The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Brian Davis Gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Just wondered if anyone on here purchased on gaffs (ie feegee mermaid, etc...) from Brian Davis. What did you think of the quality, etc...

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I got 2 small mermaids form him off of ebay. They're great for the price! I used them in a blow off at a big show I did over the summer and they got a great response. Those 'with it' loved 'em and the others were amazed. I will say, though that the ones that I got measure 7" and 9". They're kind of small, but great looking. I am however, saving up for a Higley creation. Word is that those are the best!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
I saw two different gaffs of his recently, exhibited along with a Higley mermaid and a Frierson 2-headed chick.

His gaffs just don't compare. Now this was a standing exhibit, there was no showmanship involved beyond stories on display cards. But side-by-side with the real "Things"... they didn't wash.

I get the impression that Mr. Davis is learning his craft. The pros are Higley and others. They are worth your dime.

The Davis gaffs are all over ebay, a tad too much in the public eye for my tastes.

Tim
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I have a mermaid and a "bat boy" and am happy with them for the amount that I paid. I've used neither as single-o or blow-off. The Higleys I have are doing that job quite nicely and have made money every time I've taken them off the shelves and done a proper display for cash.

However, as a part of a larger collection, Brian's pieces are quite nice. The two Davis pieces have a place in our Experimentorium this season on the shelves with pieces by Doug Higley, Mark Frierson, Doug Oller, Chris Russell, David Lady, and a few by that guy Anonymous. It is quite a collection to have as a backdrop!

Chris
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I bought the best one I had seen after watching different ones for over a year. The one I got is the smallest he ever made at about 5 1/2" and it looks the best of any that I saw during that time. It was still 'mint' when I got it so I applied tiny bits of seaweed brought back from a beach trip and packed it in sand. after shaking it off and brushing it lighlty it had its authentic ocean "Patina" and smell. It went into one of those book boxes from Ross with the felt already in them and a thin ribbon holding it in place. When you open the book a big wiff of the ocean comes out. No sign yet. I need a new amp and I will cut a signboard with magic show on one side and fee gee on the other once I know how big it needs to be.

Just watch and wait. I looked at maybe 40 or so and this was the first that got a double take from me. Don't jump in till you are 100% sure. Book and Mer were under $30 and I still need a sign, but when not being used it fits on the bookshelf which is great.

Spend a year or more and maybe you get lucky,or it could be a couple years or just get one from Doug, and have a good one right away. Most all of the ones on ebay are not going to fool anyone. They just don't have 'it' if there is such a thing as 'it'.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks guys...appreciate the back up.

There are 'ITs' and there are its. Anybody can make an 'it'. Anybody can sell an 'it'. Any 'it' can sit on a shelf and be 'itty'. The difference has to be for OUR game the lack of availability to the general public. It's a MUST.

Paying your dues as a show gaffer is more than just making a truckload of 'its' and selling cheap to everybody in Times Square and hoping somebody will pay to see one on 42nd street.

Just something to consider.

I chose, as I've said before, to not own my own house or drive a Cadillac by selling on ebay. I could sell a lot of 'its' for sure. I take a hit by not doing so but the integrity of the game is more important to me. Hokey yeah but it just is. My showmen have to KNOW that their 'it' is unique and is a WORKING exhibit. I don't make collectables or shelf sitters...and I do not hold it against anyone who does. It's just I hope during any given day that the folks who plan to make a buck from showing, take in to consideration that my $350 Zibits pull in THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of $$ for the showman/woman...and with an important difference to the showman/woman...NO heat, no beefs and above all no refunds asked for or given to the show customer.

This is why I have so many repeat buyers. I could really use the $ from eBay...big time but it just can't happen and hope to hold the position as #1 and the Best Gaffs On Earth...I'd pick up a ton of new collectors but lose those that know better and deserve exclusivity and secrecy, to the extent I can offer it.

By all means, get a $20 doodad if you want to double or triple your money or have a cool little thing on the shelf or for a trick.

But if it's investing in a Grind Show prop...I can get you in touch with those who have multiplied their dollar spent on a Zibit by a THOUSAND percent...and more! There's a reason.

Thanks all for the support.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
That's it Doug. Finding a good gaff on ebay is like trying to find a good peice of wood at Home Depot. Its just not going to happen for people. Also I never knew you made the Mini Mers till today. After following Kens tour for a bit, you better believe, if I go full time its going to be the big full set. Right now I'm just an occasional user, at parties and with friends. ;-)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Man, I hear ya on the wood at HD! Pathetic. I used to make the exhibit boxes and have to distress the wood to look crappy. No more! It's so bad I stopped making the box items...wood here is usually WET and squishy...don't have time to mess with that.

Mini Mers...well...occasionally and just as a favor...my minis are really mini mini and really for show. I only have made a couple for special requests that brow beat me to make one for them. I have a sore forehead sometimes before I give in to certain things. Smile
Utah Showmen
View Profile
Regular user
Utah Showman
135 Posts

Profile of Utah Showmen
I've heard he is as prolific as Tate, he does makes a lot of stuff. I own one, it's a nice little nic-nak but nothing like Friersons for authenticity. Higleys makes some amazing gaffs as well.

I've owned Gaffs from Frierson, Higley, Tate, Cabana,and other Gaff artists. All of which can be exhibited and turn some good money. I wouldn't exhibit anything I've seen that Brain Davis has made. Not that they aren't nice, but not what I would feel good about using to frame a show around.

John
John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World

So Go In Now!
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
His work is definitely comparable to Tate's......a cool collectible, but not really usable in a current REAL show. I do predict that you will quadruple your money in 20 years for any that you buy from him though.....
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Are there links to any of the other Gaff makers?

I've not really heard of any of them.

I'm still saving for my Higley, although I did manage to get hold of one of his dark museums second hand which is awsome!

The monkey paw is like nothing I've ever seen.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I made a mistake above. I meant the Mini Mers are NOT for show. Unless you are doing a 'POCKET Grind". I've dome that. You have a small item either in a box or a velvet bag and you show it at bars or whereever you can turn a tip. hahaha. Works for me. Smile

Roz...PM me about that 2nd hand Dark Museum. Curious.
Utah Showmen
View Profile
Regular user
Utah Showman
135 Posts

Profile of Utah Showmen
Here's a few links to some gaff artists.

You can find many more, information and galleries by searching Sideshow World.

Enjoy.

John
Sideshow World

http://www.magicofchristopher.com/frierson/ Mark Frierson

http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Main_Exhibit_Hall.html Doug Higley

http://www.customcreaturetaxidermy.com/fantasy/fantasy.html Sarina Brewer

http://www.thefeejeemermaid.com/ Juan Cabana

http://www.carnycreations.com/ Ses Carny

http://www.sideshowworld.com/SSA-51.html Kevin Gerrone

http://www.fiendishcuriosities.com/ Orbax

http://www.sideshowworld.com/bighead.html Big Head Scott

http://www.sideshowworld.com/HTC.html Tate is no longer with us.
John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World

So Go In Now!
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I bought a 4 legged chick from Frierson a few years back. It's amazing. I don't do grind shows, mainly it's just for display in the home. I did a blow off with it and people are still talking about it. I suppose that if I get a Higley before the summer, I could do a small local grind.
BTW, for my blow off I got a cheap $20.00 collapsable cloth wardrobe. My wife painted it and we put a table and Christmas lights inside. It looked great. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll do it.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks for the info guys.

I've looked at them and they're really cool.

Doug I've pmed you.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There's a Tate on auction now, on the site we're not supposed to mention. It's value can't be more than historical. It's a pretty bad gaff.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2006-10-28 13:23, Doug Higley wrote:
I made a mistake above. I meant the Mini Mers are NOT for show. Unless you are doing a 'POCKET Grind". I've dome that. You have a small item either in a box or a velvet bag and you show it at bars or whereever you can turn a tip. hahaha. Works for me. Smile

I never heard that term, pocket grind before. It fits with the general idea, though. A time killer between doorway acts on the street, or a compact second table if your lucky enough to have some help that day. The book, I thought was a little better than the cigar/curio boxes because it takes a second look to see its a box. We always called those folks 'swampers' which referred to anyone that did the walk through, from selling stolen cartons of cigarettes, showing curios for money(fake human fingers or very small gaffs etc), and pitching slum (almost always Svengalis, watches and steak knives)without a pitch or spot that was paid for. These folks went to the people rather than calling them in for a show, which meant twice the rejection but no expenses. that's the term I was always around: swampers, and swamping. I like pocket grind better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Brian Davis Gaffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL