The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Underwater crate escape was a success! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Well, I'm happy to say that I'm still among the living after yesterdays publicity escape from a submerged crate in Cincinnati! We had a huge turnout, and got some good press. The actual escape took a lot longer than I had planned (no joke), but thankfully everything worked. You can read the story at:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a......11050364

(Yes, I know that several folks don't like the "chain handcuffs", but when there is this much on the line, I don't want to play around!). Ultimately, this was a stunt to draw attention to my upcoming show this weekend, and hopefully we accomplished that. Let me know what you think!

Phil
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Lately the newspapers have been filled with the reports on the status of the fight between Donald Trump and the Town of Palm Beach for his display of an extremely Huge American Flag that is well over the Regulation size for the towns codes. Another Master of Media? I like your purpose better Phil Smile
Very nice work!

Carry on
Cindi
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1825 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Phil...
Congrats on your escape and publicity! Hope the shows were a huge success. We'll see you in about a week.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Phil,

Bravo! Nicely done.

Yours,

Paul
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2006-11-05 21:55, freefallillusion1 wrote:
(Yes, I know that several folks don't like the "chain handcuffs", but when there is this much on the line, I don't want to play around!). Ultimately, this was a stunt to draw attention to my upcoming show this weekend, and hopefully we accomplished that. Let me know what you think!

Phil

Looks like you pulled it of fantastically!
And about anyone giving you grief about the "chain handcuffs"... You were doing this to impress the public, not just to wow magicians and escape artists. The general public is just as impressed by these as they would be regulation handcuffs, so why the heck not use them?
As a performer, I am much more impressed by good presentation that makes something look harder than it is than I would ever be by something harder made to look easy.
Besides...What you were doing was hard enough!
Bravo and congrats on a great job!
Gwyd
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Wow Phil, congrats on an excellent job!

You pulled off a great escape and received some great publicity too! The article states that you were under for 4 minutes 15 seconds in 40 degree water. No wonder you looked blue when they pulled you out. Brrrrr.

Congratulations again Phil on an excellent underwater escape. I hope you have a sellout crown at your shows this coming weekend.

Joe
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Excellent work, Phil! The pictures look great and should draw even more attention from the public. Good job!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Nicely done Phil. Congrats!

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Ooooooooooof those terrible oval cuffs again... exept this the escape looks exellent !
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
If anyone wants to see a better version of those oval cuffs, check out Steve Baker's French Transport Chains. Personally, I think they are a better substitution for oval cuffs. They're on his website at http://www.mrescape.com

And check out the picture of Steve in the 1968 Genii advertisement. To me he looks like a young William Shatner! Sorry Steve, no offense to you!

Just my opinion and preference.

Joe
-no, I don't get a dime for telling you this!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Great work. A replacement for the oval cuffs might be the "Modified Siberian Chain Escape" which hasn't been seen much. It's basically a long Siberian Escape Chain that is put on your wrists and then continues to loop around your neck, your upper arms, etc. You can practically design one of these yourself. Of course, the whole key to the escape is the Siberian chain wrist tie, and once that is off, the rest unravels pretty quickly. But it doesn't LOOK like a Siberian Chain Escape, so even little kids who have one in their magic kits can be fooled by it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
The reason I suggested Baker's French Transport Chains is that it is a fast in-again, out-again device along the lines of the oval cuff, but doesn't draw suspicion like the oval design does.

By the way, this suggestion doesn't take away from the fact that Phil performed a very excellent underwater escape and still deserves our congratulations for that feat!

Joe
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Thanks everyone for all your kind words! Last year I did an USD straitjacket to promote the show and this year was the UW crate, so now I think I offically "have the bug". I'm working on something really cool for next year, I just hope it comes off looking like the picture I have in my head! Thanks again everyone!

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Underwater crate escape was a success! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL