The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Riffle Stacking Learning Resources (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
What are best resources for learning Riffle Stacking (books and dvds)?

Also which are the best demonstration/exposes of riffle stacking?
papermechanic
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of papermechanic
Karl Fulves and marlo have some great books on riffle stacking, but they are pretty hard to find. some cool expose sources are in darwin ortiz's cardshark, at the card table, and scams and fantasies. be prepared to practice like crazy.
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Whats there to learn?
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Quote:
On 2006-10-16 12:55, sodman12 wrote:
Whats there to learn?

Quite a bit I think.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Riffle Stacking for Dummies is a good place to start. Also check out Petrick and Mia's DVD's for the real work.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Silly Walter, do youy have internet links for the stuff you just mentioned?
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Theres really not that much to learn.

If I was you I would start trying it first.

Hold back 2 hold back 3 hold back 4 and once you can do that then you good.

I mean I really don't think you need to spend money on it.

Just my opinion though.
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Thanks for clearing that up sodman, at first I thought you were just being sarcastic
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 12:23, CardShark2004 wrote:
Silly Walter, do youy have internet links for the stuff you just mentioned?

I was being Silly, however papermechanic's post does list some very good sources (second post from the top). I would also add "Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table" to his list for some additional riffle stacking stuff.

It does take quite a bit of practice so make sure you clear your calendar for the next few years and get to work on it.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I would second the Ortiz material as a good source of material for riffle stacking. I think for a gambling demo riffle stacking the royal flush is hard to beat. He does a three shuffle sequence for a five handed game in which you wind up with the RF.

Don't overlook Jack Carpenter's stuff either..
Self concept is destiny..
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Cool, thanks for the tips everybody
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
But really I wouldnt get into buying anything untill you can hold back any amount of cards that you need. I think most people here would agree that this would be a good first step and would deff. speed things up later on.

P.S. I would work on it untill you can hold back 6 or 7 just on feel. I would say give it idk anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get that down, depending on how good you already are with a deck.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Sodman, that's what I'll do then. (I always like tips that save me money, or at the very least delay me from spending money)
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
But really ive never gotten advice on riffle stacking and I can do it just fine.

I think with a lot of magic when you try it the first time you going to be like "this sucks and its to hard" then you will stop and maby a few days later you will try again and I usually repeat this process maby 3-4 times before I can get it.
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Perhaps, its the culling methods you seek. Stacking a four a kind in one shuffle, like others have mentioned, isn't really that difficult if enough practice is put in to be rythmic. Culling the cards to the top or bottom of the deck during a riffle shuffle is an art unto its self. I've found that Marlo's methods in Mag 6 work well.

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Quote:
On 2006-10-29 08:47, S.W.Erdnase wrote:
Perhaps, its the culling methods you seek. Stacking a four a kind in one shuffle, like others have mentioned, isn't really that difficult if enough practice is put in to be rythmic. Culling the cards to the top or bottom of the deck during a riffle shuffle is an art unto its self. I've found that Marlo's methods in Mag 6 work well.

SW

The only time that is easy is if your playing with one person. I don't see how you can consider stacking 4 in one shuffle not difficult.
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
With time, patience and practice these techniques become quite easy, almost second nature. While I don't want to sound as if its a cake walk, it does take quite a bit of perspiration. Stacking four in one is the natural progression of stacking when practiced with a passion that this type of work requires.

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
246 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Karl Fulves has two books that up to his last mailing were still available. They are
Setting Up Exercises
Blocking Off

Here is the TOC for Blocking Off,it seems that the forum that housed TOC of books is down and I didn't keep the TOC of Setting Up.

Chapter One: Stop and Think
Page 6 Stop and Think
Page 9 Riffle and Think
Page 10 Remotely Possible
Page 11 Thoughts of Others
Page 12 TellTale Color
Page 13 Notes

Chapter Two: The Riffle Glimpse
Page 15 Reflex Action
Page 15 Color Fast
Page 16 Color Double
Page 18 Two Handed Glimpse
Page 19 How Fast?
Page 22 Random Stop
Page 23 Stop Order
Page 24 Concluding Notes

Chapter Three: Sizing Up Breaks
Page 25 Tossing Quarters
Page 27 How Small a Break
Page 30 Royal Reunion

Chapter Four: Side Effects
Page 33 Side Effects Deck
Page 36 Fourthcoming
Page 38 Named Triumph
Page 40 Transfer Notes
Page 41 The Shallow Cut
Page 44 Simple Steebbins
Page Cheat Deck

Chapter Five: Blocking Off
Page 50 Blocking Off Defined
Page 51 Blocking Off
Page 52 Paraell Offset
Page 53 Conditions
Page 55 Right Side Glimpse
Page 57 Stop Sign
Page 58 Take A Chance Note

Chaper Six: More Block Controls
Page 60 Angled Square Up
Page 61 Reverse Step
Page 61 Two Step
Page 62 Two by Four
Page 64 Advanced Placement
Page 65 Blocking the Aces
Page 67 Master Riffle Stops
Page 69 Blocking Out X
Page 71 Not Here
Page 73 Scarne's Block Release
Page 76 In Line Breaks
Page 77 Peripherals

Chapter Seven: Card Effects
Page 78 Applications
Page 79 No Contact Location
Page 81 Your Card Mine
Page 83 Beginner's Only
Page 86 M&M
Page 89 The Value of X
Page 90 Multudinous
Page 92 Lost,Found

Chapter Eight: More Card Effects
Page 94 Pat Hand Pete
Page 95 Krypto
Page 96 Trifecta
Page 98 Well Spelt
Page 99 Spell Re-Tell
Page 100 The Block Trap
Page 102 Tracer
Page 104 A Note on Timing
Page 105 Forklift
Page 106 Return to Base

Chapter Nine
Page 110 Shuffle Crimp
Page 116 Thickset
Page 118 Short End
Page 119 No-Break Cull
Page 121 Topped Gaff

Chapter Ten: Cull/StackShuffles
Page 123 Color Cull
Page 124 Cull to the Top
Page 125 Royal Gathering
Page 125 The Flush Cull
Page 126 A Quick Pair
Page 129 John Scarne's Method
Page 131 Four of a KInd
Page 132 The Edge
Page 134 Cool Hand Duke
Page 137 Retain Full Deck Order
Page 139 Improv Aces
Page 143 Sign-Steal-Deliver

Chapter Eleven: No Looking
Page 146 Peek Mirrors
Page 147 Reflection
Page 148 Swing Out Shiner
Page 150 Glimpse via Scarne
Page 151 Hull's Electra Trance

Chapter Twelve: Cut Controls
Page 154 Block Cut
Page 157 Three Way Cut
Page 159 P.W. Miller's The Gambler
Page 160 Transfer Cut
Page 163 Con Man's Cut
Page 165 Blackjack Cut
Page 167 Bait and Switch
Page 170 Option Cut
Page 172 Scarne's Aces

Chapter Thirteen: Gambling
Page 174 Gambler's Den
Page 175 Cut for High Card
Page 176 Leverage
Page 179 Reparation
Page 181 Retaining Top Stock
Page 183 Shuffle Functions
Page 184 Bottom Stock Stays
Page 185 Bottom Stock to Top
Page 186 Stick Transfer
Page 187 Two Edged
Page 190 Subconscious Secret
Page 193 Scarne's Triple Threat
Page 198 All Angle Square Up
Page 201 Center Stacking

Hope it helps
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Sodman is correct. Place the cards you want to stack on top of the deck (assume 4 aces). Split the deck for shuffling aces on top of the left. Riffle faster with the right half, holding back four cards on the right for a five handed game. When you have held back the four drop all but three on the left. Now drop the four from the right, then the three on the left. Split for the next shuffle and again hold back four on the right but this time two on the left. Next shuffle four on the right but one on the left. Finally four on the top of the left.

Keep this in mind the more hands you stack the further the first ace in moved down into the deck. So you have to take care that you don't shuffle extra cards into your stack as you shuffle each additional ace. Example: For 6 hands after the first shuffle the ace is at position 6. The next shuffle the first ace is at 12 and the next eighteen, etc. It is easy to shuffle additional cards accidently into your stack if not careful. So to prevent shuffling into the stack you should learn to do a block transfer or a shuffle like the Zarrow shuffle that will allow you to keep your stack intact.

Regarding the last hand: If you want the hand to go to the third player in a five handed game, hold back two card. As you will find out it is always one card less than the number you want the hand to fall to.

For a block transfer you will need to learn a false shuffle like the push through or pull through. For a Zarrow shuffle I would check out Gary Plants website. His handling of the Zarrow is very good.

You should also learn a couple of false cuts. These would be beneficial.

One of the most important things regarding riffle stacking is the rhythm and speed of the shuffle. Most people who do stacking tend to slow down while they are holding back the correct number of cards. This is especially true when holding back a larger number of cards.

I am skeptical or Erdnase's earlier post about stacking four hands in one shuffle. There are pseudo methods that can accomplish that so perhaps he was referencing one of those methods as opposed to legitimate riffle stacking.

Regarding references check out the Steve Forte Gambling Protection Series. In addition to riffle stacking you will discover so much other things to work on that it will blow your mind. Marlo Riffle Shuffle Systems can be obtained from the Jon Racherbaumer site (his site is a pay site) but I believe that once you join you can down load the Marlo material for free. Check with Racherbaumer. Ortiz and Carpenter have some nice routines involving stacking that you should definitely check out. Martin Nash's material is also excellent. You may want to get the Herb Zarrow DVD to see how Mr. Zarrow does the shuffle and you will get some valuable pointers that people usually miss. After that I would check out Gary Plants thoughts on the Zarrow.

I know this is a lot to obsorb so I'll stop.

Best Wishes,

Steve
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Not to toot my own horn but I have my triumph stack in the secret sections of the Café with several good ideas. (Also in one of my blog books at my web site http://www.bishmagic.org). Being a block transfer shuffle it works well for stacking on the table for magicians. I would not use it in a real game to cheat but for magic it is very good.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Riffle Stacking Learning Resources (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL