The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » This deck feels light! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1697 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Sodman,

Usually a mitt-man steals a card on one round to be introduced in another round. It's that "in-between" time that is dangerous, because if the deck is counted (whether by man or machine) while he's holding out he'll have to ditch the card somewhere.

That said, there are ways (at least in theory), to swap cards with someone sitting next to you, or even across the table from you in an effort to construct a better hand. This is perhaps more aptly called "switching", but it's in the same ballpark as mucking in terms of what it accomplishes.

In these cases, the deck always contains the proper number of cards if and when they're counted, so it's a bit safer from that perspective.

Hold 'em is the dominant game today, and because there are only 2 non-community cards, mucking isn't as big a factor as it once was in games like lowball, 7-stud, and draw.

It's still possible though.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15821 Posts

Profile of tommy
My cash games are almost always dealers choice Omaha. That is, it's Omaha but the dealer button choice on how many cards.. sometimes 6 card Omaha. Depends on how many players but they nearly always call for the max. So you can call 4,5 or 6 if there is enough cards to go around.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Ahh Omaha. that's one of the craziest games to play. esp. when the people you play with only play holdem. people thinking there Q/K high flush is good. and when theres a pair on the board watch out!
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2006-11-09 17:26, sodman12 wrote:
But if you were mucking your only switching out cards for different ones not changing the amount in play.

Am I missing something?

Hi Sodman12

Little confusing here with the use of the term "mucking". Here in the United States when playnig poker the term "mucking" means throwing your current hand away. What exactly does it refer to in your context?

Also here in the Casios if at any time your cards ever go beneath the table edge when holding them you are out of the current pot (your hand is dead).
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15821 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes Mucking has two menings: To muck your hand in poker is to pass your hand, it goes into the muck pile, that is cards not in play.
To Muck a card in cardsharp terms is to palm cards.. steal them. Usually so you can switch them in for other cards later.

But I myself get confussed with some terms as most come from the USA. Perhaps someone could explain it better than me but I will give it a go:

We have "Hold Out" devices which are contraptions for serving a card into the hand.

But we have "Holding Out" which is haveing stolen cards from the game your holding them out of the game which might be held anywhere.

"Mucking" = Palming.

Terms from magic and the card table and poker often get mixed up. A Shark for example is not a cheat to a poker player just a good player.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » This deck feels light! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL