The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cool Music for Bizarre Performances (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Want to hear some PERFECT music for Bizarre performaces? If you can find "Bydlo" by Tomita from his "Pictures at an Exhibition" album, give it a listen..I think you'll like it. I'm listening to it right now on my media player. Great stuff. OLD, but never the less, GREAT!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I like anything from the hustle and flow sound track.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hustle and flow?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410097/

I believe this is what Scott was refering to.

I am a big fan of Midnight Syndicate. They have quite a bit of music that can be used in a bizarre setting (that is what it is meant for!).
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
230 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Midnight Syndicate

Nox Arcana

Chant

Very good choices for setting the bizarre mood.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana, and Chant are all awesome.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Very cool stuff above!!
My modern suggestions are the following groups-
Fantomas
Black Tape for a Blue Girl
Rasputina

Classical-
Schuberts Trio in E flat minor (The trio played with Violin, Piano and Cello in The Hunger).
Can't get much more somber than that.

Gwyd
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Two words, Jill Tracy.

http://jilltracy.com/

Tony
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I am simply thrilled with Nox Arcana. That is some of the best spooky music and will be going into my new show - Thank you all who suggested them.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
"Precursor" by Nine Inch Nails...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Any Type O Negative. Bloody Kisses album is really good for this.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Tony, Jill Tracy. Two words...very cool.

Also:
Hauntingly beatiful music, over 800 yrs old. Vision, the music of Hildegard Von Bingen. http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Catherine-King/dp/B000002SL6

And,
Gollum's Song (Performed By Emiliana Torrini) http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1039455245
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Great Music would be Infected Mushroom. They have a completely different style. Trancy type effect mixed with all jenre's. Industrial, Gothic, You name it. Definately worth getting. Another one that I stumbled onto the other day would be "Die Form". Great Music too. Nox Arcana is great but a bit slow for my liking and does not have enough climaxes for my shows.
Type O Negative has some good stuff too. If you like the Heavier stuff.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
These are also just great for listening too. Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Just to be a goof - it all depends on the type of bizarre magic you will do - some effects should have no magic.... I usually use music as a prelude to the act, transition help between effects, and an ending bit. I actually use a heck of a lot of soundtracks - often the unsung heroes of music are film composers - e.g. Bernard Herrmann (e.g. Vertigo, Day the Earth Stood Still (Gort!), etc), Jerry Goldsmith (Alien, Planet of the Apes, the Omen... so much gold!), Ennio Morricone (besides the westerns, he has done tons of other genres (the only good thing about Exorcist II was his music which was wonderfully creepy - he also has the Dario Argento series...)... then let us not miss the Goblins (Suspiria!)...heck, my entire music collection is 95% soundtracks.

As for specific type of effects - quantum magic - the theme music to Pi...
Time travel evil machines - Terminator... creepy spirit stuff - Tubular Bells from Exorcist I... etc etc....

Let us not miss TV themes as well - in fact, I have been constructing my Twilight Zone Night Gallery act - dodedoodoo dodedoodoo

The reason I personally don't use music during an effect is that I can't seem to shake the feeling I'm making it feel too theatrical - I mean all magic is theatrical - but you don't want to blend into the background.. I always think of stage illusions vs. bizarre magic with music (yeah there is overlap)...

In films, music is used to help evoke emotions. For simulation purposes, it is something I am toying around it for that - but for magic... its really really tricky.

Also, music is very personal... music to the early Godzilla films I love - not sure how a general audience might like it (although I am hoping someday to have a Godzilla effect to do... Smile)

(As for non film / TV composers - I still like individual groups - but I stumble across them via soundtracks e.g. the soundtrack to LOST HIGHWAY - Ramstein, NIN, Baldemati (Lynch's #1 guy), etc....)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
You might want to investigate DEAD CAN DANCE especially their older stuff. One of my favorites.
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Specifically the album "AION" by DEAD CAN DANCE. You might also want to check out Carmina Burana.
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
La dance macabre by camille saint saens is a really catchy song too (played in a ghosthouse in themepark Efteling, Holland).
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok - for classical too then: Night on Bald Mountain, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, the Mephisto Waltz, Holst's planets Mars and Uranus,... etc (yeah, I did say soundtracks were 95% - these are some of the 5%)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
My music is used widely in my Escapes to create suspense and tension in the spectators. It works WELL.

Rammestein is Good too.

Most of my music is instrumental. That is why I go more for the ones that I listed here. They are more beaty and instrumental.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cool Music for Bizarre Performances (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL