We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Disappointing pickpocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalsongwriter
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicalsongwriter
I went to a magic show this past weekend. My father in law booked this magician to come to do a show for seniors in his community. This guy called himself a pickpocket. Personally I do mostly stage and close up performances so I was interested in seeing how this guy could pull off some of the pickpocketing stunts I have seen before. About a half hour before the show was to begin I went to the restroom and as I came out I was approached by the magician who asked me if I would like to be a part of the show. I agreed to help him and he went on to explain that I was to pretend that he took my watch and then as he was being tied up I was to put the watch back in his hands and then he was going to take my belt and then my wallet. at the end of the show strangers came up to me and asked if it was real and I pretended that it was. My family knew it was staged because I don't wear a watch. I felt very disappointed but of course it led me to question whether or not this is the standard method for picking pockets. I am hoping it is not. Could somebody please enlighten me. Thanks, Jeff Blum
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
No, most pocket picking is real. the use of misdirection. and this isn't in the right area I do believe. since the basis picking pockets, not escapes.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5104 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Not on the streets. Those guys are amazing to watch, but don't let them catch you watching.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Do a search on pickpocking here on the Café. There have been several in depth threads discussing technique and how to frame a show.

The use of stooges is a rather comonplace practice. However it is the rare pickpocket that frames his whole show using stooges.

Typically a final "imposible" trick like the shirt pull is staged with a stooge and is the only stooge in the show.

It is unfortunate that you experienced this performance. Pickpocketing is ever so easy (compared to picking a lock for example)and doesn't need the use of stooges.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
When in a stage setting the use of stooges is probably a safer route...I know I've used this method for years and it always is received well.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If it had been entertaining,,,,what the hell, anything goes to get the clap!!

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Disappointing pickpocket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL