We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Invisible Dove Harness too small... (Help) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys,

I just got my Tony Clark IDH in the mail today, and had my sisters help me put the harness on my dove, Jack.. I followed the instructions, but it was only able to be v****oed a little bit, and Tony said in the instructions it should fit comfortably, not tight.. It didn't look like Jack was too comfortable.. I allowed him to fly with it on, and he was flipping out.. It also looked too tight on him b/c it pulling in on him, and you could see the spots it was pulling in judging by his other feathers...

Well, it's a definite bummer that I had to spend that money on something I'm not going to get any use of, but whats done is done...

Would anyone have any info on harnesses that are bigger than Clarks harness (maybe Amyx's?) and one that would fit my Jack? Or maybe how to make your own?

Thanks guys,
-Vinnie
trixsntracks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of trixsntracks
Hi vinnie, don't worry too much about your bird flipping out when you 1st put the harness on it will take a while for your bird to get used to the extra weight!, also the harness will eventuallywork it's way under it feathers so no spots should be seen. you will have to keep adjusing the harness over time it need to be snug but not overly tight if the bird looks like it's struggling to breath loosen the harness, I have used dove harness for over 10 years (i make my own to my specs) good luck.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Trixntracks,

I understand where you are coming from, but to tell you the truth, after I put the harness on, I tossed him up a little bit, over my bed, and he kind of just fell.. Didn't even try to flap his wings; and I made sure his fings weren't caught up in the harness.. Then he started flapping a bit, and breathing heavily. And if I loosened it anymore, it would be undone..

Thanks for your help, though!
-Vinnie
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
About 50% of the doves that I put a harness on do that the first time. For a bird that's never had one on, it can be a scary thing. Just make sure that you supervise the dove until it's comfortble with the harness. From the sounds of it, he's breathing heavy just because he's scared.

Having worked with Tony's harness for a couple years, I found that my bird's feet got caught in it too much. It may have just been for my particular production method... I did find a number of professional magicians that have but well over 2,500 shows on with that same harness, and not had problems.

Just allow Jack to have some time to get used to it. Obviously make sure it's not too tight, but Tony's measurments should be pretty close, as he's been doing this a long time.

Good luck.

Dave
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for the help, Dave! I may give it a shot in the days to come, after I get more feedback..

A question I've had about Tony's harness: I notice on the diagram that came on the instructions that the back end of the harness (part that the tailfeathers go through) is a little wider than the front that the head goes through... The harness however has both ends the same width apart.. Something doesn't add up here... =/

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, I don't use Tony's harness, ( I make my own) but if you drop him a note explaining the problem, he'll get back to you. You know he's a member and sponsor of the Café.

I had the same smallness problem with his one hand dove holder. My birds are a little larger than normal and the holder was just too small.
Where the magic begins
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
403 Posts

Profile of durgy
So I tried puttin on the IDH on my bird today, same problem. it just cant fly and it looks sooo uncomfortable. I dono if I'm just not putting it on right or what. Guess you're not alone

Durgy
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Durgy, did you manage to get it on your bird by yourself? It's a real difficult task to do b/c the wings get in the way so much; and not to mention you don't want to hurt the bird by going against the grain of the feathers and ruining them..

-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Never say never, but for a large variety of reasons I make a major effort to never use invisible dove harnesses anymore.

They are an excellent proven way to injure a dove. Nothing in my show is worth that.

Going from there, doves don't stay the same dimensions everyday. If you insist on using invisible harnesses, at lease start over everyday adjusting them to that specific dove. A half-inch really matters.

Mass produced dove harnesses have their own set of problems. One size does not fit all.

Doves deserve the same respect as any other living thing. Although they work cheap, their health and safety is the magicians' responsibility. Take it seriously.

I know I don't have the 15-20 minutes/bird to properly adjust invisible harnesses on six birds before each show. So I simply avoid invisible harnesses when time is short. I don't even think a magician audience knows the difference. To me the main use for an invisible harness is to produce a dove you can't trust outdoors. It is an effective anchor and a dead giveaway that your birds aren't trained and don't trust you.

Fact: when you see me produce a dove with nothing on him, there is indeed nothing on him. Try practice! It's time better spent.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Bob, I see where you are coming from..

But honestly, in my opinion, if I was a lay person, and I was at a magic show, and I had to judge between these 2 effects and which looked more magical (1.)The magician shows a silk, crumpling it up, and out comes a dove [or] (2.)The magician blows up a balloon, pops it, and a balloon is perched on his fingers, I would have to say that the second one fits the catagory of more magical..

I understand the ups and downs to using an IDH, but I believe it can look a lot stronger to an audience..

Just my $.02
-Vinnie
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Get a hold of 1906Alpha1906 here on the Café. He has IDH's that he sells that I found to be a bit larger than Tony Clarks (Although a different design) and work great.

I personally use Tony Clarks on one bird, and Alphas on another just for the reason you mentioned. I have one bird slightly larger than the other.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
But Vinnie,

I do both.

Only about half of my dove productions even use a silk.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Huhhh? How would you use a dove holder without a silk or newspaper, or some other prop for it to be disposed of once the dove is out?

-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You just don't always need a harness! Therefore, there is nothing to dispose of.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Ohh, yeah, I know, a s****e t***...

But, I still understand where your coming from..

Thanks,
-Vinnie
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
403 Posts

Profile of durgy
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 15:52, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Durgy, did you manage to get it on your bird by yourself? It's a real difficult task to do b/c the wings get in the way so much; and not to mention you don't want to hurt the bird by going against the grain of the feathers and ruining them..

-Vinnie

with a little help from brother I got it on. it definetely is difficult. even once it's on the bird kept trying to get out of it. I finally took it off cuz it looked like I was killing it or something. I didn't want to make it suffer. I might have to rethink this whole IDH idea.
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Guys, if you're going to use an IDH, then you need to make sure your birds are thoroughly trained enough to sit calmly on a table. You should be able to slip it over the head easily and wrap the rest of the harness around the dove. Of course it depends on which harness you have but the basic application is the same.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Invisible Dove Harness too small... (Help) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL