The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Fitzkee on Comedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Just found this on the web. Interesting stuff that's sure to be thought and debate provoking!

http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/fitzkee/SfM15.html
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Whew, comedy is such as serious topic sometimes!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
I never could get through more than a chapter or two of Fitzkee without taking a break!

Dry doesn't even come close.

But great material!
Not enough card trick, though.
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Frankly I don't think much of what Fitzkee wrote it worth a hoot.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
You can tell he's a very smart guy and he knows it. Most people don't find this combination likable. People like this often get a bad reputation. His work is very hard to read but once I get into it, I don't it find so much as dry but challenging. It took me two hours to get through this read. Considering I'm leaving tomorrow for a three month journey, haven't packed a thing, or let alone rehearse, you should have an idea as to how smart I am. I'm very likeable! Smile

Take this passage:
"If the comedy, however, is ludicrous, it comes from reflecting upon what is to the disadvantage of another. However, it is less to the disadvantage of another than it is ridiculous. A thing or person may be ludicrous without implying moral demerit or deprecation of the moral character of the object. It arises from a cause independent of the subject. As an example: The pompous, dignified president of a bank would be ludicrous if a suspender, quite by accident, should be seen hanging below his coat tail. It is associated more or less to that which is personal and it causes laughter because it is absurd, incongruous or preposterous."

It sounds at first "mumbo jumbo." But after reading it over and over, referring to his example and back and forth, he starts making since. Here I find he philosophically paints an accurate picture of the nature and psychology of why ludicrous is funny. Or maybe I've read it so many times, I'm seeing a circus in the clouds.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
I think Pete hit the Nail on the head...
I think a student of our Art should read those books file it away in your brain and just go out there and see what works in todays world. I will bet you that if you return to those files in your brain you will say hey Fitzkee had something correct and a lot of things wrong...You can Discect comedy till you turn blue, but in the end. You'll learn that somethings just work and somethings don't and yet what works for you wont work for others...
cheers chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Fitzkee on Comedy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL