The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Why Me? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I started magic years ago. It took me years to do it full time. Other magicians become professional so fast. Why did it take me so long?
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Because you went the smart route and refused to give up reliable income to live a dream?

Because you didn't have just the right person standing in just the right place to further your career?

Because your look may not have been exactly right to get bookings?

Because you weren't willing to sell an inferior, under-practiced show to your clients?
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Cfrye's right. You were smart and actually spent time DEVELOPING your show into something amazing, meanwhile there are those out there that call themselves "proffessionals" who go out, buy a few effects, and then start marketing themselves as pros without any practice, rehearsal, or experience time whatsoever.
It's not you, it's them. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
Yeah, for example: I have been performing magic since the age of 7. My strongest magic is the magic that I do over and over again. For me this is kundalini rising. I perform it whenever I'm thrown in front of an audience, without music outside. It is a STRONG piece of magic for me. The magic which I just started to perform is not neccessarily weak, but it's not nearly as comfortable as my stronger routines. One day I hope that all the magic I do is equilly as stong.

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
I have been doing magic for 9 months after a 9 year hiatus. And even though I used to perform all the time and worked in a magic shop back in the day, I have to have perfect circumstances before I will perform a trick these days and I hope to keep it that way for a year or so untill I feel more comfortable.

Being in magic then taking a (long) break gives you a nice perspective on what magic is all about . So I salute you mike in taking your time. Unless your just a slow learner (just kidding) Smile

Best of luck

Matt
Hermes
View Profile
New user
Turkey
4 Posts

Profile of Hermes
Don't feel too bad.

Learning magic is like any craft - it should not be rushed. There will always be others who progress quicker (and slower) than you.

Some people can learn a trick in a day which would take others years to learn. But can they perform it better than the person who's been practising for a year? Maybe. Maybe not. It's all mostly relative, my friend.

The important thing is: move at your own pace.
"what is essential cannot be seen"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You are to be commended sir.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have discovered the first rule of society. If you can get away with it then get away with it.
This is like a criminal (killer) who wins the lottery (yes this has happened a few times in the UK) the people who deserve the fruits never get them.
We have people here who claim benefits while driveing a merc and selling drugs. These people earn more (tax free) money then me without giving back to the society that they destroy.
For every 100 BRILLIANT singers, one rubbish singer becomes famous. These are the politics you are against.
It might be that a magi gets a slot over you as he went to the same school as the person booking acts. Do not underestimate this system, This is why so many incompidents are leading public life. Bush and Blair 4 example.
Anyone who learns a trick in a day then performs it for money has a different agenda too you. They want $$ you want Smile
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
But when they actually get it, well, that's the rub. Is it not?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
No way DD. That is how it works, now reframe your priorities and it wont bother you.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Why Me? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL