The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rare Delben Piece (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
I follow Delben products faithfully because Ben Stone, up to the time of his death, was a very dear friend of mine since I was 9 years old. (I am 34 now.) He taught me so much about magic, originality and inventing. Ben was a great man and mentor. He will always be near my heart.

My most cherished, yet humble, Delben piece was given to me a few years before Ben's death. Ben was proud to tell me it was the rarest of all Delben items. It doesn't have a name. Here are the photos. Can you guess what it's used for?

Ben mentioned that this was the only piece that did not have Delben's trademark finish. 10 gold stars go the the person who can tell me what it's used for. The card has nothing to do with it; its there just for perspective.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Never saw that one. I do have the very common Delben Blotter though. Great workmanship. So what is the effect of the one you have?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
I don't want to give away what it is yet. Here are some clues. It's a utility devise used for a coin trick found in Modern Coin Magic. It allows you to easily load the coin. Ben used this in his magic shop and gave it to me when I started selling magic at my shows.

It is nothing really glamorous. If no one else wants to play, I'll post the answer in a day or so.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It could be used to load a coin into dental dam or a rubber balloon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Or it could be used in "The Mint" routine by Johnson... (flatten the ball bearing)

Julie
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
Now that was just too fast Michael. You are correct. I was hoping to carry this out for a little bit longer. You have 10 gold stars coming to you. Congradulations!

The Mint? I'll have to look into that. Julie may have come up with a different use.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's an old dealer's trick of the trade. I learned it from my mentor years ago.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
I just checked out your site and thought it an interesting coincidence that you knew of this. I'm sure you are a Delben fan. Your products look great!
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
196 Posts

Profile of Hayre
OK - here is a Ben Stone story. Another area magician (VERY well known) had one of America's largest Die Box collection (now sold to Copperfield). However, he never bought one of Ben's boxes, although they were friends, and saw each other quite a bit. It drove Ben crazy...he mentioned it at every dealers show, or whenever the other magician was around. The other magician/collector NEVER bought a Ben Stone box. I think it was out of stubbornness, although he did once say that he didn't like the finish job on them. For those who knew Ben well, name the other magician. I'll only verify via PM.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 15:05, Hayre wrote:
I'll only verify via PM.

Why keep it a secret ?
Rennie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the kind words, Hagerman. I only have one Delben piece, the Blotter, but of the few other items Ben made that I have seen, I was impressed. Work like that has been what has inspired me to produce items I'd be proud to own myself. Sometimes I'm actually sad to part with certain pieces, but my family has convinced me it's a good thing to do! Smile

Hayre, I sent you a PM on the Die Box question.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-10-27 09:54, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
I'll only verify via PM.

Why keep it a secret ?
Rennie

So why not share it ??
Rennie
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
Hayre, I vaguely remember this story. I'm stumped.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I grew up watching him as well and loved hanging out in the shop. I only have a black off rope from Delben. I still have his sale sheets from the 80's and wish we had been able to buy more items at the time. Everytime something shows up on ebay I bid on it.
John Stone
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of John Stone
Since I just found this forum, I want to say HI to a lot of old friends of the Stone family. The reasopn I was hanging out is that I am going to take some photos tomorrow (if the light is right) of a Delben Die Box that has only been taken out of the box on one occasion. That was the day of my father's funeral, when many of the magicians came over to the house after the services. Photos will be on my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyeye/ probably sometime tomorrow late....

Best to all of you.

John (Jack) Stone
Very best from the Stone family to our many friends in magic.
John Stone
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of John Stone
You know, David -- the more I think about it ... I think you may have the only one in existence. As I recall, he made it just for you when you complained about having trouble resetting ....
John Stone
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of John Stone
Quote:
OK - here is a Ben Stone story. Another area magician (VERY well known) had one of America's largest Die Box collection (now sold to Copperfield). However, he never bought one of Ben's boxes, although they were friends, and saw each other quite a bit. It drove Ben crazy...he mentioned it at every dealers show, or whenever the other magician was around. The other magician/collector NEVER bought a Ben Stone box. I think it was out of stubbornness, although he did once say that he didn't like the finish job on them. For those who knew Ben well, name the other magician. I'll only verify via PM.

HAHAHA!!!! I know ... and you are right it drove him nuts. At one point he offered to GIVE it to him .... when he died dad bought most of his collection, and there are still osme parts of it left to me and my brother.... plus the books with his notes....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think I have some old rope gimmicks that are Delben.

Technology has passed them by.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
Hey Jack! Great to see you here. Who's David? Smile

I wish I can say he had made this for me but I cannot take credit. I believe he made this for his demonstrations when he was on Stewart. When I started pitching the best dam coin trick after my shows, I wished for a dam easy setup. He dug this out and signed the dam thing. In fact, that's the perfect name for it: it's a dam thing.

(When I was choosing tricks to sell, I picked the ones that worked on me. Thank you Ben.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rare Delben Piece (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL