The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » One for the money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Hello,
I was wonderign if anyone could pm me any info on this trick as to its working.
I have been searching for it forever and have never had luck, the local magic shops unable to order in the product. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wish I could help. I've not heard of this one before. Can you share any more information that could help me track it down?

Mark.
magictaffy
View Profile
New user
Cardiff,Wales.UK
87 Posts

Profile of magictaffy
This is an effect by Bill Goldman, still available from all good magic stores.
Its basically a card at any number effect, using an ordinary deck with no gimmicks, very effective and virtually self working. Hope this is the one you are referring to.
Paul.
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Yes that is the one I'm looking for, sorry that I wasnt completely clear.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
magictaffy
View Profile
New user
Cardiff,Wales.UK
87 Posts

Profile of magictaffy
No worries mate, just come back from holiday in Australia had a great time. What is it that you are trying to find out.
This effect uses an ungimmicked deck/borrowed deck and is totally impromptu, no set up needed and only one simple move.Spec is asked to shuffle the cards then selects one and puts anywhere in the deck, shuffle again remembering his selection.All this occurs in the spec hands. Magician takes the deck and asks spec to name a number between 1 and 52. Spec names a number and the magician deals card face down onto the table until he gets to that number.He then holds the card in his hand and puts the deck aside.Spec names his card and magi slowly turns over the card. It is the selected card!
That is the basic effect and there are no really difficult slights or moves to perform. Can't say much more without telling you how its done.
Paul
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Paul,

Sounds interesting. Is this a single trick sold at a magic shop or one from a book? I have never heard of this one before and would like to look into it further.

Thanks, Mark.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Its a single effect. Definitely one of my favorite ACAAN...This is the trick I use to trick magicians because they expect something much more complicated than it really is. Its actually a very simple and straightforward method. Wish I could help you find it...

James
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks James. OK...now...the hunt begins!

Mark.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3315 Posts

Profile of warren
You can get this effect and see an on line demo from jbtv,
hope this helps.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Don't get too enthusiastic, the reality is not what the add reads. It's not a matter of pick any card, shuffle it back and give it back to the magician.

It is: deal cards till you want to stop, do something with the cards that the mag. tells you to do, give the deck back, the magician does something with the deck and makes a kind a move that is not necessary and voila !

This is what the add should read. For me it was a total rip-off. Even for the 10 bucks. Look at the demo at jbtv.co.uk.
Frans
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
If the add stated EXACTLY what REALLY happened they would have to explain the method. that's true for every effect ever. The "move" to accomplish the effect is invisible and if your audience is seeing it then you are performing the effect wrong. The cards are counted fairly and very slowly. The card is then fairly taken and held in the hand and turned over. The add is very fair. Maybe you should work on the trick a little more before calling it a rip off.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3315 Posts

Profile of warren
You could alter the first part of the effect,ie have a spectator shuffle the cards,take the cards back riffle through and get him to just peak at a card,then as an after thought get him to reshuffle the deck and continue on with the effect from that position.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
I don't agree what you say, James, but that doesn't surpise you, I think.

In my post I discribed what really happens without giving the method away. so it is possible tot give a more accurate discription as in the add.
And I call it a rip-off because the text in the add isn't 100% honest. You think you buy an effect that is quite clean, but it isn't. That I don't like the move, well, that is just bad luck for me.
Maybe it is a matter of taste. If I read all the posts at the Café about Bill Goldman he's the hero of the magicworld, but so far I'm not impressed by his work (and I know some other effects by him). Anyway, I'm glad you like it.
And Warren: thanks for the tip !

Frans
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
This all comes down to when enough is enough in describing an effect. Obviously people are going to have different opinions. (as you and I do on this particular effect) Yes, its true that you described the effect more fully than the add...But is it full enough for someone else? Someone could argue that even your description of the effect is not telling us enough information. However, I think it's better to be vague than revealing.

I think an effect should be described as seen by the spectator...Within reason. You cannot say a levitation gets a height of 2 feet simply because some spectators may remember it that way. I don't think there are any set rules to follow, but it just needs to be within reason. I think One For The Money's add is most certainly within reason. After all, reading an effect along the lines of "you never touch the deck, the spectator does everything and the card is still at the number!" should kind of let you know this isn't really exactly what is happening. Something is happening for you to get the card to this position.

However, to the spectator it appears they select a card and shuffled it in the deck. You then take the deck back and deal to a selected number and its their card. I can see where you are coming from and I think it can be very difficult to describe effects fairly. However, on a list of effects that have not been described fairly, I would rank this very, very low down in the list.

James
RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
This is a great trick.
Try it out a few times before making immediate judgements.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of jcroop
This IS a great trick.

The move seems too bold. The trick seems too simple. But it works! I have always received excellent reactions from the spectators.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
It is a great trick. After it's shuffled and handed back to the magician I spread the cards to show they're mixed (in the process doing what you need to do) and hand the deck back to the spectator to deal the cards into my hands and then reveal the selected card at their selected number. They remember a free selection, shuffling all they want and then dealing to the number.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5764 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform it quite often, with small changes to the presentation. It's a nice effect that's totally impromptu, if there happens to be a deck of cards handy. This is one effect that can be performed with a dog-eared deck. Bob Kohler produced the DVD for Bill Goldman, so you know who to contact if you have trouble tracking down the DVD.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
One For The Money has tremendous impact on an audience. It's a Bill Goldman masterpiece. To me one of the real joys of performing magic is being deceptive. Sometimes is a series of incredible, indetectable sleight of hand moves, sometimes it's a gimmick that took years to develop (I admit this is a plug for the holdout).

One For The Money is neither of these methods. It's a brilliant combination of presentation setting the audience up for ONE MOMENT. At that moment one move happens. And the combination is devastating.

One of my favorite effects is the classic perfect stop trick. One For The Money fits my stop trick presentation perfectly. When Bill showed me One For The Money at a trade show about ten years ago I basically begged him to let me do it. He was in a good mood and told me I could do it but not around magicians. I kept my promise.

The reason is this, it's not a magician fooler but it will fool any audience. My favorite quote in all of magic is in Erdnase. "The professional magician unable to improve the method changes the moment." This is one of Bill's strengths. He found a great moment. He clearly sees the effect methods have on the audience. If you work up One For The Money and understand why it works you'll have a trick you'll use for the rest of your life. I still use it all of the time. It's a keeper.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 13:04, Bob Kohler wrote:

The reason is this, it's not a magician fooler but it will fool any audience. My favorite quote in all of magic is in Erdnase. "The professional magician unable to improve the method changes the moment."

Bob, I hate to differ with you here buddy, but I have fooled several guys/gals in our club who, I guess maybe have never seen this trick as well as a few other magicians over time. You might not fool a top pro magician/cardician but certainly it will fool most amateur magicians and fool 'em bad! It certainly should be in one's card arsenal as it has all the ingrediants of a great card trick.

Snidini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » One for the money (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL