The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Cups for Gazzo Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 15:33, John Bowlin wrote:
Yep, same ones I bought for $99. I'd recognize those loose rolled edges anywhere.

*snort*
stop that John. I was drinking milk.

they do look like they are worth $99 but I'd have to hold them to see to be sure.
So if gazzo was "impressed", I'm guessing he was impressed based on the $99 pricetag?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Frank, they are $179 now. I can assure you, these can't even begin to compare to the Gary Animal made cups so many pro's use. If you plan to use them as a pro, keep looking for other cups, maybe some Animal made cups on e-bay or something.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
$99? Maybe. $179? I don't think so. I'll stick to my Animals.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

For large cups I have used animal and cellini cups and love them both.
I saw those cups available for $99 all the time on ebay.

Now they are $179? Double the price? And Brass?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Copper cups in this style & size are still available for $99 from this website.

They certainly don't compare to more 'serious' cups in terms of durability, but if your purse won't stretch to a set of Riser/Animal/Cellini cups and you're looking for a big set of 'street' cups, these are pretty good value.

Bill Palmer's review of these cups is here
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Good find Taliesin. Those are great cups for busking or practicing or even performing big cups on a budget given the price. I have the brass and copper in these and I must say I much prefer the copper aesthetically. I really like my brass Johnson cups but brass in a big street cup just doesn't do it for me. No way I'm going to put my Riser cups over concrete or brick. If my $99 cups hit the ground I say "oops" intead of "oh @#%$"!!!
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
So...is it just a matter of money??...i also care about money, so if you are a street worker get 2 or 3 sets!
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Two or three sets at $99 equals one lifetime set of another brand. Two or three sets at $179? I don't think so.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Dave, the only issue with a lifetime set ....For stage and close up work only I am sure the lifetime investment option is a no brainer.

Doing street, well that is a different story. Even Gazzo tells of having one of his cups found by diver. And with the brazen packs of nasty street urchins who seem to becoming more emboldened by the day, maybe 99 bucks aint so bad.

Everything is a trade off and everything costs. Sometimes it is so hard to tell where to spend the $$$$$$$$$. For example I am looking at adding a Whip cracking routine. You think cups vary in prices... shop for Bullwhips. Baby you ain't seen nothing yet...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

"Crack That Whip.... "

do you have the music blaring????
Isn't that DEVO?
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Are good cups lifetime guaratee ?? would you let your kids play with them ?
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
I'm not sure I'd let kids play with any cups, as kids have a way of breaking everything. However, good quality cups will take one hell of a beating. They will take beating with a wand for sound, they will take falling off the table onto the concrete sidewalk (and still nest), they will take spectators dropping them, they will take falling out of the car when getting home or to the pitch, or getting smashed in the car door while trying to close the door with a full car from all your gear.

Good cups will take that beating and serve you well. Cheap cups won't. Those are real life things that WILL happen to your cups. Imagine showing up at your location for a weekends work, after driving a few hundred miles to get there, and then having your cups get damaged 15 minutes into your first show when someone drops one. What now? Either you have a backup routine and skip the cups, or you're shut down. All because you wanted to save $150 on cups. My opinion is it's not worth the risk, if you're serious about performing for money.

You get what you pay for in cups.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Magicpitch, just visit your site and did not see any cup (just the chop cups).are they all gone ??
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I've dropped Animal Cups and Cellini cups on the concrete. Didn't even see a ding in either set. No harm done.

I'm a believer in buying nice props and using them. Nothing should sit on a shelf waiting for just the right gig. In the end, you die. I'd like to go knowing that what I spent my money on got used and used well. I don't mind scratches, dings, dents. They all tell a tale.

I refer to my old story about my friend who had a special golf ball that he got from the US Open. He kept in his bag. He showed it to me when we were playing.
"I'm saving it", he told me.
"For what? Use the damm ball! It might become your lucky ball", I said.

So he used it. Hit it right in the water on the first shot.
"See, now we have a funny story to tell people."

...and NO harm done!

Constantly looking for bargains is a waste of time and money.

Research. Find out what the best is. Buy it and use it.
Less time and less money in the long run.

Buy props you can be proud of and USE THEM!!!!!!!!
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
Seadawg pm me if you need some info on whips just had one made and it is a beauty. Not cheap though.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Frank there is an old band Nmaed Goddo, that had some trash talk to Carol POpe of Rought Trade,

Song .... Oh carole Kiss my Whip..

NOt for the family act
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Medric, I gotta ask a question.
WHAT THE HECK IS A WHIP CRACKING ROUTINE???
Sounds very interesting...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Although it's off topic here, whip cracking is commonly seen at "Wild West" shows, cowboy festivals, and some Renaissance Faires.

It's pretty much exactly what it says. It's a demonstration of skill in using a bullwhip to cut paper, snuff out candles, knock cigarettes out of the mouth of the assistant, that sort of thing. Just the "cracking" noise of the whip itself is impressive and quickly draws a crowd.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
My dear freind Cory,
Glad to hear from you. Hope all is well and you are keeping busy.
Dave's post says it all....
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Walid, all the Gary Animal cups have been gone since Gary moved to New Zealand. I understand he's back in the UK, but for now, his cups are found on e-bay from time to time. Who knows if he'll continue to make them in the future. If you can find a set, pick them up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Cups for Gazzo Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL