The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Big Escape In Winnipeg, Oct. 31 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Just thought I would share this with the forum. Here is an article from the local paper:

World's Greatest Escape Artist Will Attempt a Death-defying Escape Encased in Wet Cement to Commemorate Houdini's Death on Halloween

Winnipeg, Canada Oct. 24, 2006: This Halloween will mark the 80th anniversary of the death of Harry Houdini. To commemorate this memorable day the "World's Greatest Escape Artist", Dean Gunnarson, will attempt a dangerous and death-defying escape.

On Oct. 31, 2006 at exactly 1:26 P.M. Gunnarson will be handcuffed with several pairs of police handcuffs. The handcuffs will then be chained and padlocked around his waist, entire body and even tightly around his neck. Dean will then be placed upright into a standing Plexiglas tomb and the lid will then be locked with 6 maximum security padlocks. Gunnarson will then add an element of danger that has Never Been Attempted!

Two Tons of Wet Cement will then be poured into the clear tomb on top of Gunnarson until he is totally encased in this concrete prison. Dean will have to escape before he is crushed and suffocated by the sheer weight of the cement he is encased in. This escape has never been attempted by anyone, anywhere in the world!!! Not even by the Great Houdini himself. This escape will be attempted with NO curtains or anything else that will try to conceal his attempt to escape. You will witness the entire life and death struggle by Gunnarson as he tries to free himself. This is not a magic trick or an illusion. All the handcuffs, chains, and locks are genuine.

Date: October 31, 2006 Halloween

Time: 1:00 pm: Gunnarson gets locked up.

1:26 pm exactly: Escape attempt begins

Location: 100 Cole Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba (Near Nairn Bridge over pass) In the Parking compound of Two Small Men With Big Hearts Moving Company
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
http://www.eventsedge.com/DeanGunnarson.html

here is some more info on the performer. I have never heard of him until today.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I like these ones with the cement truck because you know they have never been fully rehearsed.

One thing to note is tensile strength of plastics should be estimated at 30-40% less than stated on the data sheet to allow for inconsistancy in procedure or mix between batches. If ever in doubt move up to a better material.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Aggieman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where the h*ll have you been????????????????
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Quote:
On 2006-10-27 13:51, KingStardog wrote:
I like these ones with the cement truck because you know they have never been fully rehearsed.

One thing to note is tensile strength of plastics should be estimated at 30-40% less than stated on the data sheet to allow for inconsistancy in procedure or mix between batches. If ever in doubt move up to a better material.

I have seen a guy using concrete /cemment and a plastic coffin. and another guy was injured. here is the video:

bad link woops.
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Quote:
On 2006-10-27 13:54, Richard Sherry wrote:
Aggieman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where the h*ll have you been????????????????

I havent been escapes as long as many of you.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We watched a nice film of Bill Shirk's buried alive at the EA convention. Bill's Coffin was not up to the job, and he had to be rescued with a backhoe.

In Dean's case, if his plastic cracks, it makes a big mess, but would be to his favor safety wise.

I think is a cool idea, and I am sorry I can't fly up to see it.

Rock on Dean!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Here is a link to Deans site, check it out. I just learned a few new things about my own home town by looking at it.

http://www.alwaysescaping.com/
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Oh its going to crush alright. Did anyone see mythbusters and the steel coffin? It started squeezing down slowly about 45 minutes after the dirt went on and they bought the expensive steel one to measure how long you could breath after being buried, not if it would crush.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Like I mentioned I have seen a guy die performing this exact stunt. it crushed in, and there werent able to get him out in time.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
The plexiglass coffin/concrete escape was done last year over here in the UK ON LIVE TV by Jonathan Goodwin. He was cuffed with cable ties, then in a big plastic bag with all the air sucked out, then in the coffin which was at the bottom of a pit. A camera was inside the coffin with him. The concrete was poured into the pit until it covered the coffin. He had to escape the ties, get out of the bag, and then release the locking devices on the inside of the coffin to let the concrete pour in. He then had to "swim" to the surface.

We saw the struggle from the inside camera, which eventually got covered in the concrete. On the surface we waited, and it was a long time. Remember, LIVE TV!

He eventally got out and had to be hosed down to remove the drying concrete.

A good exciting escape...just how they should be!
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
That's great, one of the few ones that survive. I just hope Dean, and I am sure he has, tested the box for pressure. It was be a sad thing to lose a great ea.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Cement.....Concrete....I'll bite my tongue here! Those of you that know me know why!! Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
I like the idea, but it's really not as original as he is claiming it to be. Many people have heard of the guy in California who tried doing this, and ended up dying (I believe Criss Angel talked about it during his Buried Alive stunt, I also remember Banachek talking about it, I believe in one of his PSI videos). I hope he survives though.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Sounds new to me, I have never heard of anyone having the container itself filled with concrete.

The others, Bill Shirk, Joe burris (sp)? etc had the cement poured on the OUTSIDE of the container.

I am confident Mr. Gunnarson will make it out alive.

Best of luck Dean!
Tony Chapparo
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
FILLING THE CONTAINER WITH CEMENT IS NEW TO ME!!!!

Wow!!!!..... Dean's a fellow Canadian and I wish him the best of luck on this escape.

Good luck Dean!!! I wish could come out there to cheer you on. I'll definitely be routing for you.

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Huh, I guess I read it wrong, it sounded like it would be outside. Inside is new as far as I know. Look forward to seeing how it goes.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
The way I understand it, there will be two separate departments one where he will be locked in (the casket) then the cement will be poured in on top of that. I could be mistaken as I'm not in the know on his projects. I will be there and I will let everyone know what the set up was and how it turned out.
marchache
View Profile
New user
Canada
4 Posts

Profile of marchache
You can catch a live audio broadcast of the event here:
http://www.cafe100fm.com/index.asp?CP=Menu_1

Click on "Listen Live"
Marc
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
I am taping this as I write. I think he is filling his WTC with cement!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY COOL!!!! Go Dean Go!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Big Escape In Winnipeg, Oct. 31 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL