The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pro-Line Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good "pro-line" Zombie ball and gimmick?? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Slappy
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Viking Magic now carries a very good quality Zombie Ball.
I believe he imports them from Italy, wow!

It is correctly made (and few are these days)
Having a flange to attach the halves,
a deep collar to hold tightly without wobble,
and is a lightweight aluminum with a fine mirror polish.

Just toss out the “stand” that comes with, it’s pretty useless.
The gimmick is average.

The best gimmick I’ve used is the one Jim Sommers makes,
based upon the actual style Neil Foster used,
(you can reach him though Klamm Magic too)
I prefer to add a curve to this.

You may also do well to invest in Losander’s gimmick,
very novel, and very clever!

For a foulard contact P&A Silks,
but I’d go with a solid color and black backing.

Magically,
Walt
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
I already have a foulard that came with the zombie I have. I'm not sure what brand it is, but the darn thing always comes apart at the worst times. I've tried crazy glue, but no luck. The gimmick is heavy duty, but impossible to bend the coil tighter...so it fit's poorly on the finger, which causes the ball to fall and that invariably adds dents to the zombie, which I then have to "hammer" out...I'd love to find a better alternative. Thanks for the advice.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Walt,

I've been meaning to go take a look at that. I'm always on the look-out for really nice Zombie balls to add to my collection.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Slappy:

Check out: http://www.ronallesimagic.com/magic.php?page=17

This looks like the same outfit I have and I'm very happy with it. And it's only $25.00.

Jim
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Tips on the Zombie:

1. Buy TWO...I'm glad I did...one's dented, one's not! LOL!
2. Practice with a folded blanket on the floor (wish I'd taken that advice earlier).
3. Throw away the gimmick. Make your own. Coat hanger wire. Use a pair of pliars and a dowel. Make the coil at least 4 or 5 turns, and adjust to the finger you use. Don't worry about threading a black shoelace over it. Spray it flat black (Testor's), and touch it up once in a while.
4. (Optional) Paint the finger coil flesh color. This hides the gimmick better when showing the back side of the cloth. Works for me.

Hope this helps...anyone want to add anything?

Doug
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Thanks everyone, I ordered the Viking Zombie. I will post a breif review when it arrives.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Slappy,

We look forward to reading your review as soon as you've had a chance to try out this Viking product zombie ball.

Can anyone provide a link to an elegant looking silver zombie ball "without" a seam? I currently use the Morrissey, large size Zombie and am tempted to shift over to a smaller size ball. I realize that size is a personal choice, but believe that a 5 inch diameter ball is pleasant to the eye of many spectators, light weight enough for nimble manipulation and highly recommended by many in the know... is that right?

Has Rings n' Things launched there version yet?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I ended up ordering my Viking Ball from Morrissey and gimmick from Jim Sommers, based on Walt's sage advise and thoughtful recommendation.

I look forward to receiving these soon.

Thanks Walt!
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I recently found a Ring's n' Things Zombie ball and stand, made circa the early 1980's, in mint condition, for sale.

But I find the asking price of $150 US to be a bit steep (at least for my pocketbook).

Can any Café members in the know, tell me if they feel this particular ball is better in terms of look and functionality (ie. weight, size, etc.) than the current Viking ball imported form Italy?

The cost of the Viking Ball is $39 US and it looks great.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks to Walt's tips and advice, I will soon become the proud owner of a very professional (and functional) zombie gimmick, inspired by Neil Foster's design and made with the knowing hands (and mind) of Jim Sommers.

If anyone else wishes to secure this same item, you should call Magic Dealer Bob Klamm at at: 816-461-4595, or send him an e-mail at: klamm@klamm-magic.com If Bob does not have any of these custom-made gimmicks in stock, he will patiently take your order and promptly call his friend (and supplier of this special item), Jim Sommers.

Jim does not make these gimmicks on mass. Each zombie gimmick measures approx. 14 inches in length --the right length to hit the crook of most performer's arms when performing the ball on arm maneuver. The wonder feature of this gimmick is that it incorporates two tubes that serve as finger receptacles and allow for easy pick up of the gimmick and leveraging of the ball. There is also, I understand, a slight bend in the rod, reducing the odds of the gimmick inadvertently peeking above the foulard's edge during performance. Jim Sommers also takes the time to paint the finger tubes a flesh color, further camoflaging the gimmick from the audience.

When ordering, be sure to let Bob Klamm know if you are right handed or left handed when performing this effect, to that Jim can construct the gimmick accordingly.

Also, please note that all corks do not fit all zombie holes, therefore be prepared to make small adjustments in your cork. For example, I understand that the Sommers' cork is pretty standard in size, but Walt points out that it might require some slight "shaving" to fit into the smaller hole of Viking's Zombie Ball. If necessary, Jim Sommers recommends shaving the cork very carefully, using a very thin blade (ie. razor blade). Then repainting the cork with a black semi-matte (lacquer type).

Hope the above proves helpful.

Thanks again Walt for sharing your extensive knowledge on the zombie and resources.

Happy Zombieing!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
My Zombie gimmack instead of having a wire wound for one finger it is made of flat metal that goes around two fingers.like slipping your fingers in a "C" holder form that gives you great holding power and proper handling.it is also flesh colored.I don't know who made it.

Hope this helps,
Mark
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Mark,

I know that Jim Sommers also makes the type of grip you describe. I believe he paints the wrapped "C" metal holder flesh color as well, but if you order one, be sure to verify.

When I spoke to Jim, he explained that both "grips" are good, but he prefers the two tube grip. I decidedto go with that. I believe it should work well.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
Jonathan,
Hope you have very good luck with your zombie! I also like your web site,nice.

Mark
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Does any one know if there is a larger zombie ball then the regular size?
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Morrissey sell 5 inch. Haven't received by Viking Zombie yet Mark... and you? What ball do you use?
Jonathan
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I had one of the large morrissey balls and called it the " finger breaker" I abandoned it and converted a very light weight Don Wayne Ball into a Zombie. It looks much better than the dull aluminum look of the morrisey ball . You can see it here .. http://www.timothydrake.ca/fball.mpg

Best,

Tim
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Tim,

In my experience, if the gimmick provides the "right" support for the fingers, it does not become a finger breaker, even with a 5 inch morrissey ball. Thus, even with the "old" aluminum balls, the experience can be mutually enjoyable --for both the audience and the performer. Perhaps it is a question of attitude.

I have used lightweight balls in the past (ie. Astrosphere) and found them "too" light weight and flimsy in comparison.

There are pros and cons for both. And this is the place to psot them.

Thanks for providing your link.

It was a pleasure to watch your performance.

Keep up the great work.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Jonathan,

Thanks for you nice comments. I think it was a limited 7 or 8 inch ball that morrissey introduced for a while that I used and called " finger breaker" . I don't know what ever happened to it but I think they no longer carry it.

Best,

Tim
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmm... a 7 or 8 inch Morrissey aluminum ball... I can understand that fingers might be broken!

For myseld, I have used a 5 inch ball for years (and years) but plan to swithc over to Viking's 4 inch ball (importated from Italy) very soon.

Best regards Tim.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pro-Line Zombie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL