We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Now thatís funny! Ľ Ľ "Can I shuffle the cards mister magician" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
"What" Can I shuffle the cards. "It's to late...because I placed a red card in this deck before I started...
Or:
"You want to what? Shuffle the cards? Then what?Ē
"See. Then he'll want to shuffle the cards and Tommy Rot over here will want to go through my pockets, one thing leads to another and it's never going to be over for you. And it's not about you is it? It's about all of us working together to make a better world and finish this trick without your mindless intrusion. Believe or not I practiced before I got here and I don't need your attitude mister."

Whatever you do, remember to try and make it fun and entertaining. Sometimes I just out-whine them. Other times I let them butt in and not say anything and look forlornly around and look at the deck for a bit before finishing the trick or have him hold them while I do a coin trick.
"No. Please you keep them. No you/I'm not ready, I can tell. I interrupt him interrupting me. Very funny.

I hope this doesn't read mean because I just laugh out loud that they would even try to interrupt me. They will socially wish they hadn't picked on the magician. I can remember nights of turning a whole bar against one guy. They should never see it coming and will never do it again. LOL.

A little thought and planning is all it takes. All the best. Bob.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Neal's post it right on - this is about the spectatorís mindset. I'm glad to say the question comes up very rarely for me, though I do think there are some -- thankfully rare - hyper-skeptic specs that will always try to mess you up no matter how well you've set the mood and expectations for everyone else.
I'm talking about tricks for adults, here, of course, because kids should always want to catch you.

The conventional wisdom of kid magic is a sucker trick early to keep the wise guys off balance, what about something similar with card shuffling - you really do have a second deck, you clumsily appear to be stacking cards. If you can engineer the shuffling demand, you switch decks along the lines suggested and go with your routine. This suggests to specs that shuffling stuff was all a ruse and they abandon their suspicions of a set up.
Yellowjacket
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
159 Posts

Profile of Yellowjacket
Calamari,
Fantastic! Loved that one.

YellowJacket
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
"Can I shuffle the cards, mister magician?"

My answer: "NO, but you can shuffle your way out the door.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Some of these posts are making hurtful assumptions about my skills as a magician! For those who think its due to performing not well enough your wrong, very wrong. I can assure you its nothing to do with my audience management or sleight of hand.

I work a huge variety of places, but a big bulk of this is bars.

British drunk men, especially those in working menís clubs type atmospheres will eat you alive.

Almost every situation where there is conflict I find it moderately easy to work out. However the "lemme shuffle the cards" I find personally, the most difficult to solve.

Also being too cocky can make you an enemy. Unless you work these kinds of venues you will not know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your suggestions...maybe one or two might work out. Smile

M:C
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Perhaps if you let them shuffle the cards in an earlier effect, then when it comes to your next bit, they'll be thinking itís all-legit shuffling (rather than false shuffling, or controlling their card). If they shuffled them once, they probably won't want to do it again.

A simple glimpse would be all right, if you're using Pete Carrolls Stacked deck, then you're buggered. (Somehow Pete still pulls it off when they spectators shuffles his stack!)

Or you could just be polite and say 'no.' But don't do it so it causes suspicion, say it with a hint of 'leave me alone!'

Is there a specific effect where this keeps happening? Something like the ambitious card you can get out of it with a pass, or something like Triumph then itís easy!

The audience doesnít know what you're going to do, so thereís no problem with you going into another trick. If you glimpse their card, and they shuffle your stack, you can find their card and go into any routine you like.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Smile

Aha!

Flec, you've given me a great idea!

As for which trick, Itís very random! Can happen in Spec Cut's the Aces, Ambit Card, T &R Transpo and even invisible deck!! (Joking) I just reckon these people don't trust me. I don't blame them, perhaps swindling them out of three grand for life insurance before the close up begins is no go.... anymore.

And Pete Carroll does real magic I tell you!
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Itís happened to me in Spectator Cuts the Aces. I just choose the person with the high card, and say, "You won, so you can carry on with the trick...." and then go into something completely different. Itís a weak ending for us magicians, but the audience doesnít know itís the end. Again, they don't know you're going to cut 4 aces. If three people cut aces, and the 4th shuffles his pile, take the mic from him for being the only one who couldn't do it.

With Ambitious Card, you should know the card anyway. After they've shuffled them, spread the cards face up, locate the card, do a pass, a cull, a cut, anything to get the card back where you want it.

Have outs for every effect you do, and then in your audienceís eyes, you'll never have a trick that goes wrong. When I'm performing I have mucked up 100's of times, but the audiences have never known about it.

See you in Blackpool probably.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
When I do ambi card I used a signed card. So if someone ask to shuffle them, I might say, "No, then you'll know where your card is." Which of course is ridiculous and then move on quickly.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I present Spec Cuts the Aces as a demonstration of fate and coincidence...I just came up with a idea then...I pull out a prediction from my pocket and it has written, " 3 people will find aces, (wise guy or one) will shuffle his cards.

As for Ambitious Card, yeah I know the card; it just ruins the flow of the awesomeness Smile

Myself and a great friend of mine who works in the area where talking about this over a beer, we decided if they shuffled the cards more times when they werenít needed to they never asked to shuffle them in the times they canít be shuffled. Itís an uncompleted theory but it worked for us last night.

Flec your posts have made me think! Good ideas man, see you at B'pool.

Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 13:46, Matt Colman wrote:
we came up with if they shuffled the cards more times when they werenít needed to they never asked to shuffle them in the times they canít be shuffled. Itís an uncompleted theory but it worked for us last night.

I started typing that exact theory, but couldn't put it into words! Similar mental effects are on Wonder Words. If you tell people you're palming cards (ala cards to pocket for eg) then people expect you to palm it. Then in a later effect, where you don't need to palm cards, they will be looking for it....and miss what you're really doing. Kenton explains it a hell of a lot better than I do. Disk 2 I think it was on.

So early on if they start shuffling cards, when it comes to using a stack, or a control, or a gaff deck, they shouldn't need to ask to shuffle the cards, because they have shuffled them before, and you still found their card.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
What I actually do is to set the example the first time I do a card effect with some humor, for instance I have the deck prearranged in some sort of mnemoric order, I make a complete false shuffle and I say the spectator please shuffle the cards, and I give him the cards, when he's about to start shuffling I take the cards and I say something like "Okey.. that was quick" without letting him to shuffle.
Then he looks at me and I say "Ohhh I'm sorry did you wanted to shuffle the cards a little more?????" I repeat the action, giving him the cards and saying something like "Okey here's the deck but hurry up" and when he is starting to shuffling the deck I take the deck and say "Woooou, They are really mixed" I look at the spectator that's looking me kind of shocked by this all joke and I say please cut the deck, and turn my hand palm up, he cuts the deck, and then I recompose the deck the way it was before. And finally say "Never mind I was just joking...." and I continue with the effect.

That sets the example for the other spectators in the future, I think it intimidates them to ask me if they can shuffle the deck becouse of having a hard time with me joking them.

Best Regards
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
"Can I shuffle the cards?"

"Of course not."
"Yes, after the show."
"Sure!" Hot Shot cut the chosen card which comes flying out of the deck and into your hand. Hand the rest of the deck to the spectator and follow with, "I'll keep this one, you shuffle these."
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Michael M
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
87 Posts

Profile of Michael M
Dan,

I enjoyed that last one, "Sure!" Hot Shot cut the chosen card which comes flying out of the deck and into your hand. Hand the rest of the deck to the spectator and follow with, "I'll keep this one, you shuffle these." That's my style!

When a spectator asks, "can I Shuffle?"

First, I try not to be mean or insulting. Don't get me wrong, I can be very mean and insulting if need be, but I prefer to rather make them laugh at the situation than feel insulted by it. This is the reason that I feel a lot of people say that they do not like magic or magicians - most likely because they've encountered a magician in the past that made them feel poorly about themselves. Sometimes they deserve it, but come on... we're magicians! We should take the high road.

As soon as you engage in a come back battle with a heckler, most times the magician wins, but it makes you appear unprofessional. As a magician we want to be likeable. We do not want to alienate ourselves. We're already presenting knowledge that others don't possess, making them feel naturally inferior to ourselves - which gives most of us a sense of ego and superiority, but we most overcome that because the true skill of a magician lies in making your tricks and puzzles amusing and entertaining masterpieces of sheer wonder.

In regards to the inquiry, "Can I shuffle?" Jay Sankey in his Revolutionary Card Magic DVD says that he is always giving the deck to the audience to shuffle in between effects. I feel this is a good idea, to continually give the impression that no stacks are used, and that the cards are normal. After constantly asking the audience to shuffle, they should not be suspicious that the cards are tricked and they should be more than satisfied that they are completely mixed.

Also, Diamond Jim does a comedy card shuffling routine where he describes a variety of shuffles - mixing the cards, before he actually does a card trick. This is another good idea that shows the cards being well mixed before any magic has taken place.

I would say that your best bet would be to force the card, catch a glimpse, or take a peek of the selection and just let them shuffle if they ask. Then, still find the card. However, here are a few suggested responses that I use when spectators ask to shuffle:

"We'll work together to go beyond sleight of hand, a little of you, a little of me and a whole lot of chance" Break the deck into two halves. Take the half of the pack that has your stack or controlled card say on the top and give the other to the spectator. Allow them to begin the riffle shuffle and be sure your stack falls on top of their cards, thus completeing the shuffle. In this fashion, you maintain control over your selection or stack.
~ This idea was inspired by David Copperfield and Darwin Ortiz

"I suppose you'll want to find the card too while your at it! Even though you already now what it is... so it would be a lot easier for you to find than it would be for me. But you insist on making it even more difficult by shuffling the cards even more than they already are. But if you want to shuffle, and find the card, and do the whole trick - go right ahead. Just take my whole job...which I love... and I pour my heart and soul into just to please and entertain all of you!? You wanna put me outta work? Would you want that.. then you'll have to support me and feed me and I eat... a lot! No, on second thought, I think I'll be doing the magic... took me 8 years to get it right. I put in the practice and now I'm going to put it to good use!"
~ You're probably assuming this is said in a hostile tone. No no no... reread this paragraph again but picture the magician saying it in a near sobbing fashion - MUCH FUNNIER! Plus, it makes the heckler look like a real jerk and makes you appear as a sensitive gentleman. Once you reach the part where it says, "No, on second though..." you change your tone into that of determination making it very dramatic as if you will find that card... as if your life depended on it!

Look around suspiciously.. and say, "I can't... They're stacked... that means they're in a special order, see? (Run through the cards to show them) "If even one card is outta place like this six of clubs here... if it were over here next to the king of hearts...it would completely mess things up. But next trick, I promise, I'll let you shuffle them all you want."
~ This works because it appears as if you are telling them the truth, but it couldn't possibly be the truth, because you wouldn't tell everybody that the deck is stacked if it really were. It's reverse psychology in action.. and funny too!

"I dunno, can you? Let me see?" (If you know the card selected, let them shuffle.) Not bad... I give it a 7.5. In my professional opinion, I'd say you can shuffle.
~ This is a play on the old.. "can I?" You mean, "may I"? scenario. The rating idea I must give credit to Steve Cohen for.

Two additional ideas are to:

Lick the deck of cards and then ask if they'd still like to shuffle. Or perform the cards in mouth effect. Chances are good that they won't want to shuffle.

OR

Shove the cards down your pants and ask if they still want to shuffle. *wink*

One similar I'd like to add is that of the spectator peeking at the card you switch in after a double lift.

Double lift and put different card on table, asking the spectator to cover it with their hand. If they peek, they'll look at you and smile, even shout that they caught you. I act confused, as if I don't understand what they mean. They'll proclaimed that the card isn't the same that you showed. I say, "No it didn't magically (said mockingly while wiggling the fingers) change into another card while you were holding it". This cements that impression in the viewers minds that the card DID magically change while being held by the spectator. "That's impossible. You've have to be some sort of real magician to do that." Then I see the card and look amazed saying, "How did you do that?!" I start bowing to them... as if they did the magic.
~ This turns a potentially poor situation into a very funny and magical one! Also, using careful word choices give the impression that the card has indeed changed under the spectator's hand!

If you have any additional thoughts or comments on these ideas, I would love to hear them! Thanks and happy shuffling!

Best,

Michael Matson
My Magic - My Way Entertainment
Conjuring With Character
www.MyMagicMyWay.com
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Michael,

Thanks! The Hot Shot out works great.
There's a couple of winners in your list as well. I absolutly LOVE liking the deck and handing it back! You have no idea how well that fits me! I perform Card In Mouth nearly every show, close up or stage.

I also enjoyed the whole: "I suppose you'll want to find the card too... go right ahead. Just take my whole job...which I love... and I pour my heart and soul into just to please and entertain all of you!? You wanna put me outta work? Would you want that.. then you'll have to support me and feed me and I eat... a lot! No, on second thought, I think I'll be doing the magic... took me 8 years to get it right. I put in the practice and now I'm going to put it to good use!"

I can see that as being VERY FUNNY. And not hostile at all when done right.
Excellent job!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
How about: "Sure."

Two things:

1. Crimp

2. Palm off the card.

Shuffling makes spectators happy. I wouldn't try to avoid it. I almost always let the cards be shuffled. Do it asap after the card has been returned and the effect will be stronger. Also, if you do it during the first effect you can later switch it for your memorized deck or whatever.

Seriously, why avoid the cards being shuffled?

And, learn a convincing false riffle shuffle. This is the standard American shuffle (in Europe, the overhand shuffle is used) and if you do the Eric Anderson shuffle very slowly in front of their eyes, for example, no one will ever ask you to shuffle.

Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 13:46, Matt Colman wrote:
Myself and a great friend of mine who works in the area where talking about this over a beer, we decided if they shuffled the cards more times when they werenít needed to they never asked to shuffle them in the times they canít be shuffled. Itís an uncompleted theory but it worked for us last night.

I don't know what your audience is like, but if you have a single group for your whole set (without others coming in to enter the group) -- and if you have the pocket space for two clean decks as well as whatever stack you're using -- you could start your set with the You Do As I Do routine from the Encyclopedia of Card Magic. It allows a spectator to fairly shuffle two decks, and should rid them of the idea that you're using stacks (while still maintaining a great story-line with an excellent ending).

As I mentioned, the two main problems with this is you need to keep an extra deck of cards in what are probably full pockets, and if there are people coming and going from your audience, odds are that some night, a spec who didn't see the opening routine will want to shuffle the cards. (Can't have everything.)

Bill
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Can I shuffle the cards, Mister Magician?

Oh, hell no.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
I don't know if this relates or not. I think I read somewhere that this was Harry Anderson's idea, but I used it and it worked perfectly. Before you start, toss out a deck to someone in the audience, tell them to inspect it, make sure it's legit. Once they've examined it, say "Does the deck look normal?" As they begin to hand it back to you, pull out another deck and say "That's ok, you can hold on to it. I don't know any tricks with a regular deck."

I think the audience thought I pulled out the second deck just to get a laugh and that it was identical to the first. Whatever they thought, no one seemed to have a problem with the fact that I wasn't using the deck that was inspected.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Quote:
On 2007-05-09 01:40, Billgussen wrote:
I don't know what your audience is like, but if you have a single group for your whole set (without others coming in to enter the group) -- and if you have the pocket space for two clean decks as well as whatever stack you're using -- you could start your set with the You Do As I Do routine from the Encyclopedia of Card Magic. It allows a spectator to fairly shuffle two decks, and should rid them of the idea that you're using stacks (while still maintaining a great story-line with an excellent ending).

Are you serious? This is wrong in so many ways...
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Now thatís funny! Ľ Ľ "Can I shuffle the cards mister magician" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL