The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New to dove magic Please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
From what I see is that you think I'm getting way ahead of myself and knowing that I am not prepared yet.I think that I lead you to a misunderstanding with the text.What I was trying to do was to just link some items that I was planning to get.It just so happends petco had item detail and links so you can veiw it. But that was just for people to see. what I am planning to do is go to the petshop and I expect most of those links to be there. As for the dove part I don't think I'm ready to get one yet. I do think I'm a step closer but I don't expect to get one in the next month or so. I have veiw some books and tony clarks dvd's and many other sources to doves.And I know for a fact that this is what I plan to do. My serch is still not over. Im just listing the supplies and hoping if it is the right idea for it. TOny clark mentions these same idea's but on his dvd the cage was a little different from what I expected. I did do a serch around the petshops but most of their cages were like vitorian house -like cages.As for most of the items I plan to get at the pet store.One big reason I am planning to get these items so early was becasue they are on sale which I can get em for a lot cheaper then normal price so I can save a little.ANd the fact that I know that I'm going to carry through of this commitment. Im sorry if I frustrated you by my imcompitence or w/e it may be.in my point of veiw the things this adds up
Big sale + Free shipping + Discounts + Commitment=Big rush
This leads to the petco cage becasue the cages in the petshop was not what I desired and I checked a couple of peptshops that are the samething.This cage at petco is for parrots but it is roomy enough for doves and I like the idea of it having a perch on top of the cage where the dove can hang and rest yet its not in the cage.Im sorry if I lead you into a bit of unease with this post

one questions:IN tony clark's dvd he said put up black certains and a spot light for the dove.I was planning on when I get the dove to have it in my room. What I'm asking is that do I acullty need black certains.my walls are are white.If it is neccasary I can get the black certains without a problem.but I don't know about the spotlight

Thanks dave alpha and regan for the advice
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4950 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK, let's see if we can start over and get you on the right track. First of all, I don't know what pet shops you've looked in but everyone that I have ever been in has a large variety of cages suitable for doves. You could even try Wal-mart or target. Petsmart is a good source as well.

It isn't necessary to have a perch on top of the cage. Your doves won't sit there like a parrot does. You want to find a square or rectangular cage used for parakeets, canaries and other small birds. The cage needs to have two perches inside at different levels so the dove can move from one to another, getting excercise.

A cage protector is a must. They only cost a few bucks and you'll need a new one about every 6 weeks or so. This will protect them from mites, lice and other small insects.

Since you seem to be trying to save money, don't buy mite spray or powder. You most likely won't use it. You definetly need grit and of course dove or wild bird seed.

The vitamins you need are wheat germ and/or multiple vitamins for caged birds. You can get it for either food or water.

That's all you need to invest in now. Don't worry about finding a vet. You can look for one as time goes by but make sure it is an avian vet.

As for the black curtain, that can get expensive and it really isn't necessary. It's just a nice thing to have. I have used them but not for training. I set them up when I actually practice just to get the feel of a stage atmosphere. If you decide to go that way, you can get inexpensive black sheets to hang and the light can be something as simple as a regular lamp without a shade. I bought a sunlamp and put a regular bulb in it to simulate a spotlight. Again it's not necessary.

Once you get your dove, it will take about 6 weeks or more to train it providing you can spend time with it everyday. Above all, as mentioned before, do not buy your dove from a pet shop. Look for a breeder or another magician that will sell you one.

I know some of this is a repeat of what has been said but it consolidates all the advice into one post for easy reference.
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Thanks dave
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Cage question here:

I found a nice big cage that isn't too tall but a good 30" long. It's only day one in thier home but the pair of doves are eating, drinking and have taken to the natural wood branch perches I put in.

My question is the bottom. It has a grated cage bottom and tray for easy clean up. Being concerned that doves aren't like 'keets I put cardboard on the bottom so the can walk comfortably.

I'm wondering if the grated bottom really is bad as the cardboard is looking messy already. Or should I scrap the grate and just put some corn cob bedding in the bottom?

My winter project will be building the cote for outdoors, but even then I plan to keep them inside during the winter and want to make it as comfortable as possible.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4950 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gary, the wire grate is there so the droppings will fall through onto the bottom of the cage, both for easy cleanup and to keep them from walking aroung in it. All you have to do is get a wire or stiff brush and sweep the grate so the droppings don't accumulate. Most of it will drop through but some will not. Then when you actually clean the cage (frequently) you just wash down the grate as well. The wire grate won't hurt their feet at all.

As for the bottom itself, you can cover it with paper towel, litter, wood shavings (PINE not cedar. Cedar emits a toxic fume when their urine mixes with it)
That's makes the clean up so much easier.
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
If it so happends that I endup having two male doves. I know they will fight if they are in the same cage.But I saw this cage that is a whole cage but it is serparated in the middle by wires into two cages. the only thing between them is that wire. THe cage is roomy enough for them two,but I was wondering if they would still want to fight if there was only a middle wire fence serparating them. THey cant get to the other side but I'm preety sure they can start pecking at each other if they get close enough.but only their beaks would reach the other. I would like some suggestions if I should just get to separate cages instead
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4950 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As long as they are separated, you won't have a problem. They won't reach into the wire to peck at each other. There is no guarantee that they will fight even if they are in the same cage. It all depends on how much room they have in the cage. If there's enough room for each to have it's space, then they won't fight. They might peck at each other if they cross the territorial boundary but that probably won't happen often. When I had my aviary in the basement with 31 birds, half of them were males and they almost never fought. You probably won't know for sure if you have two males. There are topics in this forum about determining the sex of doves and basically you can't until one lays an egg or you have a vet give them a sex exam but that's pretty expensive.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New to dove magic Please help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL