The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove's Tail-Feathers Messed Up... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I decided to make a new topic, so that if someone searches for this problem, they can find it right away, without searching through a thread having to do with a dove holder.

Anyway, I have my Tony Clark Dove Holder, and I can put my dove in it fairly easy. My dove's tail feathers are NOT too big for the holder, but putting him in does mess the tail feathers up. I make sure his feathers are together when I load him in, but they are messing up for some reason.

Note: It's just the feathers that are being messed up; they are not breaking.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or can be eliminated or something?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
durgy
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto
390 Posts

Profile of durgy
Good question. I would like to know the answer to this as well

durgy
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi fellas..one way to eliminate the 'messed up' look is to trim a little off the end of the feathers. Listen carefully....I said TRIM, NOT CUT. The ends can be trimmed a little bit to make the bird look more groomed, but this will also eliminate a little of the messed up feathers. If you try to hold your dove a little closer to the back end instead of around the head area when placing them in, the feathers will be neater. Again, though, this takes a little time if your doves are not used to being placed in holders. They will struggle some because they are being confined to an smaller area. Over time this will stop because the dove will know that this is a safe place. Just takes some time. Instead of practicing in routines with them, it may be a good idea to practice loading them. Repetitveness is KEY here. Just as feeding them. They learn when they are going to be fed either by noise, or what you have in your hand, or how you approach. Same goes with loading. Hope this helps some. Personally, I don't use dove holders with an enclosed tail end. At one point I did, but then changed to a different style. (Vinnie, you'll see)

Anyhow - practice practice practice
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks a lot Tom! I appreciate it!! I'll start loading my little guy in and practice with that..

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20497 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vinnie,

Three different things I can think of could be the real problem.

1. Loading problems

2. Placement problems before production

and

3. The Dove moving forward and backward within the harness (Poor fit or nervous dove)

As close as I get to you (currently known) is April in Alexandria, VA and June in Bristol, VA. But I'll gladly show you some loading tricks that might help in either type harness. Just walk up and ask.

The poor fit problem can usually be adjusted out. (My new harnesses seldom have that problem.)

The nervous dove problem is one I handle by using the new dove as my back up bird. (The extra bird I always have in case one flies or something goes wrong to ruin the count in a vanish and reappearance of the doves. And sometimes he is just a surprise production backstage for visitors.) He gets harnessed and out on stage with me but won't likely get used. It gives him experience being harnessed and learning that he is perfectly safe. (Just as Tom said above.)

This is just another part of the "learning curve" from experience. You'll live right through it!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks a lot Bob! I'll take that into consideration...

Also, here's a video I made with the holder I'm using.. Clicky

Please tell me what you think in that thread.. =]

-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20497 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vinnie,

I left you a post there.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4950 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, I too left a post in that thread with a few suggestions.

As to loading your dove, as Alpha mentioned, try to hold the dove more toward the tail to keep it compressed as you load it. Open the holder as far as you can by almost turning it inside out. Slide the tail into it gently and fold the holder around it. If you have or can get a copy of Shimada's video on doves, take a look at his doves when they are produced. I'm sure you won't feel so bad about the way yours looks. That's not a criticism of Shimada. I would never think of doing so, just trying to make you feel a little better.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks Dave, although I didn't quite understand the last part about Shimadas productions... Should I have taken that as a good or bad thing? Haha..

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4950 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, what I meant was that if you watch the productions by Shimada, you'll see that the tails on his birds, in my opinion, are terrible. They are ragged, separated and not smooth looking. If you watch him load his doves, you'll see why.

It was a comparison between his birds and what you are describing with yours. I'm sure yours don't look that bad but noone seems to notice this when his birds are produced. So it was neither a good nor a bad thing.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Oh, ok, I got it now.. Thanks for clearing that up..

-Vinnie
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Have you guys seen the Vegas commercial where they show different scenes from Vegas, at one point they show Lance Burton producing a dove and I am sure WE are the only ones to notice this but, the bird looked a little ruffled and there were lots of feathers broken off and floating all around. Again, I think it's us who notices this, not the audience. However, in my close up kid's shows if even ONE stinkin feather hits the floor, every kid in the room is gonna tell you about it! I usually pick it up and hand it to one kid and tell them to plant it in their back yard to grow a magic bird.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Smoke & Mirrors,

Haha, that's funny about planting it.. Good one liner! =]

-Vinnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove's Tail-Feathers Messed Up... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL