The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Jolly Roger's Marketing Strategies......Finally!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Are we doing poetry now? The only poem I know that is relevant to marketing is:

To Market, to market, to buy a fat pig;
Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

It's actually a song, but you can't hear me singing it over the Internet... I hope.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Dean..........

I also have no idea who you are, and I am sure you are also a very likeable chap. I do not dislike anyone on this planet, as I am sure you don't as I notice the religeous fish symbol on the bottom of your posts.

Dean.........I hear you talking about all the emails you have received. There are two sides to every story. I have recieved so many emails and IM's of support on this thread, that you will be amazed!! At some point, I may even cut and paste them, so you will see I am not making it up.

You obviously don't get it. I have not been as verbous as your good self....granted. However, sometimes everything is so much simpler than people make out(yourself for one). There has been some fantastic marketing advice on this thread!! Some from me, some from wonderful people like Kent, and some from others. I think you need to read between the lines.

Incidently, so you know the backgroubnd of all this, I actually never set out to be the world's greatest marketing Guru!! I rarely do any marketing these days, as nearly all my work comes through referral, so I must be doing something right. However, Donald thought that I probably had a lot to say about marketing, as I had been quite successful in staging a marketing campaign for my products on the Café. So I cut and pasted his request at the head of this thread, and I have gone from there. I still have much to offer, but now that it is nearing 3000 hits, I am truly wondering if everyone out there is worthy of receiving my advice!! All the hostility towards me is amazing, and maybe I need to rethink things a bit!! However, unless things detioriate rapidly, I still plan on give you all a few pointers. But please, I urge you, re read the thread. One of the contributers has already made $2000 out of something I said........so.........keep reading..... between the lines!!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hey brother... no hostility from me. Ha! Ha! Just some simple questions and obsurvations based on what we have read from you and your still yet to be fulfilled promises. AND, we are clearly NOT talking about your efforts at home and off-line are we? NO. We are discussing THIS THREAD and The Café. Try n' stay on track, ok?

Not mad at all, just asking questions for the sake of clarity bud... Party on!

And YES, I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Oh! It's a jesus fish! Cool!

I was wondering about that!
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Worthy of your advice?
You are pretty arogant.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
It was 9:18 in the evening when the doorbell rang. That's pretty late for uninvited guests, but when I looked through the peephole I saw a distorted image of my neighbor, so I opened the door.

Turns out, it wasn't my neighbor at all. It was a lady trying to sell vacuum cleaners, and she quickly launches into her sales pitch while my wife is trying to dress my daughter for a bed time that passed 18 minutes ago.

Now, normally I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch. I think all salesmen are at heart. But I've dealt with this vacuum cleaner thing before. The thing is, our entire house is floored with hardwood and ceramic tile. Even the bedrooms and closets are all floored with hardwood. There is not a stitch of carpet in our house other than the welcome mat and a throw rug in the master bedroom.

So when she finishes her brief spiel I say, "Good luck, but unfortunately we don't have any carpet in our house at all. You are standing on the only carpet we own."

She doesn't bat an eye. She continues as if I were a bad actor who forgot my lines and the real lines were "Tell me more!"

"It only takes 20 minutes for a complete demonstration" she tells me with a smile as fake as my sister's diamonelle ear rings.

"A demonstration of WHAT?!" I asked. I was now more disappointed in her complete lack of concern for my needs than I was irritated that she had interrupted our daughter's bed time routine in order to try and sell me something I cannot use, and demonstrate it on carpet that I simply don't own.

I really try not to be rude to sales people. I love to hear a good pitch. I study them. I love to be sold because I love to FEEL the psychology that goes into it. I love to study what I'm feeling and why. You can get a doctorate in marketing for just a few hundred dollars spent buying things sold by good sales people.

But this lady was not good. She was offensive. She didn't care the least about what I needed or how she could help me. All she wanted was to make the sale at any cost.

And the cost would have been mine.

This sort of vampire marketing might be effective when you are just trying to make a sale and then skate town. But if you are serious about building long term relationships, getting re-bookings, generating good word of mouth, and ultimately building a long-term, sustainable business model; If you are interested in spending your time doing something other than going out every day, pestering people, lying to them, and struggling to sneak past their defenses so you can hoodwink them into buying something they don't need then getting out to cash the check before they put a stop payment on it, then you need to realize that "the close" is not the end of the process.

It's just the beginning.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello Julian.........Welcome on board! I totally agree with everything you say in your post. You are a wise man. My two focus's at the moment are entertaining(both adults and children) and selling my products. The selling products is new to me, but I am just amazed how well it has taken off, thanks largely to the Magic Café. I have built up a large group of clients who love my limited range of products, and also appreciate the after sales service. This frequently comes in the form of IM's and emails, where I give out little tips and suggestions, and answer any questions they may have. I have been a professional entertainer all my life( I am now 58 years old), and I have always been serious about building long term relationships, getting re-bookings, generating good word of mouth, and ultimately building a long-term, sustainable business model! Most of my work comes through repeat bookings, as I have already explained.

The problem with some people on this thread is that they do understand that I have a very British, rather dry, sense of humor. They are trying to change me...change the way I do things, and say things..........and yet they keep on coming back to this thread. Isn't it interesting. Folks, I am what I am, I believe what I am doing is right, I do not lie, or cheat, or deceive...and, although Mr. Lucky may disagree, I am not arrogant!! That was a joke, Mr. Lucky.
So my friends, life is all about choices. You can continue contributing to this thread, or you can move on to some of the more deep threads out here like discussing which Run-Rabbit-Run is the best bang for your buck from whatever dealer! The choice is yours!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-11-02 12:25, magicman845 wrote:
OK, here’s my approach to marketing my magic. Much of it stems from my formal undergraduate training and, more importantly, about 30 years of experience in the field. Having said that, however, I realize these concepts may not fit everyone.

Marketing consists of 4 essential components: Product, Price, Placement and Promotion. Each of these elements share a equal degree of importance when developing any marketing plan or strategy. When I developed my marketing plan, I annalyzed each of these elements to develop a unified whole.

I find it interesting that Kent's 4 P's (from earlier on this thread) are a little similar to Jim Snack's 5 P's from this post on another thread. A couple are different, to be sure.

Here are Jim Snack's (from that post):

Quote:
Jim Snack:
In my Kidabra Conference Marketing Day lecture this year, I talked about the Five 'P's of Marketing: Product, Positioning, Packaging, Pricing, and Promotion. You need to make some decisions in each of these areas as you formulate a marketing plan.

If members want to read some more thoughts on the matter, take a look at Jim's entire post. It's a great post, with well thought out advice, as well.

- Donald

P.S. Those two posts just stuck out to me. I think it's called "alliteration"? I mention this because Jolly Roger likes alliteration a lot (usually with R's).
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&108

It occurs to me that, as we have some new viewers to this thread, some of you might like to catch up on the history of all this, so I am providing a link to my original COI thread ! This thread was locked, so I started a new thread in an attempt to answer Donald's questions about marketing. As I have said before, I have never claimed to be a marketing guru like Julian Frankin, The Dean, or even the notorious Dave Dee!! I am merely an entertainer and now a successful small time magic dealer....and all I have ever said is that I will answer your questions. That I am attempting to do.....even though it make seem like a roundabout way of doing it. I have been a successful full time professional entertainer of adults and children all my life, and my travels in this capacity have taken me all over the world. I am very blessed. Now, I am willing to share! That is actually what I am doing...........This is not about me, it is about you!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-11-09 22:13, TheDean wrote:
Quote:
MIKE: - “Deano! Nice to see the marketing guru himself on this thread.”

Hey Mike… no “GURU” here! The closest anyone here gets to “Guruism” is may the “GOO” in Good Food gone messy. (Hehehehe!) Thanks for your kindness! I’m just a guy who is passionate about success (YOURS and everyone’s!) and living his dreams… and SO CAN YOU!

Quote:
Jolly Roger:
As I have said before, I have never claimed to be a marketing guru like Julian Frankin, The Dean, or even the notorious Dave Dee!!

Just a polite reminder to Roger that Dean clarified earlier on this thread that he makes no claims to being a "marketing guru." Let's not twist the facts on hand, please.

- Donald
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
My apologies, as I did not pick up you were joking.
Julian, thanks for the great input.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Just a polite reminder to Roger that Dean clarified earlier on this thread that he makes no claims to being a "marketing guru.""

I probably misstated what I was trying to say. It does occasionally happen, so please forgive me, Donald! And if you are really nice to me Donald, I will give you the ride I promised in the Lamborgini!! I consider that Dean is a marketing Guru, even if he does not. I am entitled to my opinions, and hopefully he will take it as a compliment. Also, I consider, judging from his wonderful posts, that Kent is also a bit of a marketing Guru.

I understand that some of you would like to hear some more of my marketing ideas...here is a reminder of a few of the things I have sofar mentioned, plus a few I have added.

1) Have a good website.

2) Have some good givaways. I recommended the Tony Griffith Puppet. Also, a rolled up wand with contact info inside. Every entertainer working in London for Jolly Roger Entertainments gave these out at birthday parties, and they bought in masses of business.

3) Get a Database of email addresses of all your clients. I have already dicussed this above, but let me know if you have any questions.

4) Use Google ad words/ overture or similar as disussed above. Stay ahead with new technology for promotion. Yellow Pages is not what it used to be!

5) Make sure you have a name people will remember. I have a separate thread going on The Little Darlings about this very important marketing ploy.

6) Have a good answering machine message..very important. Be creative with it. You will be amazed the number of people who have booked me entirely because of my message!

7) Be personable on the phone when taking a booking. Very important. Be business like..yet fun at the same time. I frequently get bookings entirely on the strength of my phone personality. Clients tell me they have been calling around, and find what I have to say is much more interesting. I am high energy, talk to the client about all sorts of things other than the show!! When I get round to the show, I usually clinch the deal.

8) Try the Eric Sharp idea of a business card in the shoe. It works like a dream.

9) Put your website, logo and other stuff on your car if possible. I get lots of calls as a result of this.

10) At birthday parties, put your brochures in a special fun container like a Cardboard cut- out wizard outside the clients house. Then the mums will all pick one up as they leave. I never find the client minds this, plus it helps dress up the house for the party!!

All questions about the above will be answered!!!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Good points Roger... Thanks!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Roger, It has been a while.... I have been a busy boy doing shows and revamping acts for next year. Another idea that works for me is to give away a "Pirate activity sheet to the kids at partys, it has got some colouring, a couple of jokes, a pirate song and last but not least contact info etc.

simple idea, but all the kids now have my contact info..

If you make yourself a professional and act like it, then people will hire you. Under promise, over deliver and make 'em remember you.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thank you, Roger. You are a true man of your word! Great stuff.

I liked the idea about the POP (Point of Purchase) display, holding brochures, adapted to being used in a birthday party environment. I hadn't read that adaptation before.

I'd love to hear more about how you chat up the customers, before selling (point 7).

- Donald
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Another idea that works for me is to give away a "Pirate activity sheet to the kids at partys, it has got some colouring, a couple of jokes, a pirate song and last but not least contact info etc."

Excellent idea Seadawg! Over the years I have given away all sorts of colouring sheets with me as a pirate, wizard or whatever. However.............Here is an even better and more original concept. We have already talked about how important it is for children to remember your name. What is, arguably, even more important is for them to remember your tricks..so they can tell their friends that they had this wonderful magician at their party that did X, Y or Z amazing magic.

My two most talked about tricks, without exception, are my Ridiculous Ravioli and My Cloth of Invisibility. So......anyone who does these incredible effects, and I know there are many of you out there, here is a suggestion. On one side of the givaway you have a black and white outline of a can of Ravioli, and on the other side you have nothing. It is blank. Your name, phone number and website are on the paper. Ask the kids to take the paper home, and colour in the Ravioli. Then they can show it to their friends and tell them all about the fun time they had at little Johnny's party, where the wonderful magician mutiplied the cans of Ravioli, snakes jumped out of jars of Peanut Butter, and even a live mouse called Ronnie made an appearance!! Every child will want this magician at their party!! On the blank side of the paper, tell the child to look hard at the empty paper, and the magician who was invisible may appear on the paper!! Kids will watch it for hours, and often believe they see something!!

Apply this marketing tool to your own show.............unless, ofcorse, you own Ridiculous Ravioli!! Whatever your featured trick is, try it. It works....I know!!
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Nice tips Roger, and I like the COI. It is very clever.
www.mikebrownmagic.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I'd love to hear more about how you chat up the customers, before selling (point 7).

Ok Donald.............I have never met you, so I do not know your personality. It is therefore a little hard for me to answer your question, but remember your personality will shine forth in the conversation you will have with the client! They are judging you on many factors. Things are probably going rappidly through their mind during the conversation, like " What is Little Jessica going to think of this Strange Canadian(etc)lol!! Seriously, though, be funny, businesslike, and get them to know a bit about you. I go into great details about my magic show......far more than most magicians do I believe. I am frequently told by clients that when they call around, they get very little information from the other magicians, so they would rather book me. If they say they used to live in Toronto, tell them you used to dine at Honest Ed Mirvishes Place..that sort of thing. I hope this helps, Donald. I am delighted you are talking to me again, after a noticible absence!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Well, I'm a bit of a shy person (in person), when around strangers. Friends I can talk up a storm with. Some here will find that hard to believe, that I am pretty quiet in person / on the phone, when dealing with people I feel I don't know yet.

I even took the Carnegie training to help me more with getting out of my shell. I used to be worse.

And so at times, I find it a little awkward to strike a conversation and talk about just anything. I do have a pretty good sales manner, for the most part, and know to ask questions, and also give a pretty good description of my show. But chit chat with a new prospect or new customer can be a challenge for me, especially when I feel stuck for topics of discussion.

I've heard of the "be-funny-during-the-sales-conversation" strategy before, when someone mentioned T Myer's Life on the Living Room Circuit book (about birthday shows). I've heard that he has a theory about getting your prospect to laugh at least two or three times, and you get the booking. And of course, people need to get your sense of humour, too.

I think that Jeffrey Gitomer has also touched on this subject in his sales / business books.

What do you find is the best balance between humour, friendliness, and straightforward business?

- Donald
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jolly Roger, I am dumbfounded! You gave away most of the secret marketing strategies, including the one that made me $1,000 last week and $2,000 the week before just after I learned it. I guess now I'll learn if if still works when lots of people know about it.

I had hoped that it would be "our" little secret, but I suppose that's just selfish. I have heard a rumor that you plan to release the full marketing strategy in a book called "The Secret is Out! Dave Dee Loves Ravioli!" I don't know exactly what that means, but I implore you not to release it in print until I have made my first million. People tend to believe the printed word more than they do the printed cyber word in a forum or in e-mails. Something about being more substantial if it is in a hardcover book.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Jolly Roger's Marketing Strategies......Finally!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL