The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » problems with Hindu Thread magic trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
386 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Hello, I think that the Hindu Thread trick is a spectacular magic trick, since you broke and then restore the thread. BUT sometimes when I prepare the trick, when I go to the phase of restoration the thread interlace and ruins the whole illusion.

I hope that someone could give me any tips for this particular illusion.

Thanks!
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
If you are looking for any more material on this routine check out Gary Oullet's book and video set on the gypsy thread. It is easily worth the price. He talks about what kinds of thread to use as well as supplies you with thread that will glow under black light. Check it out.

Corey B.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Definetely the Gary Ouellets routine from Camirand Academy. It shows you how to prepare it so this "tangled up" situation does not happen.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
386 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Please share with me such tips!

Thanks
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Here are some tips:

1. Run the thread through some magicians wax to get a very light coating on the thread. It will help it stay together better.

2. Wrap the thread around you pinky, take it off, keeping the loops together. Fold in half, wrap the remaining string twice around it, fold in half again and repeat. The reason the thread will get tangled is too much wrapping of the thread. Do it just enough to hold the bundle together.

The Hindu/Gypsy thread routine I do is called Gypsy Floss and is done with dental floss. It is already waxed and makes it much easier to do.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you like doing close up, try Dragon Thread.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1487 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Rather then running the thread through wax, why don't you do the trick with dental floss? It's ALREADY waxed and acts as a natural adhesive to itself when you put it into a little ball. Not only that but you have an opportunity for some good lines and presentation.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
That's great advice...Smile Smile Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Kalix,
by any chance is the gypsy floss routine you do by Alex Mclittle. I know there are a number of guys using dental floss for the effect. Which do you use?
Rich B.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I first learned of the effect at a lecture given by Tom Jones and Rachael Wild. Tom came up with the idea himself but was predated in his invention by Lonnie Chevrie of Texas, who he credits in his lecture notes.

The routine I do is my own story (it's about my daughter first learning to use dental floss)done to the basic Gypsy Thread effect. The workings of the method with dental floss are just about the same as with any other method for performing the basic Gypsy Thread effect.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Kalix, I was asking because I purchased Gyspy Floss by Alex Mclittle which was supposed to allow you to repeat the effect up to 6 times in a row before reset. His method is not practical, and the gimmick to help achieve this broke after 2 minutes and the floss supplied did not stick together.

So is there a particular brand of waxed dental floss that will stick together to do this effect? Thanks in advance.

Rich B.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Kaliix: When using dental floss you cannot just snap it like regular thread can you ? I would not think so.. How do you deal with snapping it then ?

I watched eugene Burger and he used a small candle which added to his presentation.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Nicodemus,
The "set up" for gypsy thread using dental floss uses the floss case and also uses the case to snap or cut off the floss.
Rich B.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
As Rich B. stated, the container that the dental floss comes in has a built in cutter, which is what you use to cut the floss with.

The brand of floss recommended by Tom Jones (and the floss that I use) is Johnson and Johnson's Reach Mint Waxed dental floss. I have never had a problem with it.

I am trying to imagine how one could gimmick a floss container to repeat the effect six times? You say it's not practical eh?

For repeating the effect, I just carry four set up floss containers in my inner left jacket pocket. If you stack them two by two, they don't take up much room and when I use one, I just put it in my back pocket. It works for me.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
386 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
How did you set-up the dental floss?? Did you open the box or what?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Joao,
Who are you addressing???
~Daniel J. Boorstin
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
There is a similar trick in Kenton Kneppers "scocerer series" nice ideas there

regds
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
386 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
I am addressing to the persons which have mentioned the dental floss, including you. Smile

Regards
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The setup is just like the standard Gypsy Thread. I do open up the floss container to reel back in any extra thread. Just put the set up inside the top part of the container. I put mine right over the hole where the floss comes out. I tried putting it in the middle of the container but I had a hard time grabbing it when it was there. Putting it right over the hole makes it easier to grab.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Kalix,
Thanks for the info. I will try that brand of floss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » problems with Hindu Thread magic trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL