The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Programmers out there...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicman101uk
View Profile
Regular user
Nuneaton, UK
146 Posts

Profile of Magicman101uk
Hi guys

I'm after a from for my bands website whereby people can give there name and e-mail address and submit to our e-mail address, where we can them add the to our mailing list. I just want two fields, name and email address and a submit button. Can anyone help me as its driving me mad!

Thanks

Paul
Anyone here believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand!

www.paul-humphreys.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
<form method="post" action="mailto:yourname@yoursite.com" enctype="text/plain">
<INPUT type="text" id="name">
<INPUT type="text" id="email">
<INPUT type="submit" value="Send">
</form>

Though to be done properly it should submit to a program which then adds it to a file or database which is then automatically used to create a mailing list.

Going through each submission via email and adding is time consuming and pointless, there are already solutions out there to automatically manage this so that once they enter their email its automatically on the mailing list.
Magicman101uk
View Profile
Regular user
Nuneaton, UK
146 Posts

Profile of Magicman101uk
Cheers for that Daegs. Are there any programs you would recommend? Quite new to all this really

Cheers

Paul
Anyone here believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand!

www.paul-humphreys.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
It would depend on the setup....

If using Linux, than S-List is a free mail list program and I'm sure there are others. Once you settle on an email program(for instance with Slist I can send something to "MyList@MyServer.com" and it will only accept emails from myself, and then it will forward it to everyone on the list, or you could simply send the emails directly from the server.

Once you pick it, you find out how it will accept the different list of emails(like an email on each line of a text file or whatever, and then write a simple program(I recommend Perl) to handle it.

Then form would then direct itself towards a .cgi program written in perl, which takes in the values and automatically appends them to the file and then calls the email list program to re-read the file and create the updated list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Programmers out there...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL