You guys are talking about the guy who paints pictures of houses with lights, right?

Ron

Thomas Kinkade does not sell art at all, he sells mechanical reproductions of “art” and it is also questionable if what he does or his people do for him, could be considered real art. What he does is no difference than someone doing a bronze sculpture making an image of it, then signing the image and selling it. Unlike an etching which is artistic process on the other hand photo mechanical or digital reproduction is not an artistic process. Maybe a better analogy of what he does would be better explained like this: Chevy make a car that sells for $50,00.00, they take a photo of the car and sell a limited edition of 1000 at $10,000.00 for each photo, personally singed dy the designer, but call it a car instead of a picture of a car. Car = Art do you get the it?

The group that bestowed the name “Painter of Light” which he acquired a Trade Mark on, is a group that he formed and was the head of. He is a great promoter in the tradition of P.T. Barnum but not considered an artist by any museum or artist group or association other than the ones owns or are controlled by Thomas Kinkade and his corporation.

I'm not saying the stuff he sells is not collectable but it is more in line with Baseball cards and “Hot Wheels” than art.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Personally, I like his paintings. I don't consider them worth the money he asks, but they are still very pretty in my eyes.

There is something ironic between his behaviour and how he pushes the Christian angle to sell his stuff. Guess he's an example of how NOT to behave.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
His pictures are pretty. We repainted our dinning room, it's pretty too, but, like what he does, it is more a skill of craft than art.
leverkus
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of leverkus
Wasnt this a discussion of magic rip off???? I know, there are many like this one out there selling magic or unreal effects....but in the link given above....there isn't even a reference to hi or an email adress or hoy to pay or get it....if I wanted to get this, I couldn't....how???

but not only little kids wanting to make money have this kind of rip offs. the biggest magic store in internet not to say names but simply LIE to the magicians when selling their producs. like wanting to fools us by selling something hat isn't. actually young amateurs go and buy these. but with stigmata.....youre not able to "read someones mind" like it saied int he promotional video. and its not ney, this trick is pretty old and sold as their own creation....punctured....its the same...i just say this one on an old coin magic tricks book....about 6 xears old or more....and I think this is much worse than a little person trying to get some money
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
From what I have observed the ones you are talking about , are getting ripped off by dealers because, they want a magic trick that takes no practice, in other words something for nothing. Another reasons, they get caught up in the hype, dealers the dealers spew and don’t do their home work, by reading reviews, asking others magicians or just popping in on The Magic Café.

This post is not about that kind of rip off. It about representing someone else’s product, routine or others types of intellectual property as yours and selling it or even giving it away. Especially if it is an substandard, cheep, misrepresented copy of some one else’s work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Magic Rip Off (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL