The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Types of Magic Appropriate for Restaurants? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I would like to know from y'all what kind of magic is most appropriate for a restaurant table-hopping situation...??? Cards? Coins? Others? Please let me know! And if you can... please, maybe include some routines you do that fit under those categories.
Thanks a bunch guys!

Andrew Miller
(RegalFan)
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
You really do not need a lot of material to do restaurant work. I recommend doing a few (2 or 3) good card tricks, 2 or 3 coin tricks, and a good rope trick, also it is important to do a trick which leaves the audience with your business card in their hands.

Corey B.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I don't think you need a lot of material. I think you need polished material. I carried on me tonight table hopping....

1 Jumbo Coin
4 Halves With Turtle Back
Deck Of Cards With Sharpie and Card To Wallet
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Don't forget the kids. They like sponge tricks, They like silk tricks. You can use a TT or a silk die tube. Another good kid trick is "Glorpy"/"Hyrum." If it is a family restaurant the manager would like to see you go to the kids also. It will show you are more professional and flexible.

Some managers give me permission to do "Card on the Ceiling." Spectators love that one because when they come back, they can see their signed card still on the ceiling.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
As far as kids go. They love all kinds of magic, but cards can be too much for them to understand. What they love is the (this is not to be a mean comment) attention. I feel kids do not get enogh attention in everyday situations. So I will start with them, produce some coins from their sleeves, elbows, ears, etc. I will also do the rings and have them hold a ring or two. If you do not want to carry sponges, do a coins across with the last coin appearing in their hand. It is almost as good, if not better.

Corey B.

P.S. Card on ceiling is a GREAT trick.
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
"I like using lighters around kids. Especially when you wrap their heads with flash paper." - Jay Sankey

I would do a few, not too long, card routines involving spectators. (You always gotta involve the spectators.) Coin production, then right into a 3 fly, then vanish all but 1 coin and turn it into a jumbo.

Then when it comes to non card/coin magic. I do things that are very, very extremely visual as possible. Paul Harris' night shades, David Harkeys 8 ball production, Gypsy thread,.... etc, etc...

Effects that just looks like "REAL MAGIC," not just a funny move or special prop.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I don't do any magic for kids.. when I do resturants.. I completely will almost ignore the children... now... I know a bunch of people will comment now and say how wrong this is... but I do NOT do children's close-up magic. lol....
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Hehe hehe. I actually just don't like little kids most of the time. I will maybe do one trick with the kid to satisfy the parents, but other than that, I will ignore them as well. lol... I am cruel!

-Andrew
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
RegalFan writes: "I will maybe do one trick with the kid to satisfy the parents, but other than that, I will ignore them . . ."

I assume you are joking; at least, I HOPE you are joking, or you had better plan on a very short career as a restaurant magician!

Performing tableside does not give you any freedom to pick and choose who you will perform for; if the table is there, you will perform for everyone at it -- or get another job.

You don't need special material or special patter just because there are kids at the table. But you MUST include them in the show; sure, they aren't going to do anything but the parents are going to pick up on your ignoring their children and they are going to be most unhappy.
And eventually, some of that is going to get back to the managment.
And do I have to tell you what happens then?

Consider the big difference between an amateur and a professional:

An amateur performs when he wants to; a professional performs when he has to.
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
When I was younger and went to restaurants and I saw the uncontrollable little kids running around, I used to get annoyed and would say, "When I have kids, they won't be like that."

Fortunately for me, my daughter isn't like that, BUT she is a handful, and she can be difficult at restaurants some times. My daughter loves two tricks of mine, appearing and disappearing silks and cups and balls.

So I carry a silk and a TT with me and when she gets too unruly, I start making it appear and disappear. Based on that, my philosophy is, that you need to keep the kids occupied, because usually, when people are out with young children, it means that they are tired and didn't want to cook. So if you can occupy their child for even 5 minutes with some magic tricks, you will MAKE their day.

In short, kids in general don't get enough attention today. Don't ignore them, for one day, they will be choosing or regulating your retirement home.
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"Performing tableside does not give you any freedom to pick and choose who you will perform for; if the table is there, you will perform for everyone at it -- or get another job."

No, but you do have the option of picking who at the table you wish to assist. And you may pick a restaurant to work in on an evening where you don't get many kids.

I would think the people here weren't truly talking about really ignoring the kids Peter, just not specifically working to them.

But back to the original question, there have been several threads along these lines if you do a search, but good advice is always to buy a few books on restaurant magic and read up on it, they usually have tricks in them that really have been used by people in restaurant work rather than suggestions from people that may not have!

re;
"In short, kids in general don't get enough attention today. Don't ignore them, for one day, they will be choosing or regulating your retirement home."

Too late! The kids that will be regulating OUR retirement homes are already psychotic.
:) This advice should be given parents not magicians. Unknown adults should NOT be paying more attention to children.

Paul.
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Paul:
If you read Bens post up there it says and I quote;

"I don't do any magic for kids.. when I do resturants.. I completely will almost ignore the children.... but I do NOT do children's close-up magic, lol...."

That is pretty harsh, maybe he's not a
"children person"...

I don't mind doing magic for kids, I have a few routines I do for them that makes them happy, sponge balls, sponge rabbits, etc...
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Yes Peter...I was kidding! I do magic for the kids when I do perform. It is not my favorite thing, but it makes the parents happy.

-Andrew
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1654 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Ben,
I don't know how you avoid doing magic for kids. I see them all the time in the restaurant and they are usually the biggest fans of magic.

I love working for the kids. I grant you that some can be a pain, but I have the patience of a saint and they don't bother me. The kids will though, give you the best reactions. I love seeing their faces light up with genuine amazement and wonder when they see a simple vanish or production.

And the parents love it that I am entertaining their children and keeping them occupied. I've gotten some great tips for very appreciative parents for just that reason. I've also had parents come to and come back to, my restaurant specifically because their child wanted to see the magician.

It's certainly your choice to avoid them, but if I were you, I might reconsider...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

That can kind of be a problem if you want your magic to be more oriented toward the adults. I guess you could just perform at restaurants that have small amounts of children. I don't do kid magic or birthday parties... so I don't want to get the parents' hopes up!

-Andrew
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I think you must be prepared to perform magic for anyone, especially when working a restaurant. I prefer to perform for adults but I can perform a set geared towards children and also getting the adults involved. From my experience I find a lot of people saying "I wish my kids were here" when they find out I'm a magician before I even perform 1 effect. I hopefully change their mind after they see my set, and realize that everyone can enjoy magic. As a magician, I think it's a good idea to be versatile so you can perform for any type of audience, even if its just a few effects that you know is geared towards a specific audience.
Rich B.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
Andrew,

This is unsolicited, but Peter Marucci does offer a well-priced set of notes that deal specifically with Restaurant performances. I've just recently (yesterday) ordered that set plus a set of "bar magic" notes as well.

I can't review them as I have not received them yet, but I highly recommend that you contact Peter for more information!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
well.... here's the thing... most adults think... that magic is just for children.... So when I approach a table, I go after the kids then quickly turn my attention to the adults.... then, see if I can't change their minds... then I see who wants to interact... who is gonna be the FUN one.... then do my set.... playing to the fun one... but not ignoring anyone.... you can't go to a table and say... I'm gonna ignore the kids.... or just do magic for the adults... you have to see the challenges there... and overcome them.... then you will be successful... I tell ya what... it's easy, restaurant magic... they aren't going anywhere.... there are much more difficult places to perform... trust me...

koz
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Does anyone still use "Misled?" The second phase of the suggested routine is very strong, the pencil melting through the folded bill.
I learned an improved handling for it that really adds a lot. I'd give the guy credit for it if I remembered his name. Direct mail if interested.

Rick
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Big fan of a rope and ring routine here. Smile It packs pretty small...

regards
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Types of Magic Appropriate for Restaurants? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL