The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Mentalist vent figure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
To add variety in my adult vent act, sometimes I present my vent figure as a mentalist. And we would do a few mentalism tricks, like the Mental Yarn, book tests, etc.

The vent figure as a mentalist proved to be a nice twist in mentalism or ventriloquism acts. Has anybody here done this? What was your experience?

And can you please help me name some more mentalism tricks I can use with my vent figure?

Thanks in advance,

Ony Carcamo, Philippines
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
343 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I've seen vents do bits with comedy mentalism where the figure is blindfolded, etc. and does the mindreading. Obviously, the vent is seeing everything so the routine is definitely made for comedy. Also, I believe in one of Bill Boley's books, there was a bit where the where both the figure and the vent had a paper bag place over their heads and would do a mind reading bit. Not sure who has the rights to this book now... Maher had it at one time.

Gary
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
343 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Forgot to mention that there was another book written about a comedy mindreading vent act... used to be carried by some of the magic companies like Abbott's. Also included a thing about making a pedal so you could play the guitar while the figure sang, etc.

Gary
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I have worked on a comedy start to a serious mentalism bit.

Books such as Psychological Subtleys(sic) by Banachek could be a start.

Stepping out of the box is risky and can be a great payoff.

Let us know how it goes as it develops and you share your bits with your audiennces.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmmm... and I thought I was being original by developing an act like this... I should have known.

...We stand on the shoulders of the "greats"?... someting like that.
In any case, when I have my vent figure ask one of the spectators to think of any number "between" one and 10 and he (my vent figure) confidently states "five!"... well when he's right,the reaction is electrifying (ly) funny and at the same time mind-boggling.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Thanks to all your suggestions! It is really nice that sometimes we use our figures differently--not just as a partner in comedy dialogues. In my recent Halloween shows for adults, I used my main figure Nonoy (a Mack/Marshall figure pictured with me in my avatar) as a "volunteer" during my Iron Garrote (by Peter Loughran) act. I wrapped the chain around him--instead of using an audience volunteer. Then I asked two members of the audience to assist me in pulling the chain of Nonoy's neck!

The byplay, dialogue between me and Nonoy while I'm wrapping the chain around his neck proved to be hilarious!

You might also want to try to use your figures differently.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
This post suddenly inspired a bit of new dialogue in me, tell me if you like it...

After hearing the ventriloquist announce to the audience that he (the ventriloquist) is also a skilled Mind Reader, the dummy looks up at him in disbeleif and remarks.... "ok, if you're so good a mind reader , tell me what I'm thinking..."

The Ventriloquist looks a bit miffed, first at the dummy, then out at the audience, then turns his attention back to the dummy, clears his throat and says... "this isn't really the time for me to do my Mind Reading demonstration... you know that...after all, this wasn't in the script...."

Dummy: "Well, if you won't tell them what I'm thinking, then I will... I'm thinking it's time to get a new ventriloquist!!! ... Or a new Mind Reader... or both!!! " lol

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Mentalist vent figure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL