The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Can you shim paper money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Can you shim paper money (US) and be able to pass it out for inspection? I can't split it like a card, and the only other option is to glue 2 bills together, and you can't hand that out.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
What do you want to do? The US dollar bill is actually printed using some 'magnetic' ink, so you can make it flutter and move a bit with a strong neodymium magnet. Try it! It's not strong enough to be able to pick up a bill, though.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 15:59, airship wrote:
What do you want to do? The US dollar bill is actually printed using some 'magnetic' ink, so you can make it flutter and move a bit with a strong neodymium magnet. Try it! It's not strong enough to be able to pick up a bill, though.

...Who knew?
That's very cool.
As far as shimming a dollar bill and being able to hand it out, it's not likely. People are very used to handling dollar bills, so they're likely to notice the presence of a shim material inside it.

Your best bet would be to take some shim wire and put it in the very edge of the bill.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Yes in a way you can. Take a dollar and carefully cut out one of the circles on the back where the pyramid or eagle is.

Take another dollar bill and place a small neo magnet or small piece shim metal on the pyramid (if that's the side your using) and glue the cut out piece over the matching circle.

It;s like an optical illusion now, they will not be able to see the gaff at all. It blends in perfectly. Of course they cannot handle the bill.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 15:59, airship wrote:

Doesn't work with my Blacks Ring, I'll try a stronger magnet.
I'm playing with a way to borrow some bills and make them vanish or change. My idea is to use a shimmed dollar as a carrier, place the other bills in it, fold it, and use any number of ways/devices to make it dissapear. My original thought was how to switch bills without going to a pocket or lapping, and magnets are so useful.

Quote:
On 2006-10-23 17:22, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Yes in a way you can. Take a dollar and CAREFULLY cut out one of the circles on the back where the pyramid or eagle is.

Take another dollar bill and place a small neo magnet or small piece shim metal on the pyramid ( if that's the side your using ) and glue the cut out piece over the matching circle.

It;s like an optical illusion now, they will not be able to see the gaff at all. It blends in perfectly. Of course they cannot handle the bill.

Thanks! I was thinking about doing this around the border but the seals are much more practical, and easier! It is the perfect position for the pinching action I need.
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Hello tpax,

I don’t know if my ideas will solve your problem, but maybe they can be some sort of inspiration.

I once meet a guy with a medieval themed act, who used to sprinkle a little spot of black iron powder on his black working surface. When signed with the magic word iron, and accidentally placed on that spot, even a piece of parchment would cling to his wand of magnetic ore.

Easier than incorporating a magnetic device might be to adapt Richard Sander’s VisiBill to your needs - changing the dramatic transformation into a more casual one. If you want to avoid the use of suit pockets at all costs dispose the leftovers via topit.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about folding a bill and securing the fold with a paper clip?

Julie
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It all depends on what the effect is. Sometimes the bill does not have to be shimmed. Wanna explain the effect? For example if you want to do the "Penny to Dime," you can place a $2 bill on top of the penny. Place a M******* half dollar on top of the $2. Pick up $2 with the half still on top. It can finished off by having the spectators examine $2, penny and half dollar.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Tpax, my Black's ring has a definite, if subtle, effect on a dollar bill. You have to be VERY close to a spot printed with black ink, and the bill will move about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, max. Definitely, a 'did you feel that' mentalism move, not an earth-mover.

The circle shim described above should work well for what you want to do.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
How about Tony Clark's effect, "Coins To Cash"? His site is advertised here at the Café.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I shim and un-shim borrowed bills all the time right under the specs nose. I simply finger palm a very small neodymium magnet in each hand and as I fold up, or crumple, the bill I place one magnet on each side of the bill. Their mutual attraction wedges the bill in between very strong and you end up with a bill that is extremely sensitive to other magnets. Clean up is easy if you have a PK ring (I use Subterfuge) as you simply slide off the magnets and have them stick to your ring as you unfold the bill.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
GREAT idea, CS. I'm going to use that one myself!
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Thanks everyone for the great ideas. My thoughts are to try a thin metal disc, paint it flesh colored on one side and cut out and paste the eagle (or a small part of it) from a dollar on the other side. I'll try post it glue on the flesh colored side so there is some initial tack for the disc to stick to the dollar. I'll try a small magnet in the other hand. and it should be pretty easy to create a shimmed packet of borrowed dollars. I plan on using my black widow to switch packets. I can switch in gimmicked bills or do a prediction effect, any number of things.
Thanks again.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 13:03, airship wrote:
GREAT idea, CS. I'm going to use that one myself!

Thanks man; I live to serve Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
happymagic
View Profile
New user
Overland Park, KS
18 Posts

Profile of happymagic
Love this idea. Any hints on what bills have more magnetic ink? Or what spots to focus on?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Great ideas in this thread.
Airship I have used patter about magnetic ink in currency for years, who knew it was true!!??
CasualSoul, I love your idea as well, this thread is better than a cup of coffee to get my brain kick-started...
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Can you shim paper money? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL