The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » "Pool Shark" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Ah the fun of a "tipsy" audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYEkKF727Y
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Now that's what I call thinking outside the box with a "ID"
Great routine and your audience obviously LOVED it.
Thanks for posting!!!
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
I saw jb benn do it, he must have used a marked deck and a IDeck cos he only turned both cards over at the end, this gets as much reaction so it doesn't really make much of difference
Mostly Harmless ^_^
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I will have to remember my id next time I head out for a night of fun.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
You could do the same with a "BrainWave" deck, no?

JIM
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Thanks for the comments guys! I didn't know JB Benn had a similar routine, I'll have to check it out as well.

You could do the same with a Brainwave but I prefer to have the card out face down before I turn it over. It a more instantanious moment.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Chris, very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

JIM
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Chris,
Great video. Clever twist.

Great job.

~John
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
First of all great video. I can tell they loved it.

I'm just curious. This routine isn't on the market or anything is it? I just wonder because I made a post about doing the exact same trick here on the Café about 2 years ago. You can check it out here (11th post down on that page). It's no big deal really but I was just wondering about it.

It's a great routine to do because it really gathers people around. When they see a group standing around a pool table other people tend to come see what's going on.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
It's not on the market that I know of but apparently JB Benn also did something similar on TV. Personally it just came about when I acquired constant use of a pool table to mess around with.

Have you had much of an opportunity to perform it? I'm open brainstorming and seeing what other variations we can come up with as well!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, I perform it quite often actually. Usually is the same kind of setting you did in the video (Out at a bar with some friends). One time another magician friend was with me. In this bar there was a chalk board on the wall where people write there names to have their turn to play pool. Before I performed it I asked my friends to write the persons name who selected the card, the color of the ball they selected and the name of the card the ball lands on. With the crowd around no one was paying attention to him writing on the board. So after they react I walk over and stand in front of the chalk board. Then show them the predication on the board. So it's an added whammy.

Give it a try sometime. At least in my area a lot of bars have a board on the wall near the pool table. If not you could always have it on a piece of paper or something. Oh, I just had an idea. Have the friend write it on the pool stick they used to shoot with. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Did you have to 'force' the pool table?
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
There is no force of the table.

It would be wild if one were to show all the other cards spread about the table to be blank...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
That would be good. I can think of a couple of ways to do it but they have limitations.

For example you could gather all the cards up then fan them. A deck switch could be done then (The method used in the trick "Blizzard" comes to mind). Or all the cards spread on the table could be blank and when you turn the selected card over a switch would have to be made. I'm sure more detail could be worked out to make a cleaner and more deceptive presentation.

Ron Jaxon

Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
This routine was originated by Eddie Fields right after he created the Invisible Deck 40 years or more ago.

Eddie was a professional pool "player" as well as magician. He and his partner also did a mindreading act and sold horoscopes. This routine along with other pool bits, magic and interviews was on the videotape about Eddie released in the 1980's.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6482 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks, Tom. This post is exactly what keeps my faith in magic and magicians.

However, thanks for sharing Chris; you blew them away- way to go.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I once performed the same Invisible Deck routine. I asked the spectator to think of a ball. He thought of the 12. When I broke, one ball went into the pocket. I noticed it was the 12 ball. When the spectator revealed which ball he was thinking of, I played it cool and told him to look in the far corner pocket. He and the rest of the crowd were amazed. I pocketed the one ball he was thinking of.

After the excitement had died down, I asked if anyone else had thought of a pool ball. A girl mentioned she was thinking of the 9, so we turned over the card closest to the 9 ball, and I proceeded with the original presentation. People talked about the pool table trick for days. The boy who thought of the 12 ball was especially freaked out. “Even if you knew what ball I was thinking of, you must have a pretty good shot to be able to pocket the one ball you need.”

I don't think that poor kid has slept since.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » "Pool Shark" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL