The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Jolly Roger's Marketing Strategies......Finally!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Spellbinder, I am not sure if you a really worried about giving away the secrets.
As I see it, you are not my competition. You my friend are my ally. And let me take a minute to explain my view.

You are only my competition if you come to my geographic area and start working the markets that I do, and start cutting into my business using tricks, effects and strategies that I use. Then I have an issue.

If, on the other hand, you doing a top notch quality job in an other area, furthering the demand for magicians in general, and you in particular, then you are my ally. Anything we can do to strengthen each others business's and enhance our show quality, and by extension, profitability is a good thing.

Do I mind sharing with other pro's who ar3 going to share with me. Nope...
And if someone chooses to be all take and no give, sooner or later, what goes around comes around.... and when they have a serious problem or need, no one will rally to thier aid. Just the way it is...

I have met some wonderful online persoalities who have been very helpful. There is not a brick iand mortar magic shop within a 500 miles of my place...(Yes you read that right. I truly do need these forums and the wonderful people here...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Jolly Roger, I am dumbfounded! You gave away most of the secret marketing strategies, including the one that made me $1,000 last week and $2,000 the week before just after I learned it."

Spellbinder. Sometimes in life one is faced with choices. This was not an easy decision. However, I am a man of my word, and there have been some folks on the Café who appear to have doubted my integrity. Rather than give everything away in one fell swoop, it made more sense for me to hide the pearls in subtle little corners of my posts. This way, readers like yourself who are obviously intellegent, professional, and indeed curious, can seek them out. I am delighted that you have made $2000 by discovering "THE ONE." That is terrific news. You are well on the way to the Lamborgini!! I will talk more about the book in due course. Good luck! JR
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I think one of the most important and beautiful marketing strategies is

'kill em with kindness'.

presenting yourself as a real, genuine, and kind person without all of the sale-pitchy facade allows customers to resonate with YOU.

"Take me for what I am
Who I was meant to be
And if you give a ***
Take me baby, or leave me". (Idina rocks my socks, google her)

So, some people might not like your style or personality, but I think it is much better than putting on a fake smile or developing an 'This juicer can do all that? and all for the low low price of 19.95 a month with five easy payments?' act.

I think that if you are being completely true to yourself either a person, advertiser, or entertainer, you will be able to get drawn more enjoyable and satisfying personal and work.

I confess to trying to present myself as what I am not, and trying to manipulate both my verbal and non-verbal communication to influence others (impression management), but growing both as a human being and as an artist, I have learned that finding who you are and being confident in it is the key to enjoying whatever you do in life.

Sure you may not appeal to everyone, but I think it is a basic human instinct to identify with someone who is being themselves and just showinging what you can do, rather than trying to influence you to buy into something.

Then again, trying to present yourself naturally as a marketing strategy is destroying my point...and I am confusing myself.

*stop thinking out loud dave!*

Keep laughing,

Dave
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
BRAVO Dave!

Nicely spoke! (Witten... Hehehe!)
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
[quote]On 2006-11-12 11:25, Donald Dunphy wrote:

I find it interesting that Kent's 4 P's (from earlier on this thread) are a little similar to Jim Snack's 5 P's from this post on another thread. A couple are different, to be sure. [quote]

Yep, the P's of marketing have been around for a long, long time. The key difference between Jim's approach and mine is simply generational. When I did my undergraduate degree in business and marketing, they hadn't yet defined the 5th P. Positoning has since become recognized to increase the emphasis on the target market. But the building blocks are pretty much the same.

Another tool to marketing any product or service is what's called a S.W.O.T. ****ysis. That's where you go about ****yzing your product and the industry with regard to its Strength's, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. That's all I'll mention about it for now since, I don't want to unnecessarily hijack this thread. There have been enough distractions already.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Too, I will ask, for the sake of marketing insights and success sharing:

"IF You Are So Successful (Which I Believe You Are, if you are actually working regularly.) By Applying Charm, Cleverness, NICENESS, Directness and all the stuff that WORKS so well for you in the outside world, WHY so diametrically opposite HERE?"

Regardless of how 'powerful and successful' you SAY this marketing scheme is working for you “HERE”, I will ASK again, how many others are you leaving in the dust by applying this sheer numbers game with this "Controversy Marketing Play" you are admittedly using.

I personally know of “too many real buyers to count” who have each VOWED never to do business with you as a direct result f this manipulation... again, IS THIS A EFFECTIVE Use Of Marketing, or even GOOD For Business in the long run??? Sure, you'll sell some stuff, but at what COST? Or do you even care?

And then WHY so nice outside and deliberately "Controversial" here?

Not asking to be mean, or mad, or anything other than “just curious from a pure marketing and human relations” perspective. (Which has always and only been my participation on this discussion thus far… no matter how it is mis-represented.)

Thanks!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 13:57, TheDean wrote:

"IF You Are So Successful (Which I Believe You Are, if you are actually working regularly.) By Applying Charm, Cleverness, NICENESS, Directness and all the stuff that WORKS so well for you in the outside world, WHY so diametrically opposite HERE?"

Deano
<><

That is quite a good point. I believe that JR is correct is suggesting we use niceness and humour in our sales but from what I have read here, I notice a real lack of genuineness.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I am at a bit of a loss. some people think that some people are being disengenious. Others think that they are being "Deliberately controversial".

I read the posts of some of those so called" Deliberately controversial, disengenious" fellows and there are useful pointers. Then I read the posts of others and learn that all they want to do is live in a glass house and throw stones. Perhaps I should learn to turn the other cheek. Maybe I will, and for this I present the othersdie of my gluteus maximus.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"That is quite a good point. I believe that JR is correct is suggesting we use niceness and humour in our sales but from what I have read here, I notice a real lack of genuineness."

Hello Nicholas, my good friend! How is life down there south of the Equator? I understand that you have been looking for acts for a television show in Sydney. Years ago when I lived in that great city, I was on two television shows: Pot of Gold and The Mike Walsh show. This was in the early 70's, and a young man called Paul Hogan also had just got his own TV show. Years later, he became quite famous in Britain doing commercials for Castelmaine 4X beer. This lead to his movie success with Crocodile Dundee..........but I digress. I must stop doing that, as it upsets certain muggles!!

Anyhow, can you clarify the above quote for me please? Somewhere on this thread you are seeing a lack of genuineness by someone, or some people. Can you please clarify, as I hate phoeniness in all it's forms, and I would love to know to what you are referring? Thank you, Nicholas. That would be much appreciated.

I also totally agree with Indridcold when he says the following:

"I think that if you are being completely true to yourself either a person, advertiser, or entertainer, you will be able to get drawn more enjoyable and satisfying personal and work." I have always been true to myself. I actually think this has a great deal to do with my success!
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Sorry guys for the terible state of my earlier post. So many words are missing and spelling and grammar are really blue. Never againw ill I post here at 5am.

Davo
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Sorry guys for the terible state of my earlier post. So many words are missing and spelling and grammar are really blue. Never againw ill I post here at 5am"

I hate to say this, Indridcold, but your spelling and grammar were actually better at 5am. than they were at 12.34am!!! JR.

PS. I loved your earlier post. "Kill em with Kindness."........makes sense to me!
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
I am truly wondering if everyone out there is worthy of receiving my advice!! All the hostility towards me is amazing,

The above is a quote from Jolly Roger Who obviously thinks by the above remark that he is better than most .....well he is entitled to his opinion but I am wondering on the word advice ! it is only his opinion of which he has a great deal . There is nothing wrong with stating ones opinions but it should not be taken as advice.I have been a childrens entertainer for many years more than mr Jolly Roger and would not presume to offer advice to anyone but would be prepared to offer them my opinion or the way that suits me .Now I am a maufacturer so I also know something of that side too .......what works for one does not work for another.
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"There is nothing wrong with stating ones opinions but it should not be taken as advice"

I stand to be corrected, Derek. Obviously everything I say is my opinion, and you could take it or leave it......just like I do with everything I read! I am not a literary scholar, so please forgive me!

"Who obviously thinks by the above remark that he is better than most"
I certainly do not think I am better than most. If you read my response to Mr. Lucky, he now accepts that was a joke...which it was! British humour, you know! I see you live in Thailand. I love your country. I was in Bangcok and northern Tailand a short time ago befor a trip to Singapore, Bali and Hong Kong. An elephant put his nose on a window of the restaurant in Bangcok, and I nearly dropped my billiard balls!! How many more years have you been a children's entertainer than me? I did my first show when I was 12, and I am now 58. Just curious?
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
Well Jolly Roger I am 68 now and like your self I was doing children's shows at the age of 10 but I have to confess the show at that age left a lot to be desired .no videos in those days but my father took some cine(if anyone can remember what that was)and it was definitely not a very good show.
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Yes Derek........you beat me by ten years. But you seem a young 68 like I am a young 58! The secret to eternal youth?...Entertaining kids, in my opinion!!

Gosh, I wish I had an old cine film of me doing one of my early shows. Funnily enough, I still do some of the same tricks now as I did then. The only difference is that my rings are now 12 inch, when my first set was I believe 5 inch! When my hands shrivel up in my old age, I think I will go back to 5 inch, like my friend Mark Raffles does!!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 17:13, jolly roger wrote:
"That is quite a good point. I believe that JR is correct is suggesting we use niceness and humour in our sales but from what I have read here, I notice a real lack of genuineness."

Hello Nicholas, my good friend! How is life down there south of the Equator? I understand that you have been looking for acts for a television show in Sydney. Years ago when I lived in that great city, I was on two television shows: Pot of Gold and The Mike Walsh show. This was in the early 70's, and a young man called Paul Hogan also had just got his own TV show. Years later, he became quite famous in Britain doing commercials for Castelmaine 4X beer. This lead to his movie success with Crocodile Dundee..........but I digress. I must stop doing that, as it upsets certain muggles!!

Anyhow, can you clarify the above quote for me please? Somewhere on this thread you are seeing a lack of genuineness by someone, or some people. Can you please clarify, as I hate phoeniness in all it's forms, and I would love to know to what you are referring? Thank you, Nicholas. That would be much appreciated.

I also totally agree with Indridcold when he says the following:

"I think that if you are being completely true to yourself either a person, advertiser, or entertainer, you will be able to get drawn more enjoyable and satisfying personal and work." I have always been true to myself. I actually think this has a great deal to do with my success!

It simply means that I, and others, do not feel that you are genuine in your remarks. For example, I would refer to a potential client (particularly one who had complained about my business practices) as a 'good friend' as you do above.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"It simply means that I, and others, do not feel that you are genuine in your remarks."

Hello Nicholas. I am sorry to have to continue on this subject, which is probably very tedious to most readers, but I am still totally confused as to what you are saying. I would be grateful if you could give me some examples of where you and others feel I am not genuine. I consider you a friend, Nicholas, in the same way I consider everyone a friend on the Café. But, quite honestly, there is nobody in the world I dislike, I rarely ever get angry with anoybody, and if you have seen posts I have made that give you the impression that I am not genuine, or devious, or angry, you are welcome to cut and paste them.

Now, do I have a sometimes michevious sense of houmour? Yes, most definitely!! Do you always understand my humour? Maybe not........especially as this is all typed instead of spoken. Plus I am very British!! Is the only reason I have come on the Café to sell my products? Most definitely not! Have I sold lots of my products since I have been on the Café? Yes........because people recognise they are wonderful, original products. If you look through all my posts you will see that I have offered much wisdom. You can take it or leave it. Many are taking it. I have boxes full of IM's and emails from people who do not understand why a few out there have decided they do not like me very much. I really do not care. It is their problem, not mine!! I love all mankind.

Incidentally, Nicholas, I was looking at the adult video you posted, and I thought it was great!!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
http://www.conman.com.au/todaytonightweb.wmv

You may think I am not genuine, but who is the real conman?(lol)
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Fascinating thread. So much here.

If this entire thread - or at least the main meat of it - was to be published as a book(let), what title do you think would best sum it up?

Keep it snappy.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
"How To Lose Friends, Alienate Potential Customers, And Fade Into Obscurity..."

??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Jolly Roger's Marketing Strategies......Finally!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL