The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Hat table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Hey everyone. I would like to make one of those tables where there is a hat at the top so basically you can drop any cards into it when you produce them. I already have a hat I would like to do this with. Any suggestions on how to make the base and the stand part and what to use to make it and how to attach it to the hat? thanks in advance.

durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
The really neat versions usually use a cane or walking stick for the stand, out of the bottom of which magically appears three tripod feet. - Not sure how this could be achieved easily!

But if I were looking to make something like what you describe, my first thoughts would be a music stand - they are not very robust, but probably perfectly adequate for what you have in mind. Depending on whatever fitting (if any) there is at the top of the stand, it looks like you will end up fitting a wooden disc inside the hat to take the end of it. Possibly just a hole partially drilled in the wood to take the end of the stand might suffice.
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I've used a cymbal stand for my side table for years. It cost me $30 and looks just like the table bases made by MAK.

Might also want to check out the plumbing section of your local Home Depot to find some hardware to fasten to the hat so it can screw on the base.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-10-24 11:35, threecardmonte wrote:
I've used a cymbal stand for my side table for years. It cost me $30 and looks just like the table bases...

There is a very good reason for that. Check out Hamilton Music stands at your local music store.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
To attach the hat you can use a couple really strong magnets that way you do not need to destroy the hat itself

Z
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Here's an idea- for your table leg, make a simple cane from a dowel. Have a metal tube at the bottom, and a magnet in a knob at the top. Your base will simply be a metal square with another tube welded on- it should fit snugly around the tube at the bottom of the cane. You insert the cane into the tube for the table's leg. (Put it at an angle for artistic preference.) As suggested by zimsalabim, the hat will attach to the cane via magnet.

It's not strong, but it will hold cards, and you can assemble it right on stage.

If you're on a raised platform, you could actually inset the tube into the platform, and insert the cane into that, which hides the attachment point from the audience.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Hat table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL