The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » What is ... The Best ESP Effect, ever? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
I'd be fascinated to hear what everyone thinks is the best ESP effect ever, using either ESP Cards, or electronic gizmo's or ... ?

I know Richard Osterlind and Max Maven have some excellent effects, and at the other end of the spectrum there are elctronic versions too.

I appreciate that 'best' is in the eye of the beholder, but what do others think ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
Richard osterlind has a nice routine called "esp test" wich is pretty cool.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
255 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I like Osterlind´ ESP stack. You can do miracles with it.
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
Looch's ESP matchup is the best, hands-down.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have spent several years working on this new one. It may be close to the best.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
The best I have seen: Osterlind's Viewed ESP Prediction. Great idea!
To believe is Magic.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 12:17, The Doctor wrote:

I have to agree that this is a fantastic routine.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 13:10, salsa_dancer wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree that this is a fantastic routine.

Wow thank you, I am obviously biased but its one of my personal favourites. Smile Oh, and I suggest "jazz mentalism", this is another great one!!!
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Best ESP Trick -- understanding the opposite sex.

Best PERFORMANCE ESP Trick - or best principle? One ahead mixed with 10/11 count has some awesome variations.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I bought a cool one from Astor Magic at the Blackpool convention this year. A Derren Brown type one where the cards are slid into a frame. Beautiful! AND - you can repeat it immediately for the same person with a different result.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
How's this for a dream ESP effect? Test condition ESP for the stage or parlour: The mage presents a set of 5 ESP cards to the audience and an explanation is given as to their origin and uses. A drawing pad, which has hastily drawn duplicates of the 5 symbols on it, is given to a participant sitting in the audience. The mage turns his back while the participant concentrates on any one of the symbols and jots a number “1” beside it on the pad. The mage removes one of the ESP cards he is holding and places it face down on a table in front of a second participant to supervise. This is repeated for all 5 symbols with the participant who has the pad numbering symbols as to the order they are thought of and the mage placing a card in a line on the table. The mage retreats to the opposite side of the stage from the table. The participant with the pad now calls out the symbols in the order he thought of them in. As the first symbol is named, the second participant turns over the first card on the table; they match. They all match. There are no stooges. Should be released in the new year, I hope!

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A most impressive effect using ESP symbols is the John Shirley (he of the "balloon barrage" fame) creation called X-Paramental.

The spectator handles everything, does all the placement and does the final reveal (Prestige? Smile) where all five of the spectator's symbols and those of the mentalist match perfectly... no duplicates, no trick easel, no one ahead, no Symbologic-type handling, no rough/smooth, no df cards, no stacks, no switches, no electronics etc.

This may be performed close-up (ala Harry Blackstone Jr.) or on the stage/platform.
It utilizes two sets of Jumbo ESP Cards and is clean as a whistle.

Many years ago this was available through Magic, Inc. in Chicago.

Julie
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
This one:

Performer shows two sets of cards with ESP symbols. Gives one set to spectator, keeps other set. Performer puts one card face down on table, spectator puts one face down across from it. Performer puts another one face down next to first one, and spectator does same. Repeat for rest of cards, forming two rows of five cards (no stacking). Performer or spectator can now turn over both rows, and all pairs match. If desired, individual pairs can also be shown to match in real time as you go.

Or it can be done with multiple spectators. Hand one set to a spec, keep other set for yourself. Pull out one card (face down) from your set, and have spec remove the one they think matches the one you took out (keeping it face down) from their set. Have them pass the rest of their set to the next spec as you hand them the one you removed, telling them not to look until the end. Repeat with three more specs, so only one card remains from each packet (and you keep that pair). On cue, all four specs and you turn over your pairs, and they all match.

A few people here know it, and more may eventually...

(This is my favorite, though I admit I haven't yet seen Looch's, and the press it's been getting had got me very curious).
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Slim King just did an amazing ESP test on me ... that worked!

He's in the US, I'm in the UK.

Amazing, Slim King!

Piers Smile
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Have you seen ghostbusters?
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:

Can someone post a description of this and where it's available. I did a Café search and went to Looch's web site but couldn't find this.

-Wolfgang
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
It is called "Wake up Dr. Rhine" and it can be found in the "Simple and Direct" book (by Looch).

It is a three phase routine using ESP cards. Each face builds on the next and also increases in theatrical tension. It's a great routine. You can find it at Alakazam Magic and at Hocus-Pocus (and I am sure others)

Sean
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 17:52, Quinn wrote:
This one:

Performer shows two sets of cards with ESP symbols. Gives one set to spectator, keeps other set. Performer puts one card face down on table, spectator puts one face down across from it. Performer puts another one face down next to first one, and spectator does same. Repeat for rest of cards, forming two rows of five cards (no stacking). Performer or spectator can now turn over both rows, and all pairs match. If desired, individual pairs can also be shown to match in real time as you go.

Or it can be done with multiple spectators. Hand one set to a spec, keep other set for yourself. Pull out one card (face down) from your set, and have spec remove the one they think matches the one you took out (keeping it face down) from their set. Have them pass the rest of their set to the next spec as you hand them the one you removed, telling them not to look until the end. Repeat with three more specs, so only one card remains from each packet (and you keep that pair). On cue, all four specs and you turn over your pairs, and they all match.

A few people here know it, and more may eventually...

And now you got my interest... Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Quins an evil genius...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
A Special Thanks to Piers for starting this thread and motivating me to use my ESP Transatlantically. I am hoping it will soon be the very best ESP effect that's come along in a while.
One question to Piers. Have you come across anything by Max Maven, Banachek, or Osterlind, that is personally more powerful?
If so, what is it?
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » What is ... The Best ESP Effect, ever? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL