The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet tricks. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
How do you justify, if at all, only doing a trick witha small packet of cards?

I have enjoyed simply adding them to a deck, doing a false shuffle and then counting off a few dards from the top. That is, when the packet looks like a normal one!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I use red and blue back Bicycle cards during my performances (just for variety) and so I don't find it difficult to switch in cards for a packet trick (I don't, however, perform many packet tricks).

Regards, Steve
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I generally do what you do - I add the packet to the deck and pull them off for the trick. I justify packet tricks by saying "A professional magician performs card tricks with a full deck, but as an amateur I'm only allowed to use a few cards at a time."

A funnier version is to say "...but as an amateur I'm not allowed to play with a full deck."
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
[quote]On 2006-11-03 13:07, wonderbott wrote:
How do you justify, if at all, only doing a trick witha small packet of cards?

I don't even try to justify it! Never been questioned either. Are you sure you're not "running when you're not being chased"?
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
As an inventor and producer of packet tricks I also use my favourates. But what is the problem? Most of the tricks do not even have normal playing cards printed on them. So they have a total different meaning and do not have to be added to a deck of cards. And so I carry these effects with me in my leather Showcase wallet of Ammar. This one is so nice and looks worthy so the cards become even a bigger value.

And so I have to say like gkfreed: why bother at all when it works well?

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Packet cards that look like playing cards I'll add to the deck.
I don't feel special looking tricks like Color Monte are a concern.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Absolutely no problem doping packet effects. Matter of fact they are my favorite card effects and usually more entertaining than full deck miracles..
Never had anyone say "How come you only have 5 cards?". Just enjoy the world of packet tricks as they are here to stay..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I'm with those who have no problem using packet effects...

I think this is another case of Magicians over-analyzing things....Remember, only magicians think about this stuff on an almost 24 hour basis...

When you hit a spectator (whether at a paid for gig where they expect Magic all the way to the Street performer doing guerilla Magic) the specy doesn't give a sh#t how many cards you have...

They just wanna be AMAZED....

So calm down and enjoy whatever you do to blow them spec's away!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Generally I find if you give the specs any reason as to why you would pull cards out of a leather wallet, instead of a deck, they'll accept that reason and think nothing of it. I say some have sentimental value. I say some are psychologically chosen (8 card brainwave). Or some I picked up on vacation (virginia city shuffle). Or just that it is easier than fishing through a deck for cards, like for 2 aces and a queen for three card monte.

But I find there are only so many cards that can fit into a card box, too limiting if you ask me. I have never been given any heat from taking cards out of my packet trick wallet...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Try performing Wild Card, and pull out eight 9 of clubs from a regular deck...You will get caught every time... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Buzz
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Buzz
I havn't been at it very long,but being a rookie Magi in training, I usually go for the packet tricks. Some times I will remove the amount of cards from a reg. deck ,put in the packet cards,then say,let me pull a few cards for a quick trick. Either way,no one has ever asked me why I don't use the whole deck.I don't think it raises any suspicion at all. Works for me.
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
Thanks for all the feedback. yes, maybe it is "running when not being chased" or maybe it is just setting up good psychology for the suspension of disbelief (said with tongue in cheek because it really COULD be either)

But I really appreciate all the replies and the thinking on this subject!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet tricks. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL