The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Deleted Graphics (Bunnies) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Several times I posted graphics, some of them were mine and one time I posted a link to Owen's magic Disemobied Princess give full link to Owen's page to it. (Not a copy just a link) These pictures were deleted without explaninations.

Recently under Sponge Bunnies we were talking about these bunnies that others had no idea what they were. I linked them to Denny and Lees, to which Denny Haney is a good friend and I usually tell him when I order, I brought his name up as a pro related to items people were discussing and mention his site. He doesn't have a problem here and it is within the review section of copyright laws I am within my rights. (I am not selling or using his material to make a profit or to take a profit away from him.) I am encouraging others who want overnight delivery and want a pro's service to seek out those persons who cater to magicians.

These pictures were deleted but the links were still there. If a copyright rule is in order, justification for deleting pictures, then so should all links to other pages.

Any web designer knows it is improper to link to a page without the page designers permission, and I do know you this.

I am puzzeled in that you follow some rules but allow others equally legally damaging to continue. I linked to a page once and I had that page owners lawyers tell me I was not given permission to link, (It gave the impression there was a relationship with my business and theirs) so what you are doing is equally wrong. You delete pictures, but not the links. I also know the rule related to graphics. If I change a gif to a jpg and resize it, it isn't the origonal picture and I can use it. Most of the major graphic books with millions of graphics are done in the same or similar manner.

You profess to want to help others but when I do, I get edited. You want to follow some rules but not others. What gives?
Dennis Michael
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
The links to the images were removed because Denny and Lees bandwidth was being used to display them. In this instance, the page links were left intact so that interested parties might click on them and see the pictures and information. The image links were removed because you are not the owner of the Denny and Lees website, and therefore, not the one paying for the bandwidth. Copyright infringement wasn't the issue here.

We have no way of knowing (and quite honestly, not enough hours in the day to find out) if a member here has permission to hotlink to another's images on their website.

As a matter of policy, we remove links to pictures whenever it is clear that the person posting the link does not own/operate the website from which the images are being called.

You have my apologies, Dennis, for not PM'ing you about the edit. I should have done that, and got sidetracked and forgot.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Your answere is reasonable and appriciated.

Is it OK if I have those pictures (Bunnies) and other pictures on one of my many websites and link to that?
Dennis Michael
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
That would be fine, since there's no bandwidth issue - and if it's clear the site the picture comes from is owned or operated by you (or by the person posting it, whatever the case). I have many sites too, and if I was to link to an image on one of my sites, it wouldn't be an easy thing for many people here to tell if it was mine or not. That can be a problem sometimes, and if it happens that an image link is deleted, then it's probably a case of the person deleting it not being able to tell it's the owner of the site that posted it. It's all a judgement call, and with that there's always the chance one person thinks one way and another person thinks differently. That's natural. It's nothing against you or anybody else who does it though, it's simply to keep the Café from being accused of bandwidth theft, a thing which some site owners are very picky about (probably because they only get so much to begin with).
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I do understand your post. I too, have a limit on my bandwidth usage, which has never reached because of the large amount of space I purchased.

In my case I have numerous domains which are mine or one of my clients. I could easily set up a Café directory and place images there. This way I know if any images deleted in that directory, it would have an effect on where it was posted here on this site. A search could locate it and I could easily corret that error.

You can tell the images are mine because it will be under "www.magic-magic.com/cafeimages/" Thank You for your time and consideration in this matter.
Dennis Michael
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Generally speaking, if the link to the image is from the website listed as the members website in their profile, we leave it alone. If it's from some other site, the moderators report it to me, and I do a whois lookup to see if that member posting the image owns the domain where the image resides. If they don't, I will err on the side of caution, and remove the image link.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Deleted Graphics (Bunnies) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL