The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Morgul
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Morgul
I'm interested in doing coin magic, but I've got a couple of questions about storing coins for tricks.

1) Any suggestions for good ways to store special gaffs and items at home?

2) How do you keep various tricks straight in your pockets? I'm interested in being able to do multiple tricks with multiple types of coins, but I'm concerned about keeping the coins and gaffs in my pocket and being able to readily pick out the ones I need, preferably without searching. Any suggestions from pros on that?

Thanks!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
For gaffs and special sets, I use small cloth drawstring bags. And I store them all in a fishing tackle box.

Of course the real answer is to study Bobo's modern coin magic. Than you can use other people's coins. When I do coin work I carry 4 half dollars in an Okito coin box, a mexican centavo, a handkerchief and a playing card.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
At home I have some old wood storage units for cassettes, two drawer type. I modified these and lined them with heavy foam and cut slits in the foam. The larger gaff coins, that I don't use a lot, are in stored the slits.
At my practice area I have several regular coins in different compartments of a desk organizer. I also have some coins in a coin purse and yet more in a glass.
Small coin gaffs are in a coin purse and separated by card stock.

When ready to perform strolling magic I usually only take one or two gaffs and some regular coins. Which pockets I keep these in depends on which routines I want to do. I may keep some of the odd coins like Chinese and English coins or an entire routine in a coin purse and the regular coins and more common looking gaffs loose in my pockets.
Like I said, it depends on where, what, for who and the clothes I wear.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
You have to write this out. It's the best way memorize your moves:

PART 1
a. I take the Scotch out of my Top Left pocket with my right hand.
b. I then take the Soda out of my Bottom Right pocket with my left hand.
c. I then show the coins in my hands and ask my audience to remember where each coin is...

Part 2
a. I close my hands.
b. I ask where the Scotch is.
c. I show the opposite coin side.
d. repeat (until no longer amusing.)

Part 3
a. I show both coins between L. thumb and L. 1.
b. I tell my audience to "Watch close..."
c. I then disolve them, visibly, into one.

Do this enough times and you will have no problem remembering where you store each coin.

G
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you take your clothes to a tailor, have extra sections sewn in your pants and/or jacket pockets. That is what a lot of professional do.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Just put your gaffs in one pocket and the real ones in the other pocket.
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I sewed small pockets into the top back section of my outside coat pockets. Deep enough for a half dollar size coin and sectioned to the width of the same size coin. I can place my gaffed coins in there in position to be removed and when I take them out it looks natural. Keeps me from fumbling through sponge balls, etc. to find the english penny and having to feel the edges to see if it's the penny or a half dollar or a gaff, etc.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I sewed in each outside jacket pocket smaller pockets.
big enough for one gaff to fit in each one.
by counting from front to back I know exactly what gaff or gimmick I have in each of the small pockets.
the other coins I store in the opposite pocket

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL